“Biased”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We are biased about the Stone House and the Little Stone House. We first saw this restaurant in the winter, and the scenery was magnificent, so we encouraged a group of friends and relatives to buy the place, brought my brother-in-law, an executive chef from NYC, up to run it, and it has turned into a fantastic restaurant. Great fish, great seafood, wonderful views and an extremely loyal group of dining patrons.

We are blessed!!!!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Arrived in Guilford, CT from UK and was taken to dinner at this restaurant. Very vibrant and busy location. Food was great and staff very attentive and helpful. Restaurant is on the Sound but difficult to see the scenery as it was dark. All in all a great experience and i look forward to further visits.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Nestled at the harbor's edge in the historic town of Guilford, CT you will find the Stone House Restaurant. It is a delightful restaurant in a delightful location. The food is great. My wife and I recently dined here. Her pan seared scallops and saffron risotto were prepared perfectly. My swordfish steak and fried squash ravioli was wonderfully tasty.

Our server was pleasant, helpful and respectful of our dining time. The service could not have been better.

Yes, we shall return.

Edie and Dave

Reviewed October 10, 2013

The first thing to say about the Stone House is the fish dishes should be why you go. They are generally delicious, fresh, well prepared and nicely presented - if a little skimpy in the portion department on occasion. The pasta dishes are usually extraordinary; proper high restaurant fayre.
We prefer to go at lunchtime or on quiet evenings because the dining experience suffers when they're busy. The waitstaff seem invariably stressed; service gets spotty and frustrating for all. We try to avoid one waiter - who's been there for years - whose english borders on unintelligible, forgets what's on the menu, and gets annoyed when asked anything at all. Why is he still there?
The bar area, again, gets busy to the point of distraction - but if it's a party you want it's a fine spot for atmosphere. Again, we prefer a glass of wine at the high tables with the seared tuna and crab cakes appetizers.
The setting, down at the Guilford harbor, is one of the better reasons to visit the Stone House. A little walk before or after your meal adds so much to the experience. That's why it gets four marks rather than three.
During high season, the Little Stone House next door is a charming spot with outdoor seating - if a little loud when the tide is running over the nearby sluice gates.
Would we go to the Stone House if it were located anywhere else in town? Probably not these days! But if they addressed customer flow and service issues, there would be no reason not to!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

For about 2 years my husband had been trying to take me to The Stone House for dinner. Previous reservations had to be cancelled for a variety of reasons. So, we finally dined there last night for our anniversary. I was not impressed at all. While the food was good, the service left much to be desired. We arrived and were seated at our table near the door and the bathrooms. The young lady seating us did offer to close the door if it was too chilly. The food was good, but not exceptional. I ordered the stuffed lobster. When it came to the table, I commented to my husband that even the walk-up lobster shacks alongside the seashore, crack the claws for you. So, if there was an option for the meat to be removed, it wasn't offered by our waiter who was less than attentive. We literally had to rearrange our glasses on the table to get him to notice that my husband's soda needed to be refilled. I had two glasses of the French Sangria which was great. The place was crowded with what appeared to be lot's of locals and the parking lot was full. Dinner for two was around $115.00, a bit over-priced for the lack-luster service and casual atmosphere. Definately not on my "must eat-her-again" list.

1  Thank ladyinmaryland