“I was treated like a princess”

Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Groton
GreenLeadersBronze level
CT
“I was treated like a princess”
Reviewed March 27, 2009

Everyone was warm, curtious and polite during my stay. From the door staff, front desk, to the restaurant folks etc... everyone put 150% into their job. My room was very clean and comfortable. My evening meal was delicious. I will highly recommend the Mystic Marriott Hotel and Spa to friends, family and coworkers.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Alex12Ct
MMHS, General Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2009
I am delighted that you experienced our high level of dedication to impeccable customer service. Each member of our team strives to positively impact each guest’s stay by exceeding their expectations and being absolutely committed to excellence in every detail. We very much look forward to your return visit to the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa.

Michael D. Allen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
New York City
Reviewed March 24, 2009

The room was really nice and well kept. It was supper quiet though we were woken up at 3a with people getting back from the casino’s. It took an hour for the hotel to quiet the group down.

Restaurant
The restaurant on site is fantastic. Great service, quiet and very romantic booths.

SPA
I was disappointed in the environment of the spa. There was not an area to sit and relax that was quiet and peaceful. The relaxation area is also the waiting area for people who are there for hair and make up. The spa also allows groups to have lunch in an adjoining area which is convenient, but disruptive for those seeking quiet.

The hot tub is shared with the hotel and there were too many young kids around for it to be relaxing. Since my husband and I went together there were not many areas for us to sit together and chill.

I got the 80 min massage and a mani/pedi. The massage was a bit over priced for the area, but was fantastic. My mani/pedi did not match my expectation of quality for the price. My husband was disappointed with his reflexology appointment. I also felt that the automatic 20% gratuity is a bit over the top. Tips are supposed to reflect the service. If it is automatically included then it should just be part of the price.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank b10028
short hills. nj
Reviewed March 20, 2009

We stay here two or three times a year. We've tried other hotels nearby and the Marriott is by far the best in terms of service, luxury, amenities. The food at The Octagon is great. The front desk staff really goes out of their way to make you feel at home; the attitude being "let me know if there's anything I can do to help you." (It's a five minute ride to Mystic so if being five minutes closer to Mystic center is important that would be the only downside. Our daughter is in New London so we're actually five minutes closer by staying here.)

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank ms2020
MMHS, General Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your positive feedback regarding our service, amenities and restaurant. Our commitment is to exceed our guest’s expectations. We are committed to excellence with every detail and are thrilled you experienced this type of 4 Diamond Mystic Marriott Magic Service.

We take great pride in our 4 Diamond Steakhouse, Octagon. Octagon is a Zagat rated premier dining experience where the service provided is second to none. Octagon Lounge is proud to present a unique line up of wines by the glass to welcome Spring back to New England. After a series of tastings we have selected some singularly unique wines to introduce to our guests Six great whites, including from New Zealand, Matua Paretai Sauvignon Blanc, Coppola’s California Bianco Pinot Grigio and featuring Scott Family Estate’s 2007 Chardonnay from Monterey. Just as exciting are our new red selections; they include an interesting Malbec from Carlos Pulenta, Vistalba Corte C; an inimitable Joseph Carr 2006 Cabernet from Napa County and the exquisite Fess Parker standout ” Wild Horse “Unbridled” 2006 Pinot Noir. We believe we have an excellent range of wines to savor and enjoy - whatever your budget.

The front desk team strives to positively impact each guest. I am delighted they provided you with the 4 Diamond experiences you have come to expect at the Mystic Marriott. Personal attention is what our associates focus on daily. We look forward to your future business and the opportunity to host your family again soon.

FL
Reviewed March 9, 2009

I would have to stay the bellman was fantastic but that is where is stopped. My wife and I stayed in what were told was an upgraded room but were soon informed that our room on the 4th floor was nothing like that of our fellow travelers staying in a suite on the 6th floor from the decor alone, smelled foul. For $209 a night you would expect the ritz but we found great food with horrible service and warm drinks fromthe bar that was within eye sight. Who waits 15 min for a water? The pool was tattered and we were dismayed by its condition and appaled when it was offered as an upgrade with a Spa package we purchased and later cancelled due to poor service at the desk! One person to deal with several people? I just could never justify paying what I can stay for in the Marqui or Suite in Mohegan or Foxwoods for what a hotel in Groton, CT seeks. The MYSTIC MARRIOTT? Wait until you find out the hotel is in GROTON, away from the water and a $25 dollar taxi cab ride each way away from MYSTIC!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank here4u12
MMHS, General Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2009
I recently read your feedback on Trip Advisor and want to take this opportunity to follow up on your comments. If you review the numerous postings on this forum from our guests, along with my personal responses, the customer service standards at the Mystic Marriott are outstanding.

I am delighted that the bellman provided you with such a positive experience. I have followed up with our Food & Beverage Director regarding your feedback. Our 4 Diamond restaurant has consistently provided outstanding service with numerous repeat customers. Chef de Cuisine, Chris Cohen creates tantalizing seasonal menus that showcase the very best local and regional produce available. April features a unique Octagon Tasting Menu. Our team truly prides themselves on giving each guest personal attention to exceed their expectations during their stay.

We hope to have the opportunity to provide you with this service in the near future. Please feel free to ask for me directly to make your future travel arrangements to the Mystic area.

ct
Reviewed February 26, 2009

We have only good things to say about our stay at the Mystic Marriott. The room was large and comfortable, all employees were helpful and friendly - especially Frank the head Bellman. He went above and beyond - we could not have asked for more.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank welove2travel2gether
Rye, New York, USA
Reviewed February 23, 2009

We prepaid for two nights over President's Day Weekend. The hotel was sold out the first night. We were given the renovated floor - sixth floor - we have status at Marriott. The rooms no longer come with a bathrobe (on request) or any q-tips, cotton balls, etc. This is made by request only due to cut backs. Our room was cleaned but our bathroom was never cleaned and no towels were replenished. When I went to the front desk to complain the bell man asked if he could be of assistance, I asked for a manager. The manager was at the front desk taking a room service order. When i spoke to the manager she said she would handle it. Although new towels and a bathrobe arrived at our room thirty minutes later, I was without my q-tips and cotton balls. The manager did offer us free breakfast which I declined. We did recieve bonus points for the stay in lieu of the breakfast. Another annoyance, their signature restaurant, Octagon, which says is open daily, is closed Sunday and Mondays - this could be due to the off-season. Front desk was super accomodating in providing recs of local restaurants with directions. The pool was great for our toddler. The workout room seemed more than adequate. The close proximity to Mystic was ideal.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank jmpjoy
New Jersey
Reviewed August 23, 2008

Excellent one night stay with family of 4. 5 minutes from downtown Mystic. Lucked into a "24" room, which is apparently largest due to location: it was huge! Two queens with plenty of space between, sleep sofa in addition, desk with pullout table, refrigerator in armoire, windows on two sides (but no views). Spouse, who never notices these things, loved the Bath & Body Works hair products, and said the workout room was much better than average hotel gym (better machines and more of them). Pool is long lap-type plus a small additional swim area, and there's also a hot tub. Starbucks in lobby and a very helpful concierge.l Try Olio (5 minutes away in Groton) for dinner.

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank soresident
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Mystic
#1 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Inn at Mystic
Inn at Mystic
#5 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!