Baymont Inn & Suites Groton/mystic
$51
$63
$45
Agoda.com
All reviewsmohegan sunfree shuttleattached restaurantdunkin donutshave stayed here many timesfree breakfast buffetroom was cleanhot tubsubmarine baseplace to stayindoor poolgroton areastaff was friendlyfitness centerconvenient locationsub baseparking lot
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 15, 2010

When you walked into the room it smelled like stale cigarettes and sweat. All the furniture looked like it came from a salvage yard. We lost power in the evening (I understand it was no fault of the hotel), but after about 30 minutes I feel someone should have knocked or called and asked us if we wanted some candles or at least give an update to what was going on. I like the Best Western chain and have stayed in many of them but I wouldn't recommend this any one.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2009

I have stayed in LOTS of hotels and this one stands out. EVERYTHING exceeded my expectations. Staff was friendly and helpful. Food was good. Rooms were clean. It was quiet. For the price - there isn't a better room in town. My only comment would be if I were traveling for pleasure - they don't allow animals - which is unacceptable when I travel for pleasure.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2009

I spent a week here on business with a couple other colleagues. Normally I would have stayed down the street at the hampton inn, but my colleagues insisted on this place, mostly because of the freebies they shell out to gov't travellers like us. If staying on the gov't rate, the hotel gives you a voucher for free breakfast buffet and $15 of "funny money" to use at the hotel's restaurant/bar each evening. Yes, that's $15 each evening, so if you're looking to save per diem dollars, this is the place to stay.

The restaurant is nothing special, and while I can appreciate the dining dollars for a couple nights, eventually I feel the need to get out into town and eat something different.

Rooms are normal midrange hotel type rooms, not overly clean, but not really dirty either. There was a fridge/microwave in the room which came in handy. The pool/hot tub were nice at the end of a long work day, as were the freshly baked cookies in the lobby each evening.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank waterlgged
Reviewed August 27, 2008

This is a good choice for the price if you want to visit the Mystic area, esp. during the summer season. The rates are much lower than those in Mystic, yet it's only minutes away. It's also not too far from Mohegan Sun Casino.
Though the lobby is small and unimpressive, it is clean and well-maintained. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms were a pretty good size and featured a table and chairs as well as microwave and fridge for convenience. The bathrooms had a curved shower curtain rod, first featured in more expensive hotels, in order to allow for more space in the tub. Bathroom was small but clean. Only problems with the room: the bolt for the extra security lock was a little loose(but regular lock worked fine); one drawer was broken, though still useable; the remote control did not change channels quickly enough (but this was probably the fault of the service provider).
My friends were provided with a crib for their young child.
First-floor hallways were well-maintained. I liked the blue color of the carpeting.

I had trouble getting into the pool area with my key card, but upon hearing about my problem, the front desk staff immediately gave me a special card. The pool was fine. The whirlpool was larger than expected for this category of hotel.

We were each given $10 play money certificates good at the onsite restaurant. I ate breakfast for free, while my friends had to pay only a few dollars. My check was under $10. I had assumed that I would be forfeiting the two unused dollars, but I was surprised that I was given 2 "dollars" in change to use another time. The next day, we were each given another $10 certificate, which for me meant another free breakfast.
There are several restaurants on the same road as the hotel and there is a 24/7 Dunkin' Donuts adjacent to the property.

There's no view and it's not too fancy, but this hotel is a good choice for those who want to go to Mystic or to the casinos, esp. during the summer when hotel rates in Mystic are very high.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank ILoveAHotel
Reviewed May 1, 2008

I chose this hotel for the indoor pool and the price. My husbands company was working on a job in nearby Waterbury, so I drove from upstate NY to CT. for the weekend. I found the hotel to be clean and the front desk staff to be very friendly. The pool was clean but the workout/fitness room is very small. Overall we had a nice stay with our 2 children. The only down side is that the walls are VERY thin. We could hear everything from our neighbors room (and I mean everything). All in all it was a nice hotel, very clean with a nice staff. The front desk even printed my directions for my return trip home.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Upstate_NYHmz