“In a week I won't remember the meal”
Review of The Stone House Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My memory is fine thanks. But what I am finding is that increasingly I am getting routine meals at restaurants that know how to charge but don't deliver food I will come back for. Too often, I find that everything tastes good-not great but then they fall down on the entre. That is the case here and I think I am being charitable. Their hearts were in the right place but they just didn't deliver the goods.

Over a few years we have been to the Stone House several times, most recently for late lunch mid July 2013. I had the short ribs which were adequate but by no means memorable. The rest of the meal for myself and three others was nondescript; however, the New England clam chowder was better than the rest of the meal. Not good nor bad it was an average meal but certainly not a destination we would go out of our way for. The restaurant is in an attractive standalone building with plenty of parking and close to Long Island Sound; no view, however. We have also eaten at the restaurant directly across the street whose name escapes me. That restaurant is much less formal (not that the Stone House is formal) and there we have had mixed results. With the high cost of food today we are being far more discriminating in where we spend our food dollar and with that in mind we will pass on both in the future.

1  Thank chillisgone

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We sit in the bar area (reservations are accepted and recommended!) The menu has a lot to offer and for the food you receive its priced accordingally. I am a big fan of the ahi tuna sandwich or the swordfish club! Great martini list as well. They also do a lovely brunch and private parties. It was the location of our wedding rehersal dinner, couldn't have asked for better food , service or overall experience!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

After a delightful 1-hour shoreline cruise in Guilford, my husband and I stopped at the Stone House for lunch. The food was delicious and the prices reasonable. Highly recommend the New England clam chowder (one of the best I've had) and the swordfish kebob. Very good service and nice view.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stone House is a nice place to eat in Guilford Conn. Be sure to make a reservation for a table in the bar area. The Bar menu is extensive and drinks are reasonable. We especially liked the raw seafood- calms and oysters. The broiled scallops on the regular menu were exceptional. Reservations are a must!!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife's diver scallops can be rated as a 8.5 while my surf and turf can be rated as a 5.5 (on a scale of 1-10). My steak was tough and the half lobster was small. Even though we went there on a Wednesday night, the place was full and the service was slow. Apparently the Stone House is a favorite of the local folks.