All reviews octagon restaurant the concierge lounge corner room front desk beautiful hotel red door room service wedding parties dance competition off the highway stayed for one night mystic aquarium fitness center indoor pool minute drive king bed mohegan sun
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Disappointing. Very disappointing. We stayed here a few years ago and it was outstanding. Great service. Great location. Everything worked. This time... not so much. First, tried printing out some email from the lobby workstations. Tried one, then the other, then the third. Nothing. Finally, someone comes out to the front desk from the back office and says the printer has been broken for a few days. A few days? A printer? Seriously... what can they cost? $300?

Walking down the hallway, it was tray after tray on the floor outside rooms for hours on end. Staff walk by and just either don't see them or have determined it's not within their job description to actually pick them up and return them to the kitchen.

At night, went to the Concierge Lounge at around 7:15. Everything was gone but the water. Seems that they no longer send up a lot of food to the lounge anymore, so if you stay on that level and want to partake, get there at 5:30. And don't let the sign fool you... it's not really staffed from 6:30am. In fact, it's not staffed until early afternoon. When we questioned the discrepancy, the front desk clerk just shrugged and said, "I guess we'll have to update that." Ya think? How about at least updating the website so that what you say will be there is actually there? That would be a good start.

On the positive side, breakfast was very good... but in the final analysis, this looks to me like a property that has already learned it's losing the Marriott brand, so they just figured, "Why bother?"

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Fish4Stripers
WHGGuestService, General Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear Fish4Stripers,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. We recognize the importance of replacing items in a timely manner. During the time of your stay, a printer had been ordered, and is now installed and working properly.

In regards to your comment about the trays, room service does floor checks every couple of hours. Thank you for your comments about the concierge lounge- we have been trying out a few new processes based on guest feedback. We will offer dinner and salad from 5:30 to 7:30 pm and dessert until 10:30. The concierge lounge is no longer staffed at 6:30 am since we moved the elite breakfast to the restaurant. Based on positive guest feedback, this has been the favorable option.

Again, thank you for providing your feedback as it helps us to continuously improve.

Regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed here one night while touring area colleges. It is a beautiful hotel with a grand entrance. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is a Starbucks in the lobby and a hotel/bar. We watched the World Cup while grabbing a snack at the bar/pub which is family friendly. The food was good. The room was impeccably clean with free Wi-Fi. The pool was closed for repair while we were there but we didn't have time to enjoy it anyway. Good location and a quick drive to Mystic.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I booked a room here for 2 nights in a king size bed and when I checked in was given a small room with 2 double beds. They told me they were unable to change the room as everything was booked ( however I knew the hotel was not booked as some people in the wedding I was attending cancelled their reservations) The staff at the front desk was unhelpful, and gave short responses when not answering my questions or trying to fix the problem. The decor is old and outdated, and room service did not clean the room after my first nights stay. I had to call down for clean towels, and extra toiletrees. The stay overall was probably equivalent to a super 8 or other cheap motel, the only difference was the astronomical price I paid for this horrible service. I will not recommend this place to my friends or family, nor will I choose to stay at another Marriott again as it was not worth the money.

Room Tip: No matter what you book, it will not be what you get. Book a king bed, you'll get 2 double beds instead, and be unable to change rooms. good luck.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mary M

Dear Mary M.,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. We appreciate guest feedback as it helps us to continuously improve.

I understand how you feel regarding your room reservation. Please be advised that the room sizes are the same whether it be a king size bed or two double beds. There is a chance your king size bed reservation was put in as a request and not a guarantee. I would be happy to further investigate these concerns and encourage you to contact me so that I can personally check into your reservation.

I hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you what an excellent experience you can have here.

Regards,

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Booked a King Bed room and when I checked in was told that none were available and that 2 double beds would have to do. Was also told to check back the next day to see if a king bed was available. When I explained that I didn't understand how that could be since I booked a king bed, I was told at their hotel it was only a preference. No where on the Marriott website does it say this nor did my confirmation email. The next day I was given the same story/runaround so I checked out and found a hotel that honors a guaranteed booking. I reached out to Marriott Corporate and they confirmed I had a king room guaranteed and that the Mystic Marriott mgt would be in touch. It took a week for them to contact me and they haven't responded to my response yet. If you stay here understand that everything is a preference and mgt cares little about Marriott Rewards members. I feel mgt was very dishonest with me and is unwilling to come clean, Marriott should be embarrassed to have their name on this hotel.

Room Tip: Wish I could help you with this but it seems like luck of the draw.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ed P
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed on a Saturday night to visit Mystic and Mohegan Sun. As a Marriott Gold member, I try to stay at Marriott properties. It was a pricey $209 but its full tourism season and the hotel was packed with wedding parties.

We checked in 3pm. We had a friendly check-in agent who was very knowledgeable about the area and hotel. I was very pleased to hear that the Concierge Lounge remains available for snacks and soft drinks even when its not staffed/fully operating! Big kudos for that! Other Marriotts should take notice and follow suit!

The only thing that bothered me during the check-in process was that when I asked for a gold member room upgrade... I was informed I was checking in early and she was not sure of room availability. It was 3pm! Apparently check in is officially at 4 p.m. That is quite late by today's standards and was a silly response. Either way, I was offered an upgrade to a standard room on the Concierge Level floor or a lower floor room with an upgraded bathroom. I left that choice up to my girlfriend and we took the standard room on the concierge level. She assumed it was better to be on the top floor and have no one above us... considering it was a wedding weekend there.

The room was clean and neat... but looked a little tired in terms of colors and styles. It just looked very early 2000's with the carpets and doors. The headboard needed changing out too... just old looking. But it had all the standard Marriott desks, beds, lamps, and toiletries.

The phones did not work properly. It was difficult to pick up a line and in my room specifically.... to dial the voice mail it dialed to the front desk. Those phones need a MAJOR upgrade. I am quite tech savvy and there was some major glitches! It also felt like a 1999 cordless phone.

We enjoyed the concierge lounge for water and soda. I also called for a robe and within minutes it was at my door!

Now because the lounge is not officially open, we had vouchers for breakfast at the buffet! It was excellent! It had a great spread of fruit, made to order omelets, pastries, breads, juices, etc. It was quite a spread and well done! The omelet chef on the morning of Sunday, June 22nd was super friendly to his guests and quite an asset to the team! That breakfast was one of the best parts of the stay.

My girlfriend and I also had a couples message at the Elizabeth Arden Spa located within the hotel. It was excellent.

Overall, a great stay... but minor details to work on.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chrisncraz
WHGGuestService, General Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear chrisncraz,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. It is correct that our check in time is 4pm. I’m very glad you were pleased with your upgrade to the Concierge level floor and that you took advantage of the lounge for water and soda! I have passed along your concerns about our phones and we are looking into that to ensure that each phone works properly.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed the large variety in the buffet we offer for breakfast, and I have passed along your positive comments about the omelet chef to our restaurant staff. I am also happy to hear you had the chance to experience the Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa and that both you and your girlfriend had an excellent couples massage!

Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope you will get the chance to come stay with us on your next trip back to Mystic.

Best Regards,