“everyday but a holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Whitfield's on Guilford Green - CLOSED

Whitfield's on Guilford Green
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Call For Hours
wallinford Connecticut
“everyday but a holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have eaten there twice in the past few weeks. My wife and I ate there on a Thursday nite and everything was spectacular: food, service, decor and the best table in the house. We loved it. Three days later on Easter Sunday nine of us went for brunch. The entrees were very good (buffet), but the service w as both rushed and spotty. We were all surprised and disappointed that coffee and dessert were not included. Many Saturday evenings during the past summer nine of us (all Family) dine on the rear outside pateo. Terrific landscapped view. good sercice, nice small plate choices at reasonable prices. the grankids were able to bring their dogs. We all have fun and intend to return this coming summer.

• Visited March 2013

East Haven, Connecticut
“Great food, horrendous service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

First time going to Whitfield's and I was very excited, because the menu online intrigued me. We had reservations and were seated immediately. Menus were already on the table, thankfully, because it gave us something to do while we were ignored. A gentleman (not our server) did stop by to bring us a few pieces of bread and some water, but that was it for a very long time. Our server finally came over and asked if we had decided what we wanted for dinner. We hadn't even had a chance to order a drink yet. Luckily, we knew what we wanted, so we ordered cocktails and our dinner. I had the presence of mind to pre-order a glass of wine to be brought with my meal and, looking back, it was the best idea I had that night.

Our server brought our cocktails - mine was a martini, so understandably difficult to carry without spilling. However, when your server spills your martini all over the table, you kind of expect someone to clean it up. Didn't happen. Sticky pear-tini spilled stayed on the table for the duration. Someone else (not our server) brought our meals. My husband got the hanger steak, which he liked, and I got the beef short ribs, which were to DIE for. I was very happy with my meal.

However, no one came by to see how or meals were, or if we needed anything else. My husband needed a drink, but we were unable to even flag anyone down. Our server didn't show up again until we had been sitting with empty plates for quite some time. The hostess stopped by and asked us if we wanted more bread. We said yes. It never arrived.

Our server asked us if we wanted dessert. We did, and we ordered a dessert to share. She asked us if we had a second choice, just in case they were out of it. We told her that our back up dessert was chocolate lava cake. She returned with our second choice, with no explanation or apology, so we assumed they were out of our first choice. I asked for the bill, because I knew it would be ages before I saw her again and she brought it.

We dug into the chocolate lava cake, only to discover there wasn't any lava - it was a stale little chocolate cake with some ice cream on top.

NEVER going back.

• Visited April 2013
Cheshire, Connecticut
“On the green for a nice view but just OK this time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Friends invited us to dinner at Whitfields. A bit of an excursion for us but we had been there before with other fiends for cocktails and remember it to be a cute, elegant place on the green and said we would like to go back to dinner - so we did!

My wife and I arrived early so we took a seat at the bar to enjoy the view of the green and enjoy a glass of wine at a leisurely pace. Leisurely it was as the one bartender was very busy serving dinners and preparing drinks for the wait staff. So we waited a while to order and a while to get our drinks and worse, in bar that seats a cozy 10 - a bartender who could not make eye contact as she was to busy, flustered? This is a pet peeve of mine especially watching a manger, who was nto their to say hello when we arrived and wait staff milling about - someone has to see the flow does not work behind the bar. My second pet peeve is the short pours that occur as the price increases. Now you get the 3 rating.

So our friends arrive and we are seated and the opportunity for a great meal beckons as a wonderful waitress takes time to get a sense of pur pace, is helpful with our menu questions and service is excellent. Bread replaced, butter option glaldy filled over oil, miscue on the souce handled deftly. For her service we should rate this a 4+. For this experience we would go back.

Food was very good and tasty. I wish there was more of the cauliflower puree to enjoy with the lamb as it was just a small splash on the plate to make look appetizing and it was - just very little of it. Other dinners served looked good and lates were cleaned - so worth going back - ut seems so. Perhaps with a Groupon offer.

Desert options were limited but we enjoyed tremendously. To bad the short pour espresso was served cold, no lemon peel.

We left and no one said good bye. Place is very very busy - perhaps they did no notice.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank 3nicks27
Guilford, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“good food with a front row seat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Good wine choices with a view of the green and town activity good lite fare on the menu as well as great specials. I have seen some good live entertainment as well usually on the week ends.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank greg p
Bridgeport, Connecticut
“Sunday Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

I purchased a LivingSocial deal for brunch, with a value of $50 to spend. Having looked at the menu prior to purchasing the deal, I felt confident that with a friend, we'd be able to get the value out of the deal.

We were rushed to get to Guilford by 3pm, which is their closing time, because we were coming from Fairfield County and our church service lets out at 1pm, but it was 1st Sunday with communion so service ran over a bit. As expected, we ran late for our 1:30 reservation and when I called to say that we were running late and would be there prior to 2, I was reminded that they closed at 3p. I was left with the impression that we might not be served, even with an hour to spare...

Anyway, we arrived at about 1:50 and was promptly seated. The restaurant location was idyll as it is set across the street from the green, and we were seated right in front. I was a little disappointed as the menu presented to us was not the brunch menu I remembered when I purchased the deal. However, we both ordered mimosas, he ordered eggs, sausage and toast and I ordered a veggie omelet. I thought I was substituting the pork sausage for an order of salmon (I was told there would be an up charge), but what I received was lox placed over my omelet. Again, a little disappointed since there was salmon on the menu, so I thought the request for the substitute would have been easily understood. But I took it in stride and ate my food.

Overall, the combined food, service and ambiance were good and that trumped everything else.