“What a great little place, inobtrusively tucked away in plain sight!”

Bread and Chocolate
Ranked #1 of 8 Bakeries in Hamden
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a lovely little cafe, with great paninis and soups. It is a bright and sunny atmosphere, and those Hamden residents in the "know" seem to go here all the time.

1  Thank Dini68

Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was my first time at Bread and Chocolate. It is a small restaurant on Whitney Avenue in Hamden, CT. Definetly worth finding. Everything is made on site. The bread is wonderful. Crust is crispy. I had the French Onion Soup and a sandwich on a baguette with tomato, basil and pesto. The portion size is generous. I had to take 3/4 of the sandwich home. The soup was full of onions and not salty. My mother, who eats there frequently, ordered a half a sandwich. I can't wait to go back and try other things.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

The staff is friendly, the food is fresh and delicious with interesting and varying soups, sandwiches and sides and the atmosphere is lively and convivial. Always an enjoyable place for a nice lunch.

1  Thank Cindy H
Reviewed November 13, 2010

If you really like French baking, crusty bread, light rich croissant, scones and others, then Bread and Chocolate is without peer in Hamden, CT. If your planning a trip to one of the ubiquitous Pannera-factories or Dunkin' Don'ts, do your self a favor and try this place first. One reviewer writes about bugs in their salad. I thinks is always best to order what a restaurant does best, whether its fried food at Glenwood Drive In, or sushi at a Japanese restaurant. Well baguette and croissant is what Bread and Choc. does best, and if you live in Hamden, they alone are worth the trip.

Reviewed August 5, 2010

Bread and Chocolate used to be one of my favorite places to get lunch, but after today I will never go back there again. I ordered one of the salads from the specials menu and right before I was about to eat it, my friend pointed out an unwanted crawling green bug in the chicken salad. I brought my salad up to the register to tell the man about the bug, he quickly apologized and made me another salad. After eating the majority of this new salad I (unfortunately) found another bug. Once again, I went up to the register and told him about this new pest. I obviously did not want another salad, but I was expecting to at least receive an apology for not just one, but TWO bugs in my meal. When it was time to leave he actually CHARGED me for the salad!!!! Not only was this experience disgusting, but it was handled in the most unprofessional way and I am confident to say I will never go back there again let alone refer friends to this establishment.