“Good location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Rockaway
“Good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Good location and close to casino (Mohegan Sun). The rooms were clean, spacious and the bed comfortable, but no frig in the room - just a microwave and coffee pot. Breakfast was free; however, I have had better. The entrance to the all the rooms are on the outside of the building. My major complaint was that at 7:00 pm at night, we were told that we were too loud (we booked four rooms and we're discussing who was driving who outside our rooms). At that time, we were also told that no one is allowed to hang outside their rooms past 10:00 pm. So if you want to stay up past 10:00 pm and hang outside your room - do not book here. Again, good location for the casino, but I would not stay there again because of the "curfew".

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Margaret H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Fairfield, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

On Thursday, April 25, 2013, I stayed in Room 357 (2nd floor), all the way at the end, because I requested a quiet room. It was definitely quiet - no highway noise and away from stairwell so no foot traffic noise. The building is older and it's 'motel style' in that your room door opens to the outdoors (covered) and you can access your room directly from the parking lot. So you have to be OK with this motel-style to stay here. The walkway outside my room was concrete and needed re-painting, hinges were a bit rusted, and there was a little peeling/dents in the wallpaper in my room, but that goes with older buildings. For the price, you can't beat it! The desk staff were professional and friendly when I called to make my reservation, when I checked in, and every time I passed the desk to go to and from my room. Because I got such a great deal on the room ($49.50 per night on a Thursday night with AAA discount), I was a little worried that maybe the location wasn't great. I'm a small female and I was traveling alone, so I think about safety. But the location is fine. Safe, but remote. The hotel is not very close to any other buildings, but there are 2 restaurants right around the corner (I didn't eat at either), a motel across the street, and access to 95 is easy. No evidence of shady characters loitering or anything. I stayed here because I was attending a conference at the Marriott, but at $149/night, I couldn't afford to stay at the Marriott. The Quality Inn is only 2 exits away from the Marriott (6 minute drive), 13 minutes form Mystic, and since the Inn is right off the highway, it is so convenient. Nice bedding, comfortable mattress, amenities, new TV, heat that turned on immediately and heated my room quickly. Clean room. The 1 downside is that I called 2 times in the AM around 7:00 AM Friday to ask a question, and no one picked up the phone either time. I chalked this up to them being busy, but it was a tiny bit annoying. I didn't try the continental breakfast, but I saw that they served a few pieces of fresh fruit but mostly muffins/bagels and coffee/tea. I would definitely recommend the Quality Inn in Groton.

Room Tip: Room 357 is very quiet. It is all the way at the end, away from the front desk and from foot traffic...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Littlewonger
Tampa, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We were in town for a wedding in Old Saybrook but it seemed like all the motels there weren't that great so we ventured to Groton which the GPS says is 30 mins away but it never took us over 20. Very pleased with the Quality Inn! clean room and good bedding, not the gross floral polyester comforters that budget hotels often have. The bathroom even has a sauna in it! Heated indoor pool was a nice addition considering the other options in the area were the same price and didn't have an indoor pool. Really good bang for the buck, decent amount of options for the free breakfast every morning and friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Elizabeth C
Needham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We booked two rooms for a Saturday night when our kids were going to a concert at Mohegan Sun. Not only fairly convenient to the casino (15 minutes), this Quality Inn was very nice. Both our rooms were clean, the staff brought us a rollaway bed that we requested at check-in. The beds were comfy, the shower was hot and strong - as desired. For the very cheap price, it is very nice. My only complaint is that there are not enough electrical plugs for all our phones, etc. We would certainly stay here again if we're in the area.

• Stayed April 2013
Bangor, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

The staff at the hotel are very friendly and helpful and the indoor pool is a nice bonus. The hotel provides the standard quality inn breakfast and clean bedroom. A good place for one or two nights and its conveniently located near Groton, Mystic and Foxwood.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jackson, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Scottish lady was funny, and Adam, the second-shift desk man went above and beyond the call of duty, and Tirso, the third shift, is awesome. The pool was nice, and I liked the bathtub setup. The fridge was roomy enough to fit the food my family gave us, and there were more than enough lamps in the room for my lighting services. I enjoyed my stay =)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
melrose,ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We picked this hotel because it was part of the Choices Hotel program and we do well with their points. The room was very clean as was the bathroom, not a hint of smoke anywhere in this hotel. Breakfast was standard but with lots of healthy choices. Did not use the indoor heated pool but it looked great; wish we had known about this when our son was stationed at the nearby sub base. The 99 Restaurant is a safe, easy walk as long as it isn't too cold.

Amtrak tracks run behind this hotel. The quietest rooms have ODD NUMBERS. We did ask for a room change because of the train whistle and it was cheerfully handled.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an odd number; the train tracks are on the other side of the building.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends