“not very clean, but unbeatable price”
Review of Super 8 Groton

Super 8 Groton
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Floor, lobby, elevator and breakfast room were dirty and smelly while the room (incl. bathroom) was acceptable clean and had fridge and microwave.

The price was unbeatable, so if you are tough, you may save some bucks here.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marilyn_x

Reviewed June 28, 2009

This hotel is strictly for sleeping only. If you go there expecting more you will be disappointed. The parking lot fills up fast at night but the staff doesn't mind if you park along the curb out front. We booked through Orbitz for a non smoking room but were given a smoking room and were told we could not change the room because we booked through a third party. The room smelled like cigarette smoke and do NOT turn on the air conditioning unless you want to be overwhelmed by musty air. On the bright side the bathroom was clean and comfortable. The complementary breakfast was more than expected, where they had free coffee, juice, bagels, and a waffle maker with batter.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed here in late April, we arrived at 3 am on a Sunday morning due to traffic being backed up on the New Jersey turnpike. When we got to the hotel, there was a cop car out front and a woman being taken away in handcuffs. We were given a hotel room right next to the lobby because it was all they had and the manager told us we could move later that day to another room. There was still another cop around after we checked in. Our room was okay, the blankets were thin and one had some dirt smeared on the outside. We were hardly able to sleep at 6 am because of all the commotion out in the lobby and the breakfast room was right across from ours. After we returned from our sightseeing in the evening, my husband talked to the young kid that was working the front desk. He kept telling my husband that he really shouldn't give us another room and it was so late in the day...this was after we were told twice by two other people that switching rooms wouldn't be a problem. We were finally given keys to a room 6 doors down. This room had a weird smell that didn't go away and the fridge was noisy. The blankets were also dirty and the pillowcases had stains. We decided to head out for dinner and out in the parking lot were two police vehicles who were talking to a guy outside near a truck. I didn't like this place at all--I have stayed in cheap hotels before that were way better, they were cleaner and didn't have cops around all the time.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sailorsgirl77
Reviewed January 2, 2009

Booked through Hotwire. A 2-star. This hotel is 1-star, at best. Front desk employees courteous. Rooms felt dirty. Hallways not clean. Entire hotel has a stale/smokey smell. Room and bathroom need overhaul. I felt uncomfortable sleeping the bed/in the sheets and bedspread (yuck!), walking on the carpet without shoes, using the bathroom. I don't 'skeeve' very easily, but this place was gross. We were on 3rd floor, a fight brokeout on 2nd floor in the middle of the night - lots of loud voices, screaming/commotion, police cars in the parking lot for an hour or more. Overall, a really bad experience. Breakfast was standard (waffles, bagels, cereal), but the breakfast room was very small for a hotel of this size - only 3 or 4 tables and it was understaffed - meaning it was very messy. Don't stay at this hotel. There are many other 2 star - real 2 star - choices in the area.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cmdobee
Reviewed November 22, 2008

We stayed at the Super 8 for one night for a visit to Mohegan Sun Casino. We found the hotel to be very clean and our king bed room was very large w/ a micro/fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer & basic toiletries. It was in a great location off I-95 and only a 15 minute drive to the casino. They had the basic continental breakfast (bagels, danish, muffins, juice, coffee) but they did have a waffle maker. They also had internet access in the lobby and laundry facilities if you needed either of those. There are a few restaurants in the general area and convenience stores. We paid $49 + tax for the one night and would stay there again if we were in the area. Foxwoods Casino is also close by as well as Mystic Seaport.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2008

The Super8 motel in Groton was pretty much as expected. The room was clean, well laid out and everything worked properly. There was a great Italian restaurant nearby. The continental breakfast was somewhat more expansive than normal. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. All in all quite a good experience. Well worth the low price.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 9, 2008

The hotel was a lot better than I expected. I chose this hotel b/c it was cheap and we were there to go to Mohegan which was so close by.

I was surprised to find that the room and bathroom were pretty clean (I always check out the bathroom first). Bathroom shower had good pressure. The amenities were bare necessities, but it wasn't important because i usually bring my own shampoo and toothpaste. We needed another towel and soap, and housekeeping got it to us pretty quickly. The bed were comfy and the pillows were how I liked them. A/C was strong so I got a good night's rest.

Morning had breakfast. The waffles machine was a surprise. Never would have expected that. Coffee was so so, but I only like dunkin donuts coffee. The breakfast room was a little messy from the people before me, but the staff cleaned it up when I asked them to.

I spent most of the weekend out at the casino and was happy b/c I won 50 bucks in blackjack. hotel was good b/c I saved money to spend at the casino. it's not my first choice, but it's definitely value for money. I am heading back next month and will prob stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Rodeway Inn
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville
Rodeway Inn Waterford
Rodeway Inn Waterford
#2 of 5 in Waterford

Been to Super 8 Groton? Share your experiences!