“Not what it used to be.”
Review of Octagon

Octagon
Reserve with OpenTable
Octagon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 121 Restaurants in Groton
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Located just outside Mystic, CT, Octagon prides itself on offering the finest steaks and freshest seafood everyday. Our menu changes seasonally and celebrates local ingredients harvested right here in our beautiful state of Connecticut. To our pleasure, our guests are travelers from around the globe and neighborhood locals. From our open grill and wine cellar to our one of a kind artwork and glass sculptures, we truly believe dining should be an experience, not just a meal.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We have enjoyed fine dining in the back room numerous times on special occasions. Not sure what is going on now. Inspite of making reservations for 2 and arriving well dressed, we were seated at a table for four near the kitchen door up front and could hear the printer on the prep counter spitting out orders, felt like we were in a diner. The place was full of children and other guests casually dressed. Numerous other guests seemed just a dissatisfied with the seating arrangments and were moving to other tables, I don't know why The elegant back room was closed off. Both our water glasses had grit on them. Our entrees were okay, my potatoes were Luke warm and hubby came home and made a snack. If we ever attempted another reservation, I would call and speak with the manager and make sure seating in the back room will be an option.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

It may be the number of dinners. If it was just my wife and I maybe it would have been better. However, several items caught my attention. The waitress was sure to fill the wine glasses but missed the dinners that were drinking water. We were last on the list. Second food was cold when served and also orders that were requested, medium rare/well done were not honored. If there was anything positive, it was the Dragon Soup. I recommend you order that. HAPPY TRAILS
BOB

Reviewed March 16, 2013

There were 7 of us for dinner and we had a reservation at 7:15. The table was not ready and that was the start of a bad experience. We waited about 15 minutes. We were seated, the waiter was very inattentive and do not even tell us the specials we had to ask. When the food came out he forgot one dinner and did not even know it. The kitchen never cooked it. One of us ordered a steak and it was way overcooked. A second one was still mooing. The waiting dropped some of the dishes on the floor and they broke with pieces flying. An awful experience and I would not recommend it!

1  Thank cscands
WHGGuestService, Manager at Octagon, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for the review. We highly value all the reviews we receive as they help us to continuously improve. That being said, I’m very sorry to hear about the overall quality of your dining experience with us. I want to ensure you that we strive to give each guest a world-class dining experience. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss this matter further.
Maggie Keyes
(860) 326-0360

Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband took me here for our anniversary. Based on the reviews we read online, it seemed like it was right up our alley. We don't mind paying good money for good food. Unfortunately nothing about what we ordered was spectacular (and maybe that was our fault). The wine was good (but expensive) and the steaks while nice cuts and sizable portions were just okay. The atmosphere certainly felt more cosmopolitan than most of the other restaurants in the area so I could see how people may wish to dine here for that reason alone. Don't get me wrong, the food wasn't bad, it just wasn't up to the standards that we would expect given the price point.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I like the atmosphere here. It is the hotel restaurant but it transform from day to night. Good food and a great selection of wine.

Been to Octagon? Share your experiences!