“Could be better”
Review of Octagon

Octagon
Reserve with OpenTable
Octagon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 120 Restaurants in Groton
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Located just outside Mystic, CT, Octagon prides itself on offering the finest steaks and freshest seafood everyday. Our menu changes seasonally and celebrates local ingredients harvested right here in our beautiful state of Connecticut. To our pleasure, our guests are travelers from around the globe and neighborhood locals. From our open grill and wine cellar to our one of a kind artwork and glass sculptures, we truly believe dining should be an experience, not just a meal.
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Could be better”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is a decent place in a nice Marriott hotel. The buffet brunch has a range of decent options. They are not kept as fresh as they could be with regard to their replenishment and the service can some times be slow whether the restaurant is busy or not. It is convenient if you are staying in the hotel, but they could do a bit better of a job.

• Visited August 2013

Pawcatuck, Connecticut, United States
“Awful. Just awful.”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I had high hopes for this restaurant because I sampled them at Taste of Mystic and their dish was very tasty and innovative. The restaurant experience couldn't have been more unlike that sampling. We first tried the Dragon Chowder which was tasty. It was unfortunately downhill from there. Then we had the farm-to-table, which for $30 included only a small steak and three blowfish tails with a garnish of slaw. We asked where there were blowfish in Connecticut and were told that it was "less about the fish" and "more about the seasoning"...WHAT?!?!? The steak despite having been ordered with a rub was terribly under-seasoned and desperately in need of salt. We also ordered the lentil cake, which turned out to be a grey patty of mushy lentils in the form of a burger. Just inedible. So disappointed, especially for the price we paid. The service was competent but certainly not warm or very helpful. I won't be back.

• Visited September 2013
Denver, United States
“A fantastic hotel restaurant”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I don't know about the Octagon as a destination restaurant, but after basically living in the hotel for two years, I have nothing but good things to say.

The staff in the bar and restaurant are simply amazing. Roger and Amy never fail to remember my preferences and and to anticipate my needs.

By the time my first year in Groton was over, I had tried every thing on the menu, and the seasonal specials. They were more than happy to accommodate me by creating new items based on my preference, and by letting me order off-menu items. The Octagon made my stay at the Mystic Marriott feel like home, and I will genuinely miss my time there.

• Visited September 2013
Kinnelon, New Jersey
“Could have been great!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We got there at 6pm with reservations. The first people in the restaurant. We were promptly greeted and offered beverages. The wine list is nice and modest. We both had the Filet Mignon with various sides. Steaks were flavorful, cooked perfectly and the sides were generous. We shared a dessert sampler which came with two Chocolate Mousse shots. Funny it was served with soup spoons which didn't fit int he glass - it was quickly corrected. Service was good until they had a few customers. Once there was a handful of groups, we hardly saw our waiter. If they would have just kept up the level of service we had on arrival which was not extraordinary we would have given them a 5!

Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“Disappointing food and services”
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Reading through other reviews, I can only conclude that I agree with the recent comments: this restaurant used to be much better but standards have severely deteriorated (sadly the prices didn't!).
Service was extremely poor: waiting too long to place orders and receive food. Nobody came out to ask me how my meal was. Nobody offered to refill my water. I waited for ages, trying to catch the waiter's attention so that I could ask for the bill...

I am have special dietary restrictions and the waiter was impatient and wouldn't hear me out. He just cut me off. After I said I cannot have dairy, he said that my vegetables will have some butter on top. I know that he was trying to be helpful and said that as a way of showing he wanted me to have a nice dish, but he should have listened when I explained my dietary needs and should known that dairy-free means no butter!
The food was awful: I ordered the lentil cake with cauliflower coulis. Lentil cake was very greasy and was falling apart. Cauliflower was horribly salty - completely inedible. The bread was stale.
I used to like this place but am really disappointed and have nothing good to say about my recent experience.

• Visited May 2013

Been to Octagon? Share your experiences!