“Very fun and great for groups!”
Review of The Place

The Place
Ranked #2 of 85 Restaurants in Guilford
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I probably would have been skeptical of The Place in concept only -- one of the benefits of going out to eat is not having to do anything and it sounded like The Place did the easy part (grilling) while guests do the harder part (preparing salads and side dishes.) But I had heard so much about it that I trusted it would be cool, and it was.

First off, you don't *have* to bring any side dishes; there is enough on the menu for a full meal (e.g. protein + corn.) But the magic is in going to The Place with a large group.

As I'm sure anyone who is reading this review knows, sometimes it's not fun to go out to eat with a large group. It can take forever, there's a lot of sitting, and with some people ordering a lot (especially drinks) and others ordering much less, there can be surprises or awkwardnesses when the bill comes. The Place is a great solution. In our group, everyone brought something -- a salad, a plate of cookies, wine, etc. The seating is very casual so people stood, moved around, etc. and I didn't feel like we were bothering anyone. We ordered clam appetizers and a bunch of corn to share, and everyone ordered their main dish.

The service was prompt, but we were not rushed at all. The food was tasty. I don't like corn much, but this corn was delicious. Our group lingered a while and as there were a few empty tables, didn't feel pressured to leave. The price was very reasonable.

As it was our first time there, others in our group took the lead on some of the details (e.g. cutlery) so I was off the hook for what might have been a bit of a hassle, but given that everyone else had been there before, I can only assume that whatever work goes into it is well worth it.

I would definitely recommend The Place!

1  Thank Allison R

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I've been wanting to come for a long time but was concerned about what I'd find at the end of the trip-now I regret not coming sooner! Yes it's rustic but not at all dicey as I'd imagined- The tables & tents are a cheerful red, & every table sports a big green bottle full of wildflowers!! The stumps were cute but we opted for the chairs (note to restaurant, however-the cracked ones need replacing before you lose a patron!). Table service ensured you don't have to queue up in a line for your BBQ . The grilled corn on the cob is to die for-huge, roasty & dripping with butter; we had the ribeye , bluefish, clams special & veggie kabob. Everything had a tasty sauce or seasoning & tasted super fresh. We didn't byob, sides, or table cloths- it's not at all necessary but could be fun the next time around. Yes, there will def be a next time!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We ate their for lunch, we were there soon after it opened. The food was ok but we left hungry after spending $50 for 2 adults and 1 child, for the value of what you get it's just not worth it. We had to get pizza after lunch, I really don't understand the rave reviews. My family has been in the restaurant business for 40 years and think I have a good grasp of good food and service and this just didn't meet that.

2  Thank Maria C
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I have heard about The Place for a number of years from family members and I finally got to try it out. Get there early as they don't take reservations. We had a large group of about 15 people and it was really fun. Al fresco dining at its best. Their motto is "put your rump on a stump" and literally you do! Bring your own drinks and side dishes and they provide the main dishes, fish, steak, chicken, lobster, etc. They also have delicious corn on the cob. They also have traditional New England shellfish dishes, clams, oysters, etc. I and the steak with corn and also samples the bluefish all was quite tasty. The Place is a fun dining experience worth having.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

What a lot of fun. Your seat is a stump, the menu is a huge sign nailed to poles, and its BYOB. Our group of 8 had the chicken, steak, catfish, blue fish, corn on the cob, vegetable kabob, and of course dessert. We all enjoyed our meals and the service was great. Everything is cooked on an out side grill. We loved watching them work. Very low keyed but a great evening.