“SEAFOOD WITH SCENIC VIEWS”
Review of Fisherman Restaurant - CLOSED

Fisherman Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This restaurant is a seafood shack with linens. It's located on Palmers Cove with scenic views of Fishers Island Sound and Esker Point Beach from the restaurant's picture windows and outdoor deck. One can also watch passenger trains cross the railroad bridge in the distance while dining.

I ordered the Stonington Baked Scallops with coleslaw and the vegetable du jour which was steamed baby carrots with green beans. It's difficult to ruin scallops and those vegetables, so I had no complaint with my entree. The coleslaw was average---not outstanding; and, I've certainly had a lot worse. The scallops were fresh.

The restaurant could use some updating.

I got good service from my waiter Nate.

1  Thank Maurene_K

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Having heard that "The Fisherman" might have a new Chef (true or false), I thought we would give this place another chance to dispel bad memories of the past. I am afraid our meal was just as terrible as it has always been. First, the smell of the place hasn't changed. Old, musty, and damp. Like an old boat! Although they have tried to update with some of the decorative accents and lighting, it could not help with the food. I had the Fried Oyster Dinner. Although the french fries were fairly good, crispy and hot, the coleslaw was mediocre, and the Oysters almost inedible. There was too much gooey unseasoned batter on what were rather large chewy oysters, so it was difficult to swallow them. My luncheon guest had the Swordfish and green beans, which was the Special of the Day. She said it was probably one of the worst meals she has had in a long time. The only saving grace was with their desserts, obviously made elsewhere. I had Chocolate Cream Pie, and my guest had Key Lime Pie. Both were pretty good. But the desserts won't get me back to this place. So sorry to write such a poor review. I am sure that with its location close to Groton Long Point, they have a captive audience, but next time we will head over to the Seahorse in the Noank. We should have known better. I am afraid we are going to have to scratch The Fisherman off our list forever!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

A little disappointed with this place! This was the 1st time here with friends, went because I was
at the beach in Rhode Island, had a restaurant.com certificate!

The atmosphere was pleasant, but the rug and the chairs, etc., was slightly dirty and crumbs all over the place! We were told that there were only 2 waiters, so be patient!

The drinks took 10 minutes, I did not taste a bit of liquor in the drink I ordered, was totally covered up by the horseradish in bloody mary, probably wasn't there!

The calamari was sooooo greasy, wasn't fried enough, and probably not dried before it was breaded! The fish fry was good, but a small serving! The mussels Portuguese was so small,
and in a very small dish, which was ridiculous!

The waiter was sweet, but unfortunately, fairly new, and it definitely showed!

Apparently, the place needs to get more experienced cooks and staff, so that the place could run smoother! For the price paid, I feel it could have been so much better!

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

It's unfortunate that a local restaurant that had a great reputation in the past has continued to decline in recent years. The landscaping in the front has weeds growing higher than the bushes. The carpet stuck to our feet the whole walk through the inside on our way to the outdoor seating in the back. It's disgusting. The outside area is very nice and beautifully done, right on the water. Great view. Unfortunately the landscaping once again is not tended to and there are weeds growing up the stairs and backside of the building. Waiters left plates and food on tables when diners left so seagulls knocked plates on the ground and rummaged through leftovers. When we said something to the waiter he said it was less for him to pick up :(. No concern that birds were attracted to the area and crapping while others ate. The menu was very limited and left a lot to be desired. It needs an update for sure. The food we ordered was good but nothing more than average except the mussels and clam chowder which were good. For some reason we had to ask for our bread after other tables around us had gotten theirs before we'd did. Overall there was a lack of attention to detail or real concern for service or atmosphere. Even the menu had misspellings and lowercase letters used inconsistently. Paper menus in a leather binder was very cheesy! Not recommended until they change management to people who care about the restaurants' future and reputation.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I hadn't been to the fisherman in about 20 years and the wife and I were looking for a place to eat Friday night. we chose the fisherman, hoping we could get a table, as it was 4th of July weekend. in the past any Friday night would have been busy. nevermind a holiday weekend. much to our surprise it was extremely slow, the hostess brought us to a table that was in direct path of the setting sun,there were probably 20 other tables we could have been sat at. our server Jessica was very nice and she moved us twice, helpful though. the server is the reason for the 2 stars otherwise it would have been 1. the food wasn't good, we shared the fried calamari which was greasy not properly breaded 90% tenticals, which my wife doesn't like. for entrees I had the special catch of the day and my wife had the stuffed sole neither were very good. actually we both felt a little ill. the restaurant decor looks the same as 20 years ago. will probably go back in another 20 to see if anything has changed, otherwise won't be back