“Just don't stay near lobby”
Review of Super 8 Groton

Super 8 Groton
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Reviewed May 15, 2007

I booked the Super 8 through Travelocity and received exactly what I requested (2 double beds, nonsmoking). Finding the place was easy, as it was just off 95.

The area didn't seem bad. There was a Taco Bell and KFC nearby. Parking was ample, athough there were not any available spots near the room. You're about 15 minutes from the Mohegan Sun and maybe 5 from the Navy base and sub museum.

The staff was extremely courteous and the room was clean. Although the heater/cooler looked like it was damaged, it worked fine.

Our room was actually off of the lobby, directly across from the breakfast room. My only complaint was that starting at 6 am, everytime someone made a waffle, we heard "beep, beep, beep." It was really loud and there's not much you can do about it. If you don't go through a discount website, you may be able to request a room away from the lobby. Stay away from room 117 if at all possible!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed March 27, 2007

I've never stayed at a Super 8 before but after reading the good reviews on here I decided to book it for one night. I paid $56 including taxes. Nothing went wrong with our stay but my fiance and I both came up with the same word to describe this Super 8 "creepy ". The outside of the building is old and across the street there is an empty Ihop. I thought the room was fine and the bed pretty comfortable. The make your own waffles were yummy. This place is ok for one night if you plan on being at the Casino's for most of your stay and you're on a tight budget.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2007

We just stayed at the Super 8 in Groton over the Martin Luther King Day weekend for one night. It was a very nice clean hotel. The room was big and quiet, it had a fridge and a microwave and cable TV. The hotel had great highway access to route 95. It's about 15-20 minutes from Mohegan Sun. It is a great value for the price.

• Stayed: January 2007
Reviewed January 14, 2007

Booked the room on the motel's website since it saved me $10 (the room was $53). I was surprised the bed was comfortable and the non-smoking room actually didn't smell like smoke, have had some bad experiences at other Super 8 motels. Checked in at midnight and the guy was friendly, it seemed a little slow, but since the guy was friendly we didn't mind. The breakfast in the morning wasn't great, but the make-your-own waffle station was decent. Overall it was a great deal for the price and would come back again.

Reviewed August 13, 2006

Stayed at the Super 8 in Groton on Sat night with the family. Check in was no problem, the front desk staff was very friendly. The room was clean and had a fridge and microwave. However, there was no closet or iron which was disappointing and the room had a slight musty odor. The entire hotel was is in desperate need of an overhaul, but considering it is a budget hotel I wasn't expecting the Four Seasons. It was quiet which was surprising considering it's location. Overall, it was fine for a one night stay but that's about it.

Reviewed August 2, 2006

I think I'd stayed in a Super 8 Motel before, but have pretty much stayed in most of the budget chain motels, so know what they are about. This one was recommended to us by a friend nearby, so that helped. Most of the people staying at the place are there to visit the nearby casinos, which are one of the main attractions in the area. You can see that fact reflected by the demographic of the guests, who obviously come from all over to have a good time.

For the price ($65 a night), this place was a good value and was one of the cheaper places in that area. Booking was easy, via Hotels.com, but the directions I got from that site were actually wrong. Fortunately, the area is small, and when I called from the road to double check the directions, the clerk sorted everything out for me. He was very, very nice (Terrence), but not sure if anyone there cared enough to contact hotels.com to save some other folks future trouble.

The night manager was not friendly at all, but the guy checking me out two days later was nice enough to print out the mapquest directions I'd looked up for our next destination (the printer for the free comp. was not working). Getting on the comp. was not too hard (I usu. get on late at night), but I had to compete with some pro poker player, who wanted to participate in a four-hour tournament (!!) that second night. I needed to get to sleep, anyway, as we had a long drive the next day.

The rooms were fine. Had a microwave and a fridge, which is always nice, but I had to move the microwave to an awkward place to plug it in. The muffins in the morning weren't great, but it was cool that you could make your own waffles if you wanted to.

What was weird was the way the maid left our used soap stuck to the side of the backsplash. A little weird, that's all. Otherwise, the place is clean with convenient parking, parquet floor in the elevator (something you don't see every day), and a nice Asian theme in the lobby (guess the place is owned by Chinese). It would have been nice if there was an iron and ironing board in the room (this seems to be standard in better hotels and even other budget hotels), but I guess if I was desperate, I could have inquired to see if I could borrow one.

I would have no problem staying at this place again, unless, of course, I really wanted the B&B experience next time I visit that area, which would be more expensive, but fun.

2  Thank burninggirl
Reviewed July 24, 2006

We decided to go to the Mohiecan sun last minute with our 2 year old daughter. We got a great price. The manager on duty was very nice when we checked in and I asked about a crib and he said give him 10 min . I also asked for an end room because i really did not want my daughter bothering them . The rooms were nbice and clean. the hallways were very warm . The crib was in the room by the time we got there and it was in good shape and not falling apart. The " Breakfast" left little to be deisred. The coffee was not ready and there was not juice. There was a waffle maker. But when i asked for milk I was told there was not any.. but the manager came in and told the guy to get the milk..( there was a HUGE Stop and shop right across the street) . But for a free breakfast it was fine....

Our overall stay was great and we would totally stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Mitchell C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Days Inn & Suites Groton Near the Casinos
#8 of 14 in Groton
Ramada Groton
Ramada Groton
#7 of 14 in Groton

Been to Super 8 Groton? Share your experiences!