“Beautifully decorated with scrumptious...”

Thai Sawasdee Authentic Thai Cuisine
Ranked #24 of 120 Restaurants in Groton
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Connecticut
“Beautifully decorated with scrumptious...”
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Beautifully decorated with scrumptious Thai cuisine. Great place for a date or business lunch. Friendly service. A++

Mystic, Connecticut
“Have watched this gem grow brighter”
Reviewed July 29, 2010

This is my favorite Thai restaurant in Southeast Connecticut. We visit about six times a year both with just the wife and I as well as visitors, friends etc. I have been there for lunch and for Dinner.They are obviously doing all the right things. Changes that I have observed include updating the place with fresh paint and new flooring as well as employing staff whose first language is English, to take accurate phone orders I suppose.The food is always fresh. We often order a soup in a hot pot which is shared between the two of us (3 could comfortably do so too). My favorite are the papaya or beef salad (making it extra spicy!!) and the drunken noodles/rice. My wife usually picks a chicken dish like with chili sauce or basil. We have practically gone through most of the menu. We try and not order the coconut sauce items because we make something similar at home. The biggest draw for Thai food for me is the explosion of different flavors in the mouth and a good restaurant is one that has mastered that art like at this restaurant. Incidentally the bathrooms are always clean and fresh smelling. The one big criticism I have is the tendency for the main course to arrive at the heels of the soup/appetizer. This is a common occurrence in most Asian places whether it be Thai, Chinese or Indian.It must be a cultural thing and they have not grasped the American way of having each course be savored and finished before the next one is served. The problem is easily solved. We will order the appetizer first, finish that and then order the main dish. That also allows us to emphasize how spicy we want it. We have encountered places where the chef will just not make it extra spicy (maybe the wait staff get it wrong?) and instead serve with chili sauce on the side - this is not the same as cooking it in. Thankfully that part has not been a problem at Thai Sawasdee. I would recommend this place highly to anyone seeking good authentic Thai food. If you are ordering Pad Thai than you know very little about Thai food - it is like a tourist in America always ordering a hot dog in a restaurant and going home thinking he had great American food.

Old Saybook
“I have heard a lot about......”
Reviewed February 16, 2010

First time visitors for Valentine's dinner- encouraged to try Super Sweet set for 2 and LOVED it!!!!! Exciting and full of flavor. It was a 2 hour eating experience! the place was buzzing - atmosphere completes the package- highly recommend

Groton, CT
“No, No, No...”
Reviewed October 15, 2009

The food is really mediocre. I've actually been a customer since Thai Sawasdee opened in fall 2007, and the reason for me to go back is because it is very close to my home so that when I don't feel like cooking dinner, I would go there--either dine in or get takeouts. So far I havent found one dish that I like it enough to order twice. The protein is always overcooked and bland. The Thai noodle soup is all wrong. Curry is OK, but if you buy a jar of curry paste in the Asian market, and mix with meat and veggie, there won't be much difference. Be careful when you call to get your takeouts. The person aswering the phone isn't a fluent English speaker, and sometimes she gets the flavor completely wrong. Once I ordered drunken noodle extra spicy, and when I brought food home, there wasn't one molecule of hot pepper in the entire dish, and it was annoyingly sweet. Sad to say I may go back again, since there is really no decent Asian restaurant in the area.

1 Thank 6feetunder
Rose71, Owner at Thai Sawasdee Authentic Thai Cuisine, responded to this review, January 29, 2010
Our food is fresh, and made with quality ingredients. No MSG ,Color,chemical-FREE
The staff here that can't speak English fluently as born here,but our employees trained and able to communicate with customers in a well
CT
“Refreshing”
Reviewed January 2, 2009

Last night my husband decided to spoil me and take me out on date. I was creaving Thai food but let's face it the choices are not the best in this area. I read a review about this little restaurant in Groton, and so we went. It's located in the family dollar plaza, it's cute, comfortable and the service was right n the money. The food was awesome. The best papaya salad I have ever had and that is my favorite. I will be back again and again. I recommed.