“Great Mexican in Groton, CT”
Review of Manana Cafe

Manana Cafe
Ranked #43 of 122 Restaurants in Groton
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Mañana is great Mexican restaurant in Groton. The margaritas are awesome. They infuse their own tequila- try a margarita with chipotle tequila for a really spicy drink! The food was creative and delicious and the service was great. We will be back!

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant bends over backwards to please But the food is certainly not the Mexican fare you find in border states like Texas. Guacamole and salsa were watery. My chicken enchiladas were fresh and tasty but served bit cold. My wife had chile rellanos which were delicious.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I live in Groton and decided to stop in here for lunch today with my 12 year old daughter. I had read some bad reviews but then a few good ones and decided to give it a shot. I will, as usual, list the good with the bad. The service overall was pretty good. Our server was friendly and informative. Right off the bat, I was a little annoyed that they don't bring you chips and salsa. You have to order it at $4. That is a first for me. We were both ordering entrees, so for a Mexican restaurant to not offer complimentary chips and salsa was more than disappointing. We ordered it to give it a try. The chips were delicious! Hot right out of the fryer, however, the salsa left a lot to be desired. It was pretty bland and tasted like it had been made the week before. Also, my iced tea tasted really old and my daughters soda was flat. My daughter and I both ordered something that we thought were going to be like flautas or taquitos, but ended up being sandwiches. I was a little nervous when I saw them. I can't remember what they were called but they were meatless, with black bean, avocado, and cheese. I can tell you that they were fantastic. They were served with some of the most delicious seasoned home cut French fries. The soft roll was lightly toasted. There was a very generous amount of beautiful avocado slices and melted Monterey jack. My favorite part was the layer of crumbled queso fresco on the bottom. This is a great vegetarian option, but I think any meatlover would enjoy this meal. Overall, I would definitely eat here again, but I would not order and pay for the chips and salsa. I look forward to trying some of there other options.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We heard about Manana Cafe while dining at their sister restaurant, Milagro Cafe (Stonington, CT). The owners did an incredible job renovating the interior of Manana Cafe, which used to be a drab, tired pizza joint, creating a fun and vibrant atmosphere with colorful tables and art. The margaritas are outstanding (all fresh ingredients -- no mixes!) and the trio of salsa w/ chips are not be be missed. We've been twice now and haven't experienced the poor service described by others, but at a new restaurant, it's not uncommon to have some growing pains as employees become familiar with the new environment.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I made a second visit to this restaurant, coincidentally exactly a month after my first. This time we had a party of 8. The place was not busy and we were quickly seated. We ordered our drinks which arrived promptly. The 4 sodas, from a fountain, were all flat and returned. They were quickly replaced with replacement flat drinks- a tad more fizzy than previously but still flat. Now what's up with that? Does one need to be a rocket scientist to taste test the drinks second time around? Again the drinks were sent back and my soda drinking friends decided to opt for water- cannot mess that up can you? The soda fiasco could have been a quickly forgotten incident despite there being no apology offered but that was not to be. The sodas resurfaced on the bill. Incidentally, there was nothing wrong with the beer on tap or the wine that others in the group ordered. There was no attempt made to ask us if we needed refills but that requires a level of competence way beyond the capacity of the servers here.
The saving grace for this place is the food. Once again well prepared, tasty and well appreciated. The tortilla chips are fresh, obviously made on site and goes very well with their equally fresh and sparkling Guacamole.The corn and bean soup special as well as the Sopa de Tortilla we're both well seasoned. Entrees included Carnegie Asada Tacos, Chilles Rellenos, a couple of Fajitas etc we all loved the food. A very special touch, much appreciated, was a special request one of us had. She wanted a veggie Taco but dislikes the soft Tacos served here. The waitress checked with the chef who offered to fry the Taco and produced a crispy Taco that was very well received.Hint to management: put this option on the menu. Would love to try a crisp fish Taco, next time. I will return as the food will draw me there. I will not have special occasions here as the Service Staff are not up to par. Perhaps, management will lower their prices in line with the cafeteria type of service and survive that way. Or it will occur to them that the people who shell out $15-$20 for a Mexican entree expect attentive service or they will seek it out elsewhere.

1  Thank paparam