“Just meh”

Dining options: Reservations
West Hartford, Connecticut
“Just meh”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We had 11 in our party so we were able to all squeeze to one side of the hibachi. The food was OK - typical japanese hibachi fare which I love. Others in our party selected non-hibachi items from the menu and they were all good. With only a couple of other people in the restaurant, I found it incredible noisy and the annoying public birthday celebrations made me cringe. If you like classy, higher end hibachi - find another place. If you're with a loud obnoxious crowd, you'll be happy here. The food was OK and the server was friendly,

Visited June 2014
1 Thank willflyforfood2013

Essex, Connecticut
“Probably great, if you're there for the entertainment”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I were looking for a place to sit back and dine on well prepared Asian cuisine. This restaurant showed high TA ratings, so we gave it a try. We took a table instead of seating at a hibachi and soon realized people go here for the fun of watching the chef, which turns out to involve making quite a racket. The 20-to-30-something diners being treated to the culinary antics were delighted, and bless them. (To be honest I was vicariously enjoying the time THEY were having more than the time WE were having.) Our service was prompt and responsive. The raw salmon appetizer was tasty and ample. The teriyaki steak we'd asked to be medium-rare seemed more like medium-done to me, but the sauce and accompaniments were good. I forget the label on the $26 Malbec bottle we ordered, but it was satisfying, especially at that price. The dishes were, otherwise, a little pricey (just under $100, with tax and tip) for what amounted to regular table service with extra noise. It turns out we paid for entertainment which, on that night, was for the other guests.

• Visited June 2014
Groton, Connecticut
“Best sushi in area”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is probably the best sushi you'll find in the Groton area. I've eaten at the couple other sushi restaurants around. It tastes pretty good and I've never gotten sick from eating here. I lived in Japan and love sushi, so I know good sushi when I eat it. The service is pretty good and the people are friendly.

Visited May 2014
“Awesome food, but be warned if you are trying to bring a big group.”
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I've been to koto numerous times and came here last year for my birthday. Without me asking, they put my party in the private room because I had so many people and it was great. I made a reservation last night for my boyfriends birthday for 25 people. I even called to confirm the reservation so through two phone calls they never mentioned to me that our party was going to get split up. When they seated us, 18 of us got to sit together and two facing hibachi tables and the other 7 people had to sit basically behind us so we were not sitting together at all and couldn't even socialize. Had I known they were going to split us up I would have gone elsewhere. We had two people waiting on us and my boyfriend was right in the middle and apparently there was a miscommunication about which table he was technically sitting at and as it turned out, neither waiter took his order and he had to say something at which point his order was taken so quickly and the waiter walked away before my bf could order a sushi roll as an app. Each table got their food cooked at completely different times so even though my bf was right next to me, my food was done about 15 minutes before his and the rest of his table. As always, the food was awesome. But after this experience I'm not sure if it's worth going back. The manager was extremely rude to me because a couple members of my party were running late. The bartender was rude to just about everyone. Overall just not a great experience.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Ksilva620
Groton, Connecticut
“Yum!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is not for the budget conscious. Expensive menu but it is delicious. Service is ok...however you don't leave thinking "I can't wait to go back". Hibachi show is always good . I wonder if they have a happy hour ?

• Visited December 2013