“Location relax and BYOB”
Review of Blue Oar

Blue Oar
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Haddam
new england
“Location relax and BYOB”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

If you want a great seat at rivers edge and not a fancy place head here. The food is better than average with BYOB making this a great deal . It is a good place for larger groups the only draw back is bathrooms are a very long walk. Remember to bring a table cloth and wine glasses.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank ctgolftravel

Rocky Hill
“Go for the atmosphere. The food is just average.”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

It is a beautiful location on the Connecticut River. This was my first visit. CASH ONLY. You order at a shack and they bring it to your table. It is picnic tables outside. There are a few tables in a covered area in the deck of the shack. Byob if you want to drink alcohol. Lots of birthdays. A few hungry Mosquitos.

1 Thank Alison B
Venice, Florida
“Great place to relax.”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Went to the Blue Oar in Haddam yesterday for lunch with my sister. We both had sandwiches, she had a cheeseburgher asked for it rare and it was just the way she likes them. I had a turkey, bacon, avocado, lettuce and tomato sandwich. It was very good. Their potato salad was also very good. We went upstairs, ordered and then picked out a table along the Connecticut River. It was so relaxing watching the boats go by and listening to some good music. A server brought us our sandwiches and drinks. We decided to try a dessert but got it to go for later. It was wonderful, coconut lemon mousse, so light and satisfying. When we were done the server cleared the table and brought us our check. Please be aware they only take cash and if you want anything stronger than water, ice tea or soft drinks you have to bring your own. This is one place you should not miss if you are looking to just relax and unwind.

1 Thank rosie1858
Hull, Massachusetts
“Location, view and BYOB are it's best offers.”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Yes, BYOB and great views at a great location. That's it though!

Cooks and staff are nice and helpful. Food is fresh but average. We both ordered the same curry chicken but on different breads. My friend received more curry chicken due to his larger bread. IT WAS OBVIOUS!!! I though to myself "your kidding me" right??? NOPE, bigger bread gets bigger amount I was told. WOW...

BTW, it was my friend who received a bigger curry chicken sandwich, but he was the one to bring me here. Let's say I'm perplexed with this one...

I'll try another visit, only because of the info due to the friends I've heard from...
We will see...

Higganum, CT
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Picturesque and delicious”
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I visit the Blue Oar once or twice a summer. It seems to me it gets better each time. The setting right on the CT river could not be more beautiful; the light reflecting off the water, the docked boats swaying in the breeze, the occasional boat or kayak drifting by, the tiered areas for picnic tables, strung with tiny lights that glow after sunset. It's just a really, really pretty and very relaxing setting.
We all had fish on this visit. The scallops were big, seared, and served with a unique and tasty potato hash. Swordfish was a little skimpy for the price ($23), but well-cooked. Service was pleasant and prompt.
One thing that could be improved is the shack where you order your food, because it feels like - well, a shack. Just seems run down and dingy and could use freshening up.