“Consistently satisfied”
Review of Motel 6 Groton

Motel 6 Groton
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I have stayed here several times over the last 8 years. I always find it pleasant and affordable. I have not had any of the problems other reviewers mention. This is not a fancy place. Its clean, comfortable, affordable. The front desk was exceptionally friendly on my latest visit. I stayed over on a Saturday night. I don't know if they beef up the breakfast for Sunday mornings, but it was better than expected.

On the downside, there was no wireless internet available in my room. The front desk seemed surprised to hear this, so I don't know what the real deal is. There is a computer available in the lobby (which I used) but its very slow.

I stay here when I visit Mystic, CT. Its reasonably close (approx. 10 miles) and maybe $40 a night cheaper than any other motel I would consider.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed June 22, 2010

Very typical old-style motel with outside room entry, picture windows across the front that don't open, AC/heating unit under the window. The room smelled a little like an old motel room but had no musty, smoky, or otherwise annoying smells. The tap water tasted a bit off but was presumably safe. The pool is indoor; we did not try it, but it looked okay. Breakfast was at least average. Wifi was good. Checkin and checkout were smooth. CRT-type TV worked okay and had HBO, as well as quite a bunch of other channels. Location very close to I-95 was easily accessible. I don't think there were any restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel, but there were some in the area. I chose this hotel because it seemed a little more highly rated than about half a dozen similarly-priced hotels in the area; it met my expectations.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2010

My senior parents and I had to attend my nephew's college graduation. I wanted to find a clean and inexpensive hotel that was close to Mitchell College and convenient to Foxwoods. We needed a room for one night only. I read all of the reviews here and was a bit hesitant, but decided to book this hotel anyway based on the most recent review. My sister and her son also decided to stay here based on my selection. Before I say anything else, I have stayed in 5 star to 1 star hotels, and am VERY picky, so please keep that in mind........The hotel is very convenient to I-95, yet very quiet. It is older and each room has an exterior door, no interior hallways. The lobby area looks newer, fresh and has a nice sitting area with a tv. Check-in was quick. One very helpful thing the front desk did which I don't normally see in any hotel, is that they gave me a paper listing the hours for breakfast, pool and exercise room hours. This is something small, but it shows they are thinking. I have never gotten a list of hours from any hotel I've ever stayed at......The breakfast area, pool, and exercise room were right off the lobby, so I did a quick tour to check for cleanliness-no problem. I felt the water in the heated pool-it seemed a slightly cool. There was a single computer for guests near the front desk, which I was happy to see, since I didn't feel like bringing my laptop. At first we couldn't find our room number because one side of the hotel has odd numbers and the back side has even numbers- not a big deal, but confusing for a few moments. I requested a ground floor room because of my senior parents, since there is no elevator, which worked out very well, as we were able to park the car directly in front of our room, and walking for them was kept at a minimum..We got a room with 2 double beds. The room was SPOTLESS. It had a separate sink outside of the tub/toilet area. The linens were very crisp and clean. It looked like the room had been redone withing the past year or two? The mattress seemed to be newer...We didn't have a refrigerator or microwave, but that was fine, since we weren't looking for these items because our stay was going to be short. If we wanted that, I would have gone to the front desk and asked for another room with those items. We had plenty of fresh, clean towels. The furniture is your typical standard type, nothing special. The only thing I want to say is that I was I was pleasantly surprised how clean the entire hotel was based on some older reviews here. Breakfast was your standard fare-fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, small muffins,hard boiled eggs, toast, coffee,tea,orange juice, apple juice,etc. There was some type of sausage and egg patties, but I wouldn't eat those selections anyway anywhere. I checked out my sister's room during our stay and it was identical to ours. She also was very satisfied with everything and the cleanliness. Both of us would stay here again. Another thing we liked is that the main road thru town was right up the street and had many stores located very close---->24 Hour CVS, 24 Hour Walgreens, Subway, Burger King, etc., grocery store, pizza places, restaurants, and almost anything you might need.....The downsides to this hotel are no elevator (there are 3 floors-ask if you need a ground floor room, motel style if that bothers you, older feel to the outside of the building-some cracks in concrete, etc., no jacuzzi if that's important to you. We paid $80/taxes included for one Friday night stay for 3 people, breakfast included...very affordable...... I was very satisified with our stay here. It fit our needs and I would not hesitate to recommend this location or not hesitate to stay here again. I purposely gave a lengthy review because I felt that some people might be hesitant to stay here like I did, yet everything was fine, if you go with the right expectations. If you are looking for basic clean accomodations at an affordable price, then this fits the bill, so I'm giving the hotel 5 stars. I made a special call to my sister as I was writing this to ask if there were any downsides and would she stay here again and she said "Yes, everything was fine, the price was right, and the staff was friendly". I think this is a good hotel that may get overlooked based on older reviews. Read my review again if you need to..I hope this helps.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed May 7, 2010

An older motel, but the rooms are spacious and very clean. Beds comfortable with nice light-weight comforter. Just off the 95 but no road noise. A great restaurant down the street (Ninety Nine Restaurant/Grill) - food is delish. The best part - the most affordable place in the area both week and week-end night rates. Unless you're looking for the Ritz, this place is a keeper.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TopangaTom
Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights while doing tourist things in the Groton/ New London area. The accomodations are quiet and confortable but not new or even newer. There is no elevator but since the building is built on a steep slope - only the 3rd floor requires extensive stairs for access (dragging suitcases). The room A/C worked great and the cable TV had way too many channels to choose from. The free Wi-Fi internet was strong and provided a quick & reliable connection to the network from our room. The breakfast is good for the "get going" bite to eat. No real hot foods - strictly toast, muffins, bagels, cereal, sweet rolls, coffee, juice & milk. The indoor pool was convenient although we didn't have the time to use it. The desk clerk made our stay very enjoyable. Mai (pronounced May) is from Scottland and is just a real pleasure to work with. She knows the area and can provide information to make your visit a custom tailored experience. Overall, this hotel is good for sleeping and makes a very convenient hub point for the area attractions. The rates are not out of line and will be attractive to the most cost conscious traveler. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank Geocaching Ace
Reviewed August 24, 2009

If you are looking for a reasonably priced place to spend the night this place is okay. Other than that I would stay away.
Cons: Take a close look at the hotel exterior pictures. This is a hotel where the doors open to the outside, not a hallway. The nightime pictures make this place look much more elegant than it is. You can scratch "pool" off the amenities. The water was so cloudy you couldn't see the bottom; we wouldn't go near it. There is no elevator. If you are on the second floor, you need to drag your luggage down a dingy, narrow hallway and up a dingy stairway.

Pros: Although outdated (1980's style), the room was clean and everything worked (except for an unplugged floor lamp, with a broken switch, stuck in a corner) The breakfast was okay; the usual, cereal, yogurt, bagels, english muffins, fruit, etc. The location itself is not attractive, but it is convenient to getting on I-95 and only a few minutes to Mystic, where we spent most of our time. The staff was available and helpful, although not especially energetic.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank govin55
Reviewed June 16, 2009

First of all, my wife and are not hotel/motel snobs. We like a clean, safe place to stay for a reasonable price. We were there to take our 8 year old daughter to Mystic Aquarium. With this hotel we feel we got a great value. The pool was clean, warm and nice. The pool water temperature was slightly cooler than the pool room air so getting in and out was not unpleasant. When we arrived we found our room had no fridge/microwave. I asked the lady at the front desk if we could upgrade to one. She gladly did (on a weekend no less!) with no additional fee. The breakfast was usual fair - bagles, danish, coffee/tea, fruit loops or rasin bran, orange or apple juice and jellies/jams.
The room was nice, everything clean. The bed was comfortable - I'd say the bedding would need replacing in the next 16-18 months.
Pro's: VERY friendly and helpful, clean, reasonable.
Con's: Rasin Bran was a bit stale.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank WCBM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Rodeway Inn
Ramada Groton
Ramada Groton
#7 of 14 in Groton
Hilton Garden Inn Mystic Groton

Been to Motel 6 Groton? Share your experiences!