“LOOKS ARE DECEIVING!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Groton
hartford, CT
“LOOKS ARE DECEIVING!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

I planned a day at the beach and a night on the town for me and my special man. I live in CT and went onto the CTvisit.com and found Best Western has a Mohegan Sun Special. I have had very great experiences with Best Western. I called and booked the room and the room was to include free breakfast in the morning and a coupon voucher to play and eat at Mohegan Sun. I check in got my keys, got my free breakfast voucher and when I asked for my Mohegan sun voucher I was told that the only way to get it was the take THEIR shuttle to the casino so if I drive myself I can't get the voucher. I explained that that was not told to me nor is in on the CT visit website and that was a main reasons why I booked that special and I was told a rude Sorry those are the rules... proceeded to the room and when I opened the door was met by a very stale and stuffy smell like the window or AC weren't run in months.... the beds were hard as rocks and they had those flower coveralls that you know they don't wash. I called and ask for another room because the smell was really bad and guess what…. They gave me the room right next door. HAHAHA! Same smell same bed just on the different side of a wall...I couldn't believe it....We used the room for is purposed and left out on the town....Breakfast next morning wasn't all that great either! Never Again!er. Never again! Spend the extra and stay at The Hampton Inn right up the street. Wish I did!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Hartford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised with my stay. The room was really clean, and even though the room was hot (since they turn off the ac, and unplug the fridge), there was no lingering oders. The TV was equipt with a cable box and full channel guide (info) and 6 HBO channels. The room had a mini fridge (again, you had to plug it in), but it worked great. The staff was friendly and fresh cookies are made in the afternoon. The free buffet breakfast was in the dinner next door and included eggs, bacon and french toast. The breakfast was very generic and average, but it was great for FREE.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank AC2020
Scottsville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

This was a great hotel !! Nice rooms, and a very friendly staff ! Some things could have used a little updating but overall a great place to stay. They have a restaurant on site and the room service was a little slow for dinner cause they said they were very busy, but the breakfast buffet was pretty good. Lots of restaurants near by too and close to the highway.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank AmandaShifflett
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

This is a basic hotel. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. I stayed two nights here. The beds aren't very comfortable though. The best part of the stay was the hot breakfast in the resturant at the hotel. Eggs, potatoes, sausage, bacon and french toast, in addition to the standard begels and dry cereal.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank silentsnowkat
Jermyn, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

The hotel was extremely clean. The pool and hot tub area was also very clean. They had a small gym and a laundry room. A full hot breakfast was part of our package and they matched the price of another hotel. I have stay at the Days Inn previous and there was no comparison. I would go and stay there again and recommend it to anyone. Thanks

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank tanderline
Lake Hopatcong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I got this room for $98 total (taxes included etc). I stayed here Memorial day weekend in room 314. I was a bit skeptical based on the reviews but I have to say....I thought it was a nice hotel. Some things needed to be fixed but if you are looking for something inexpensive & CLEAN than I would recommend this hotel. It was a 10 min drive into Mystic. Very easy to get there and back. The pool was nice. There were quite alot of people in it. The free breakfast the next morning was decent. They had scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, bacon (not the best), sausage patties, assortment of boxed cereals, breads and danishes. Overall my husband and I were very happy. Hotel staff was very nice as well.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Attorneyreview
Canandaigua, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

Just spent 3 nights here and would never come back! Sink would not drain, air conditioner sounded like a tractor trailer was parked in the room. On our last night there the smoke alarm beeped low battery from 3:30 a.m. on and "Manager" would not take charge off the bill for the night! He said I should have called the desk and they would have sent someone up to install new battery. When I advised we really didn't want to have to get up and get dressed while a maintenance man came in he said there was no need to do that. My wife could have just stayed in bed and the man would have worked over her, as the alarm is directly over the bed. If this "Manager" is not the owner, the owner needs to remove him at the first opportunity. By failing to make this situation right he lost any chance of our returning to this facility or any of our friends staying there. As we and our friends are frequent visitors to the area his poor customer service decision will definitely result in the loss of far more than the cost he would have incurred by compensating us for a very uncomfortable, sleepless night! If you value customer service and good sense, STAY AWAY from this one!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank James S
bwolympicinn, Owner at BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
Guest demanded a free night because smoke detector's chirping (low battery warning) kept him awake. Guest never called to report problem, only at check out. I even offered half off but guest was belligerent. Him not coming back not a problem with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Garden Inn Mystic Groton
Groton Inn and Suites
#5 of 14 in Groton
3.5 of 5 stars 275 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic

Been to BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn? Share your experiences!