“Pleasant unexpected stopover”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 11, 2012

On our way to Newport our car started making noises that made us nervous so we stopped off in Guilford, CT. I had been told by friends that it was a very picturesque town with a center green and a nice walk down to the beach (if you don't mind a 20 min stroll). We didn't want a full dinner but had 3 appetizers; the baked oysters, crab cakes and fried calamari. They were all excellent, the service was very good and my margarita was fresh, not from a mix. We would definitely return.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Can't go wrong if you walk into Stone House for lunch or dinner. Wonderful atmosphere by the harbor, great selections on the menu, well prepared and a fun bar scene. Locals love the place which means.....it's gotta be good!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I live close to this restaurant and try each year to give it another chance. I am ALWAYS disappointed. The dining room menu is limited ..nothing out of the ordinary. My husband and I both had overcooked, tasteless meals. It is not cheap either.... $21 for a dry piece of chicken with some kind of greasy thick "popover" as they describe it.
I think the bar menu is better as it always seems to be crowded on the bar side. Lunch at the Little Stone House sandwich shop is fine. I will NEVER go back to the dining room however, after numerous bad meals.

3  Thank Jane C
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Went to the Stone House for an early dinner after kayaking in Clinton one beautiful Sunday afternoon a couple of weeks ago. It was a wonderful dining experience. The California Freesia with Pears, Apples and Gorgonzola salad was perfect and the Seared Diver Sea Scallops with Herb Risotto and Asparagus entree was perfectly prepared.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

While traveling down by the CT shoreline, running errands and craving a yummy lunch with a view, I remembered The Stone House as I had been there in the past with friends. Being alone, I quickly assumed a seat at the bar. If you so choose to sit at a high top, you do have a great view of the water and marina. The bartender was easy to talk to and engaging. I ordered their house chardonnay and looked over the lunch menu. I was slightly disappointed that they didn't have a bucket of steamers as an app - they had mussels, oysters, however, I love, love, love clams and really had a hankering for them. So, I switched gears and opted for the portobello mushroom sandwich with melted brie and avocado over spinach greens. I orginally thought, what a strange combination, however, I was pleasantly surprised by the richness of the brie along with the earthy portobello. I downed another glass of chardonnay before I headed out. All in all, it was a great spot to take a lunch break. Great views, charming New England seascape, nice container plantings. If you should go there in the winter months, they have a lovely 360 degree fireplace in the center of the high top tables in the bar. After lunch, you should hit up downtown Guilford for their charming shops and there always seems to be something going on on the green - today, an arts and crafts festival and a Potato and Corn Festival - who knew??? Enjoy fellow foodies.

1  Thank neverroamalone