“Worth it!”

Ranked #7 of 121 Restaurants in Groton
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2014

When my husband and I visit Mohegan Sun or Foxwoods, we go to Olio for special occasions. This trip was my birthday. I have to say Olio is one of the top places in Groton. As you enter, there is a separate bar area and off to the left of the bar is the dining room. The decor is stark but nice. One wall was windows. The tables are small and arranged close to one another. We had reservations on a Friday night and we were seated right away. Wait staff attentive. Water glasses filled right away. Waitress promptly asked for our drink order. Drinks arrived right away and we placed our order. A bread basked was placed on the table with warm crusty bread and a dipping olive oil. The wait for dinner was not too bad. Gave us time to sit leisurely and have our drinks. I had the specialty drink of the night, the cucumber cooler. Very refreshing if you don't want to be bogged down with a heavy drink. The menu consists of a multitude of appetizers ranging from $10-$14 including fish tacos, smoked chicken lettuce wraps, oysters, clams, nachos, hangar steak and more. Also wraps, sandwiches, burgers and pizza from $9-$16. I ordered the seared diver scallops with pasta. It was prepared with broccoli, toasted almonds and pancetta in a light pesto sauce. Delicious and at a price of $18.95. My husband had the linguini with lobster, scallops, artichoke, tomatoes and asparagus in a light lobster cream sauce at $19.95. He ate the whole thing and enjoyed it very much. You could sit at the bar and just have appetizers and a drink and have a nice experience. You don't need a special occasion. Some may complain about the price of the entrees but the quality of the food is well worth it. We will be sure to visit Olio again.

There are newer reviews for Olio Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed August 3, 2014

You know when a top server at one great restaurant recommends another restaurant, it has to be exceptional. That’s exactly what Olio is.
On recommendation we secured reservations for dinner at Olio. (MGT note: OpenTable would make it much easier for out of towners)
The menu and features are excellent as well as the atmosphere, small bar and staff.
I had a well executed Lemon Drop Martini, an Ahi Tuna Sashimi, and Pappardelle Pasta Lobster. All were prepared and presented exquisitely. Flavors were very good.
Both the Ahi and Pappardelle were easily enough to share, but you’ll want to eat every bite. Bread and dipping oil was superb. Wine selection was concise, but well covered.
This is on our Favorites “short list” for sure.
Job well done.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Went for dinner this evening and didn't expect to end up at this particular restaurant so we were dressed quite casually. I called ahead about the dress code and was told that there was none. Ordered, and received, hot tea but had to wait another ten minutes for the cream while the hot water grew cold. Son was given a DIRTY STRAW to drink with and again, had to wait a long time for a clean one to be brought to him. My partner, who was the most casually dressed, was served his ice tea in an old vodka jar for some bizarre reason, while every other table had regular glasses to drink from. Will never go back again.

2  Thank Toni H
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Tables are very close to each other, martinis are really good, ambience is romantic & cozy, waitstaff are all really pleasant but our dishes were barely warm and just average in taste. It is a bit pricey for what you get and for the area of town it is in.

1  Thank NoahCMG
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Crowded tables which made for not bumping elbows almost impossible. Was not busy at time of my visit----one and only----pasta dish was good but terribly overpriced. Plenty of parking space available. For being an "Italian" style restaurant, I was not impressed.

1  Thank carole c