“Don't stay here!”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Groton
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Reviewed April 30, 2006

The rooms were far below standard. All the furniture is old worn and dirty! We had 3 rooms booked and had to change out of 2 of them. The non-smoking room was not! Our room had old towels stuffed on the windowsill to catch the dripping rain water. Above and below the window the wall was falling apart from absorbing all the leaks. The bathroom had stains all over the ceiling. The chairs had grease marks on the arms and stains on the seats. Only 2 small bath taowels in our room. In our friend's room they had only one, and the staff was not pleased to provide them with another. We should have left, but it was raining heavily and we did not want to drive further.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank RGKNY

Groton, CT
Reviewed April 20, 2006

My family is relocating to the area and we had planned on staying at the Sojourner Inn while we looked for a house. We chose the suite with the seperate bedroom. The rooms are tastefully decorated and quite spacious, but the furnishings seemed a bit old.

Early this morning my wife had an appointment so I decided to sleep in. While I was in the bathroom I heard the room phone ring but I didn't get to it in time. I thought nothing of it and went back in the bedroom to lay down. I thought that I heard some noise coming from the living room area and I opened the door to find one of the hotel workers going through our belongings.

When I opened the door it startled the worker and all that he could say was "I didn't see the sign", without ever looking back at the door. We called the police and to our surprise the person in our room was the hotel manager and his reason that he told the police officer for going through our belongings was to see if we needed room service.

To make a long story short we immediately made other arrangements for a place to stay.

I will be honest, we were suspicious because when we'd leave the room (even with the "privacy please" sign up) and return later things seemed like they weren't where we put them. But, never in my life have I even encountered such a blatant and unwarranted violation of privacy.

• Stayed: April 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 22, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights the last week in April 2005. This was our first time in Groton, CT and I booked the luxury room with a king bed and jacuzzi and it has a large living room area with a kitchenette area.

The microwave was old and dirty from circa 1980 and the couches were worn and ripped. There was no heat on one side of the room and the other side had heat but made sparking noises when turned on. The toliet was dripping (very loud) and didn't flush right and was loose when you sit on it. The maintenance man spoke only spanish and it was hard to communicate with him about the toilet problems and heat problems. We had to wait a long time while an electrician came by the next day and he told us that the heater/a/c unit needs to be replaced and that he fixed 6 units in the past week. He said the units are about 15 years old and the owners have been slow to replace them. The front desk person told us she would give us another luxury room but we passed as they were worse than the room we were staying in! The other room she showed us had no heat as well and was in worse shape. The fire alarm kept going off a few times a day and the front desk kept calling us to see if we were cooking in the room. I wouldn't touch those old pots and dishes in the cupboards if you paid me to.

The blinds were bent on all the windows and didn't open and there is a huge cathedral window without any blinds or shade on it which lit up the entire room and it was so hard to get sleep as the light from the parking lot was shining in our room at night and as soon as the sun was up so were we! We hardly slept.

The staff are friendly but not accommodating. I called many times the front desk and they told me that they have not received any complaints about the problems we were having and that there is nothing they can do for us.

I have to say is that the king bed was comfortable but we didn't sleep much due to the noise from the dripping toilet and having constant light in the room. There were 2 TVs with Cable TV which was nice and the room was pretty much clean. The jacuzzi was small but it was clean and it worked. We had to beg for extra Towels which were worn as they only gave you 1 hand towel and 2 small bath towels in the room and were told they ran out of towels and would come by later to bring us more. This went on for 3 days! This hotel needs major updating and we will not be staying here again!

• Stayed: April 2005
9  Thank travelergo
Bronx, New york
Reviewed March 31, 2005

My husband and I and a couple of our friends visted the hotel in late January, the hotel was very clean the staff was friendly and the rates were reasonable. Out of all the cities I have visited and hotel's I have been to, I would say that the this hotel was most memorable. It was so great that I am planning on going back real soon.

• Stayed: January 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Maplewood, NJ
Reviewed February 21, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Sojourner Inn, July 8-10, 2004 in a 1 Bedroom/Queen Bed Suite with a living room and mini-kitchen. Overall this was not a bad choice considering how expensive other hotels are in the Mystic Area. This inn has more of a motel feel with old carpets and worn stairs leading to the vending machines however the room was quite nice and the bathroom was very clean. Classic continental breakfast was okay with cereal, bread, english muffins, etc. and the front desk service was quite nice.

The inn is about 10 minutes from the Seaport, you have to take 95 north to the next exit but that was no problem, very short distance. With the extra money we saved by staying at the inn, we booked Spa treatments at the Marriot Mystic Spa in Groton which was only 5 minutes away. The Spa was great and well worth the short drive from the Inn.

Overall, we got what we paid for and we just made new reservations for the Inn again.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Portland, OR
Reviewed September 22, 2004

When I lived in Connecticut, we had all the guests at our wedding stay here (everyone was from out of town). They were able to accomodate everyone at a discounted rate (plus the one-bedroom suite for my groom and I on our wedding night). The staff went out of their way to make everyone's stay comfortable and put up with our taking over of the breakfast room for two mornings. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: November 1999
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 10, 2003

We were on a trip to Mystic and Newport, RI during the beginning of August 2003 and we wanted a relaxing place to stay as a base. Most of the other hotel or motels were booked and we decided to stay here based on the previous comments. We had room 207, a suite with a jacuzzi and large living area, but overlooked the parking lot. The hotel was nicely decorated and the front desk staff friendly. It was the type of place where Charlie, the owner's dog sleeps behind the counter.

The room was nice and clean and simple, but little details were not attended to. As an example, the blinds were not working 100% and we couldn't close the blinds all the way. In addition, there was a cathedral window in the middle of the room, but no blinds, so there was no way to sleep late as daylight stream into the room. Another item was that there was no hair dryer in the room. When we asked the front desk, they said it must have been stolen and no others were available.

In a nutshell, it was still a lot of money for the quality, but due to the general high prices all around, it was the best choice at the time.

5  Thank Tomtopes