WINNER WONDERLAND

Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Groton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice hotel, friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed here one night while touring area colleges. It is a beautiful hotel with a grand entrance. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is a Starbucks in the lobby and a hotel/bar. We watched the World Cup while grabbing a snack at the bar/pub which is family friendly. The food was good. The room was impeccably clean with free Wi-Fi. The pool was closed for repair while we were there but we didn't have time to enjoy it anyway. Good location and a quick drive to Mystic.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Cromwell, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I booked a room here for 2 nights in a king size bed and when I checked in was given a small room with 2 double beds. They told me they were unable to change the room as everything was booked ( however I knew the hotel was not booked as some people in the wedding I was attending cancelled their reservations) The staff at the front desk was unhelpful, and gave short responses when not answering my questions or trying to fix the problem. The decor is old and outdated, and room service did not clean the room after my first nights stay. I had to call down for clean towels, and extra toiletrees. The stay overall was probably equivalent to a super 8 or other cheap motel, the only difference was the astronomical price I paid for this horrible service. I will not recommend this place to my friends or family, nor will I choose to stay at another Marriott again as it was not worth the money.

Room Tip: No matter what you book, it will not be what you get. Book a king bed, you'll get 2 double beds...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mary M
WHGGuestService, General Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Mary M.,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. We appreciate guest feedback as it helps us to continuously improve.

I understand how you feel regarding your room reservation. Please be advised that the room sizes are the same whether it be a king size bed or two double beds. There is a chance your king size bed reservation was put in as a request and not a guarantee. I would be happy to further investigate these concerns and encourage you to contact me so that I can personally check into your reservation.

I hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you what an excellent experience you can have here.

Regards,
Norwalk, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

Booked a King Bed room and when I checked in was told that none were available and that 2 double beds would have to do. Was also told to check back the next day to see if a king bed was available. When I explained that I didn't understand how that could be since I booked a king bed, I was told at their hotel it was only a preference. No where on the Marriott website does it say this nor did my confirmation email. The next day I was given the same story/runaround so I checked out and found a hotel that honors a guaranteed booking. I reached out to Marriott Corporate and they confirmed I had a king room guaranteed and that the Mystic Marriott mgt would be in touch. It took a week for them to contact me and they haven't responded to my response yet. If you stay here understand that everything is a preference and mgt cares little about Marriott Rewards members. I feel mgt was very dishonest with me and is unwilling to come clean, Marriott should be embarrassed to have their name on this hotel.

Room Tip: Wish I could help you with this but it seems like luck of the draw.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Ed P
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed on a Saturday night to visit Mystic and Mohegan Sun. As a Marriott Gold member, I try to stay at Marriott properties. It was a pricey $209 but its full tourism season and the hotel was packed with wedding parties.

We checked in 3pm. We had a friendly check-in agent who was very knowledgeable about the area and hotel. I was very pleased to hear that the Concierge Lounge remains available for snacks and soft drinks even when its not staffed/fully operating! Big kudos for that! Other Marriotts should take notice and follow suit!

The only thing that bothered me during the check-in process was that when I asked for a gold member room upgrade... I was informed I was checking in early and she was not sure of room availability. It was 3pm! Apparently check in is officially at 4 p.m. That is quite late by today's standards and was a silly response. Either way, I was offered an upgrade to a standard room on the Concierge Level floor or a lower floor room with an upgraded bathroom. I left that choice up to my girlfriend and we took the standard room on the concierge level. She assumed it was better to be on the top floor and have no one above us... considering it was a wedding weekend there.

The room was clean and neat... but looked a little tired in terms of colors and styles. It just looked very early 2000's with the carpets and doors. The headboard needed changing out too... just old looking. But it had all the standard Marriott desks, beds, lamps, and toiletries.

The phones did not work properly. It was difficult to pick up a line and in my room specifically.... to dial the voice mail it dialed to the front desk. Those phones need a MAJOR upgrade. I am quite tech savvy and there was some major glitches! It also felt like a 1999 cordless phone.

We enjoyed the concierge lounge for water and soda. I also called for a robe and within minutes it was at my door!

Now because the lounge is not officially open, we had vouchers for breakfast at the buffet! It was excellent! It had a great spread of fruit, made to order omelets, pastries, breads, juices, etc. It was quite a spread and well done! The omelet chef on the morning of Sunday, June 22nd was super friendly to his guests and quite an asset to the team! That breakfast was one of the best parts of the stay.

My girlfriend and I also had a couples message at the Elizabeth Arden Spa located within the hotel. It was excellent.

Overall, a great stay... but minor details to work on.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chrisncraz
WHGGuestService, General Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear chrisncraz,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. It is correct that our check in time is 4pm. I’m very glad you were pleased with your upgrade to the Concierge level floor and that you took advantage of the lounge for water and soda! I have passed along your concerns about our phones and we are looking into that to ensure that each phone works properly.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed the large variety in the buffet we offer for breakfast, and I have passed along your positive comments about the omelet chef to our restaurant staff. I am also happy to hear you had the chance to experience the Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa and that both you and your girlfriend had an excellent couples massage!

Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope you will get the chance to come stay with us on your next trip back to Mystic.

Best Regards,
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

This I am sure is an great convention hotel. Big beautiful and full of extras. We were only staying the night and moving on, so it wasn't exactly the perfect hotel. It is in a beautiful area just off the main drag so it was close to Mystic. The area was quiet but the hotel was a buzz with people in the lobby.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Belchertown, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Took my two boys on an overnight to the Mystic area. The kids loved the hotel and the pool. Beds were very comfortable with the two double beds and was roomy up to 4 people. Location is close to Mystic Seaport and the Aquarium and local beaches. I would have loved to use the Spa. Great place for a Girl's getaway. Will definetely return again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Peg R
WHGGuestService, General Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Peg R.,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay here at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. I’m so pleased to hear that you and your boys enjoyed the hotel and pool, and that you found the beds to be very comfortable. I hope you get the chance to come back soon to enjoy that Girl’s Getaway at the Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa!

Best Regards,
American Fork, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

I was hoping to enjoy a quiet weekend at this Spa hotel. What I found was a hotel that caters to weddings and other events. The hotel was packed with a lot of people having a good time. I ate some foods in the bar, and it was the most delicious fish tacos I have ever had. I went to check out the spa. I was hoping to relax. What I found was a very nice and busy spa. So while I hoped to have a relaxing quiet weekend, I found just the opposite. That said, it's a nice hotel, friendly staff, and easily accessible.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Gicko
Dear Gicko,

Thank you for your review of the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. I’m delighted to hear you found the fish tacos to be very delicious! The spa does become busy on weekends, especially when we have weddings, but I hope you were able to relax regardless. I’m glad you got to experience our friendly staff and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Regards,
Farouk Rajab
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Mystic
Mohegan Sun
Mohegan Sun
#1 of 5 in Uncasville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,060 reviews

Been to Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!