“First Try”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Call For Hours
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The atmosphere was of a very small restaurant that packs the people in. Reminds me of a hole in the wall in NY, but I kind of like that. Not a lot of room when you are waiting, but you do not feel too crowded at dinner.

Service was slow, especially for the drink orders. Food was reasonabley priced (mid 20's average). Everyone's food tased really good but the presentation was a bit lacking. The tenderloin and salmon entre's were small, but the flavor was definitely there.

Overall, the food lacked a bit of inspiration but was good. Not a place I would be in a hurry to return to, but it is worth a try for first timers.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Went early, 5 pm as I had missed lunch. We had a Groupon coupon, $80, and wanted to use it. Nice view of Guilford Green. We enjoyed watching the dog walkers. Overall, location on Guilford Green has much to recommend it. I ordered filet mignon and was not impressed. I have had better at numerous clubs and Davenports in New Haven. Not bad, but not melt in my mouth great. My wife loved her tuna special. Shrimp appetizer was also excellent, as were desserts. Very good bread. I had a glass of wine, my wife a martini. Total cost for dinner for two $130, which is why my rating is not higher. Nice art on walls, seating was ok but not great. Obviously they try to cram a lot in at busy times. My out-of-pocket cost including the Groupon was $90, a price at which I would return. Without the Groupon, I feel there are better
values in the area, e.g., LoMonaco's, so this is unlikely to be a regular stop for my wife and me.

1  Thank Peter33851
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We have lived in the area for a long time and never been in this restaurant...I got a Groupon, so we went! We were not disappointed at all. The atmosphere is quiet and lovely. Now, we did go on a Wednesday evening fairly early (6:00ish), but it was a calm and lovely place!

The tables are very, very close together. We sat at a two top near the front and the hostess tried to spread the crowd as well as she could. She seemed to be very accommodating when I saw her try to reposition couples who were scheduled to sit very close to other couples. As I said, It was early on a quiet night, but I imagine it gets pretty tight sometimes.

THE FOOD IS WONDERFUL! We shared the mussel 'small plate'. Nothing small about this plate...and the sauce was sublime! And there were frizzled fries on top! Oh, come on! What could be better? Well, better was the swordfish special with couscous and asparagus! Oh, my. My husband got the beef tenderloin with spinach and mashed potatos...it came out perfectly as ordered and he cut it with a fork! I'm not one who ooohs and aahhs about food, but this was really good food!

The service is wonderful. The wine is def overpriced. Buy a bottle. The glasses are $11 per. My only minor complaint. That's the only reason why it didn't get excellent with me.

ENJOY!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We have dined here numerous times and never once have we been disappointed. I would recommend you make reservations as the restaurant has quite a steady clientel . For not being a steak house we always are amazed what a super job they do on their filet mignon, it beat out prime cuts in some of those high end steak houses we have dined in CT.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Atmospher are ok but the value for the dinner was not there. Been there several times and never come away feeling like we had a great meal at a reasonable price. We eat out three times per week.