“Don't go - they cancel confirmed reservations” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Groton

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Groton
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Don't go - they cancel confirmed reservations”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had a confirmed reservation via Priceline / Booking.com at this Econo Lodge. Upon arrival, the clerk said he had canceled it because he had not been able to contact us at the phone number we gave Priceline. It was our home phone and we were traveling - Priceline had asked for any phone number. It was impossible under their rules to have a confirmed reservation since we were away from our home phone. Econo Lodge had a vacant room with a $70 higher rack price, but the clerk refused to put us there at anywhere near our confirmed price. Also, the clerk claimed he didn't have a credit card number for us, but Booking.com later verified with me on the phone that they had faxed Econo Lodge the credit card.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LarryL_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Fall River, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The only thing modern about the hotel was the view on the outside. As soon as you enter the lobby the furniture is old and you smell cigarettes and bug spray. The furniture is very old and nothing matches. When I received my room key, I immediately headed to my room. As I arrived to the room, the door was already opened and no one was around. This made me quite nervous, but I entered and inspected the room. As I said before, the furniture didn’t match and was old, scratched, smoky, etc. The coffee table even had writing carved into it. The appliances were something from the 1980’s. I can’t remember the last time I seen a microwave oven with two knobs on it and nothing digital? The phone in the room was taped together with silver duct tape along with the air conditioning unit. Around 2 a.m. the air conditioning unit became twice as loud as it already was, so I had to turn it off for peace of mind. The bathroom had to be the cleanest part of the room by far, although the wall fixture in there has be mutilated and seemed unsafe. The wall paper throughout the room was torn, frayed and falling off the walls. The bed was the worse because it was almost as if someone smoked under the sheets. My clothes reeked of the cigarette smell and I don’t even smoke! This hotel is in need of a health and comfort inspection along with modernization improvements. The only items in the room from this decade were the televisions that were flat screened to my amazement. I do have pictures of everything I stated. I felt totally robbed for the $122.00 I was charged for the room. There is absolutely no way I would recommend that place to even an enemy.

4 Thank ebabyallday

Travelers are raving about these Groton hotels

USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Good:
The staff was very friendly and accommodating.
The breakfast was OK.

The Bad:
We paid over $140 for a room.
The water was scalding in the morning. It was so hot, I couldn't shower.
The room smelled really musty. We left the AC on and it didn't help with the smell.
The bathrooms had a bit of water damage as well.

Room Tip: Book a room early someplace else.
Honolulu
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Paid over $100 on Hotwire for an old, tired looking room. Mystic hotels were much more expensive so we ended up with this one. Front desk clerk was rude upon check in wanting me to pay for 2 more guests when I had booked the room for 4 people. The positive for this hotel is the room is fairly big with two easy chairs with footrests and a semi kitchen with a sink, old microwave and refrigerator. It's located right off the highway in a very quiet area with no immediate neighbors. The free breakfast was very minimal and the time was only 6-9 a.m. The worst part of the room was having a cracked toilet seat taped together.

Cheaper than a Mystic hotel and that's about all I can say!

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I don't know what planet the people who gave the good reviews are from but I suspect they were submitted by the owners or their friends as there is NOTHING good about this place. Totally unkempt appearance outside, even worse inside!! Dark, dank, outdated and just plain dirty. Carpet and upholstered chairs stained, outdated peeling wallpaper, musty smelling halls & rooms, kitchen is disgusting and doesn't even have the basics! was told if we wanted utensils we could get some from the basement! Microwave is 30 years old, not kidding!!!!! I saved the best for last... BED BUGS !!

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Gail W
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

The hotel was amazing. From being able to make last minute reservations, to the price just for starters. When we walked in our room we thought we had to be in the wrong room. There was a kitchen, full living room, HUGE bed and well obviously a bathroom. The associated who work there were very friendly, and the hotel is very clean... And in the morning we got to have breakfast and relax because check out is at 11. Wonderful experience.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank maegan3301986
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Spent one night at the Econo Lodge Inn and Suites during the OpSail Festival. The room was very clean, the mattress looked brand new. The Suite had a full kitchen that was completely useless since there were no cups, dishes, or silverware and no coffee maker. The hair dryer had been removed from the wall, when I asked if they could provide one they said no! Worst thing for me was the safety chain had been removed from the door so it could not be secured.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Days Inn & Suites Groton Near the Casinos
Motel 6 Groton
#9 of 14 in Groton
3.0 of 5 stars 178 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Mystic Groton

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Groton? Share your experiences!