“Enjoyable lunch with plenty of leisure time to talk!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ballou's Restaurant & Wine Bar

Ballou's Restaurant & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ballou's Restaurant & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 82 Restaurants in Guilford
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Ballou's is a casual and relaxed wine bar located adjacent to the historic Guilford Green. &. Ballou's is perfect for the night out with the girls or romantic get away. We have an out door patio that is dog FRIENDLY. Ballou's has an award winning WINE LIST with more than 80 wines by the glass and bottle beers. We are known for our "Wine Flights" three (3) pours of any of our wines by the glass! Sunday & Tuesday we have our Three Course Dinner $35 for (2). We offer a full menu including Cheese & Chocolate Fondue, Panini, Lobster Mac & Cheese and lots more.
Killingworth, Connecticut
“Enjoyable lunch with plenty of leisure time to talk!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

On the day of our visit, Ballou's had only a small lunch crowd. Our very polite and solicitous waiter gave us much time to make our wine and meal selections. The menu offered many luncheon selections and even had 1/2 Paninis- which is a real plus for me. Prices are reasonable. My fresh mozzarella, tomato and prosciutto Panini was tasty although I would have preferred it to have been warmer, especially to have the mozzarella creamier and the tomato not tepid. A bonus was being able to get reacquainted with a friend and not being rushed out the door.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Killingworth, Connecticut
“Varied wine menu- limited food menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband suggested Ballou's for wine and tapas. The wine menu is extensive and our server made some great wine suggestions. However, the menu choices are somewhat limited and very carb based- not what I was looking for. My salad was very good as we're the shrimp on the shrimp cocktail. The only damper on the evening was the behavior of some of the waitstaff. We arrived fairly early and there was more staff on than needed. Staff were LOUDLY socializing in the dining area often using excessive profanity. There was a table with a young child ( not sure why in a wine bar) within earshot of this language. We were definitely uncomfortable.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank MM8803
Waterford, Connecticut
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Went for a girls' night out on a Tues. night to try the 3-course dinner special for $35 for 2. What a delightful meal! We were able to sit and talk at length without being rushed. Our server was helpful and paced things as we requested. We liked the more unusual menu options, including many cheese platter and fondue appetizers as well as fondue for dessert. Different nights feature different specials. Check the website for these. A second restaurant is in Branford. This proved to be a delightful evening out and it is perfect for a casual, relaxing place to wine, dine or both.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Marilyn C
Branford, Connecticut
“All in all a cozy place to go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have been to Ballou's approximately 3 times in the past year. My most recent visit was this month. It is a nice place to go with friends. The atmosphere is perfect for sitting and catching up. The setting is cozy and its not too loud but you can talk freely and laugh out loud without worrying that you're disturbing anyone. The bar is accommodating and the wine specials are fun! The service has consistently been excellent and the staff is friendly. The food has been good but I was a little disappointed in the fondue. It could have been me but I thought the bread could've been better. I've shared appetizers with the table and every plate was delicious! All in all a great place to go! Very cozy!

• Visited May 2013
Meriden, Connecticut
“So Delish!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We bought a groupon for Ballous a while back. Unfortunetly we havent been having much luck with groupons lately. Seems like groupon is mostly selling deals for restaurants or establishments make a last ditch effort to stay afloat - which translates to really crappy food or service...etc.

So this groupon was expiring soon, so we said - well might as well use it and give it a try.

We were so so so pleasantly surprised! This groupon deffinitely paid off! We went with a group of 8 people, and were so happy to see this restaurant is right off the gorgeous Guilford Green. We were sat in an adorable corner section in a booth very nicely decorated with comfy pillow and it just made for a really soothing, fun and comfortable environment.

Our waitress was fantastic. She was very patient with us as it took us all a moment to "take it all in" as there are pages and pages of wines to choose from.

The wine list is nicely organized and easy to understand. Even a wine "rookie" would find it easy to find something suitable to their tastes.

Our groupon included a wine flight for each of us plus two fondues. The wine flight concept is such a neat idea. You get to choose three wines to "taste." However - you are given a very generous portion of each wine. Not your typical "tasting" pour. I included pics in my review.

The fondue was so so delicious. We had the tiger cheese fondue which is a monterey jack cheese with horse radish. So yummy. The fondue comes with sourdough bread for dipping and we also got the apples and carrots to dip. Our friends got the cheddar spinach fondue which was also very yummy, but im partial to a little "kick." We also got the chocolate peanut butter fondue for dessert - sooo sinfully good!! That is offered with mini rice krispies treats, bananas, strawberries and pound cake.

We all also got dinner. We all got either paninis or wraps. Although i did notice other guests had ordered the pasta dishes which looked and smelled incredible.

I personally got the apricot & brie panini. So so so yummy! Perhaps the best panini I have ever had. It was not over stuffed, and not over toasted. Nothing worse than a rock hard panini overstuffed with too much goo. Nope this panini was perfectly toasted with apricot & brie which surprisingly makes quite a pair :) My husband got the italian panini I believe. I do not eat meat, so I couldnt get a taste, but he too is also a bit of a "food snob" and he loved it. All of the paninis come with fresh greens, and fresh and delicious mediterranean olives.

The service was great, the food was great, the enviroment was wonderful. We will deffinitely be back! And my faith in groupon has been restored... maybe. This may have just been a super lucky and good buy ;0) It would have been fairly pricey without the groupon. However, its worth it even at full price.

I have already planned a girls night with my friends to go back!!

• Visited May 2013