“Clean hotel, friendly staff, and close to casinos” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn - Groton

Hampton Inn - Groton
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Wharton, New Jersey
“Clean hotel, friendly staff, and close to casinos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was only my 2nd time staying at a Hampton Inn. I usually stay at Hilton Garden Inns. Since the Hilton Garden Inn in Groton was booked and I wanted to use points I decided to stay here.I was impressed. I was attending a concert at Mohegan Sun and this hotel is about 20 minutes from Mohegan. Staff was very friendly. Hotel was clean. There was fruit, cookies, and a nice selection of tea in the lobby. The free continental breakfast was convenient and decent. The only complaint I had was that the heater in the room was loud. I'm a light sleeper so this was a bit of an issue for me. I actually ended up turning it off because it was really warm in the room. But I would definitely stay here again. I would give it 3.5 stars but there wasn't any way to do that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Wanted to give a review of what will become my new hotel of choice for casino trips.
Pros:
20 minutes to Mohegan Sun
Applebees next door, as well as other places to eat pick up things nearby
clean
free breakfast
fitness center got in a good 30 minutes on the elliptical
pool ( didnt use)
comfy bed
nice bathroom
microwave and fridge in room ( i didnt use as just there for the night)

Con:
I really shouldnt even say as fairly common in hotels, but everytime the wall unit came on would vibrate then make a noise, no biggie really but again no place is perfect

Room Tip: I stayed on 2nd floor and it was fine, quiet other than the wall unit
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ParagParekh1982, Manager at Hampton Inn - Groton, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and we are glad that our Hampton Inn has become your preferred choice. We always try to do the best we can, and it makes a very happy to know that our hard work has satisfied our valued guests such as yourself. Please let us know if we can do anything for you in the future.
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We had a nice stay at this place on a Friday in Feb. The lobby area was nicely decorated and there was a free grape drink and cookie tray.

Our room was clean and there were no major concerns. The carpets were old, and probably the only thing I would change in the room. The walls were a little thin, and we could hear our neighbors.

It is close to Mohegan Sun. It was about a 13 minute drive to the casino. The price here is much better at $98 than staying at the casino which was $500+.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smm5628
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

If you can't get a room at foxwoods or mohegan Sun this is close to both for an overnight stay. Free hot breakfast and great coffee, tea and hot chocolate bar free all day as well as fresh fruit and iced beverage in lobby. Very helpful staff and lovely rooms. Don't hesitate...(Applebee's next door).

1 Thank kaylagirl
Bristol, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn, in Groton, CT after attending the Celebrity Chef Dine Around at Mohegan Sun. This was an easy choice because we have had comfortable stays in other states. We live in CT, but did not want to drive home at midnight, an hour away.

Because of what I do for a living (residential property management), I did a thorough bed bug check. No bugs to be found. Phew! I also checked the center of the mattress and pillows for stains. I found none, which is rare in any hotel. Thumbs up! The public bathrooms and dining area is very clean and modern as well.

The staff was very friendly and helpful in suggesting a shuttle for travel. I know the area so I was hesitant to spend $25.00. It covered both myself and my husband, round trip. When I realized the event we attended was sold out, it made sense. The hotel parking lot was full as were the casino lots. Taking a shuttle was very smart! There was a snafu where the shuttle was overbooked. It did not affect me personally, but I felt bad for the people who had to wait the extra half hour for a new shuttle. The schedule was poorly organized. I saw the list myself and there were no names or room numbers on the shuttle list, not even my own. I heard a 1:00am booking ask to get on an hour early, the driver said yes. A whole bunch of people came out at once squishing themselves on board. I noticed at least 2 people who were not even in a seat, but in the aisle of the shuttle. 4 people who booked were turned away, 2 of which should have been able to get on board if the 1:00am booking did the right thing and got off the shuttle. Uncool. I informed the morning staff so they were aware. Tsk tsk.

The beds were so comfortable. I have a very expensive bed at home and theirs is better. Our room had a microwave and fridge. We didn't need either since we were there only one night. That is a very important feature though for longer stays. Everything was clean and neat. They have glow in the dark tv remote controls which is very helpful. The only thing in the room that was a disappointment was there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom. You can use your own imagination for why that is a problem when there are no windows.

All and all, I will be going back next winter for the 2014 Sun & Wine fest. I learned quite a bit and will remember my own tips.

Room Tip: If you book a shuttle to the casino, make sure to be waiting outside when it arrives. This will giv...
2 Thank CLR-D29
Valhalla
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Came across this hotel while looking for a place to stay close to Mohegan Sun. The pool and fitcenter were clean and taken care of. Courteous and helpful staff always around and cleaning, cleaning cleaning :). Lots to do in the surrounding area. Great find in a lovely town close to the sea.

Panama City Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Good location for the submarine base. The food was so-so. The hotel staff was good. The bed was marginally comfortable. The heating system had no thermostat. I'd stay there again only because of its proximity to the base.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeff A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Garden Inn Mystic Groton
#5 of 13 in Mystic
Groton Inn and Suites
Groton Inn and Suites
#5 of 14 in Groton

Been to Hampton Inn - Groton? Share your experiences!