“Poor seating Policy”

The Shack Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 121 Restaurants in Groton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife and I visited the Shack on a Saturday morning, there was no line we walked wright in told the hostess we had one more person coming she said we can't seat you till your party has arrived, there was 10 to 15 tables and booths open. What am I waiting for, I would like to sit down at a booth an start with coffee while the rest of the party showed up.
A few minutes later a couple of other groups arrived they got seated write away hay we would like to sit and have coffee. So we told the hostess our friend canceled and we wanted to sit, remember the are plenty of booths open, she said if your friend shows up,we are not going to seat them(in a snippy voice) WHAT?. So when my friend arrived I got up and brought him to our table.
The waitress brought his setting and proceeded to quote policy again, I said fine we would just like to order she took offense and had the manager come to the table and quote policy again. We explained we have never heard of such a policy, he said that a lot of restaurants have this police.Well my wife and I are well traveled and have never encountered anything like this. Once again why would you not want seat you customer and make them comfortable?

There are newer reviews for The Shack Restaurant

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stopped at The Shack in Groton as we were passing through and it was the first breakfast place with cars. We were amazed. The quality of the food was better than any major hotel dining room. Best hollandaise sauce and home fries I've ever tasted. The service was terrific, and in fact we were brought an extra plate because I'd ordered something not on the menu and the chef hadn't made it correctly (which the waitress caught). Coffee terrific and even the pies by the checkout counter looked incredible (and I'm not a dessert person).

Service outstanding. Pleasant atmosphere. Outstanding food. Reasonable price. Perfect.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I ordered a cheeseburger club and my wife ordered a turkey club. The cheeseburger was not very good at all . I only ate half of it and left the other half. I had a piece of my wife's turkey club and that was pretty good but I guess you can't really screw up a turkey club. Their app sampler was pretty good too. Not too greasy. The staff and the people in the restaurant just seemed a little off to me. Maybe this is a local spot and they could tell we weren't locals, but I just got a weird vibe and strange looks from a lot of people. The girl that seated us wasn't friendly probably because we asked for a booth instead of a table. Our waitress was not much better. They weren't rude, they just weren't friendly. Maybe it was a busy time and they were stressed out, but I expect better service as a customer. If I was ever in that area again, I would skip over this place.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Loved Food & service .I always go there. It was clean .sometimes on a sunday morning you might have to wait a little but still worth it..

Reviewed August 29, 2013

When visiting our family in Groton, CT, it has become a tradition to have breakfast at The Shack on Long Hill Road. The food and service is always great, my wife and I get the Classic Favorite, two eggs, the fantastic home fries (hash browns), bacon, toast and coffee. Their coffee is tops and the cup never runs out. We always have breakfast there again on the morning before we are to return home. If in the area of Groton be sure to drop by and have breakfast or lunch there, you'll be happy you did. You may have to wait for up to 10 minutes to get seated, but the food is worth the wait. Oh, for us southerners that like our grits, they have them too, but be sure to try those home fries.