“Excellent Conference Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Duxbury, Vermont, United States
“Excellent Conference Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I recently attended a 3 day conference, and I wanted to say kudos overall to the catering staff- the speed and efficiency in which they transformed the spaces was truly amazing. I will say, however, the service at meals was less than attentive- our table never received even one complete wine pour, and we had to chase down our server to get it- a bit disappointing. Additionally, the server seemed quite "put out" to perform her duties, which was also quite disappointing. The food is - well, conference hotel food- but the difficulty of maintaining quality on a hot meal for over 350 guests can certainly be challenging.

The front desk was able to extend me an early check in, which I very much appreciated. The room itself was clean, comfortable, and I was happy to have additional seating even in a double-double room.

I think if perhaps I was here as a leisure traveler, I might be overwhelmed by the volume of business activity, but as that wasn't my purpose, I was quite happy!

Also notable is a good-sized gym and pool, plus very close proximity to great running trails that the front desk is happy to direct you to.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
RI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

First of all, the Sales Rep Bonnie, was fantastic in giving us great rates for the Memorial Day Weekend. My travel baseball team was playing in a tournament at East Lyme, CT. Bonnie gave us a great holiday group rate for the weekend. The place was beautiful. All the parents were really happy with how neat and clean the Mystic Marriott was. The kids really enjoyed the pool. A lot of opened space for the team kids to gather. Everything from the lobby to the rooms were spotless. Close to restaurants and attractions. If we take part in the tournament again next year, we'll stay here without a doubt.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Killington, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

I did not stay at this hotel, but I have just returned home from a 3-day conference that was hosted at the Mystic Marriott. The hotel is easy to get to, has very nicely maintained grounds. Has ample conference rooms and an incredibly efficient staff (they were able to turn rooms for different uses with incredible speed). The lobby and surrounding areas provide ample seating and (YAY!!!) LOTS of outlets to plug into! It's also bright, nicely decorated and comfortable...so that you don't feel you're in a lobby. There is a small Starbucks - which is a big bonus. I had to ask a question of the front desk and of the bar staff and both were courteous and helpful. Not having utilized other amenities at the hotel, I can't speak to them, but if the conference facility and lobby area is any indication, I'm sure it's quite nice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel 2 years in a row for college "Parents Weekend". The grounds are nicely maintained, the rooms clean and spacious. They have a nice little bar in the lobby. The first year we stayed there we had a nice drink at the bar before retiring from a busy day. This past year (both evenings) the bar was packed! There were 2 different "reunions" happening. The event had ended but the guests were swarming the bar. It was loud and you could not even get a drink (not enough staff) and forget a seat or table or the possibility of a snack or appetizer. For the price it was not worth it. We will not stay here this year for "Parents Weekend". We will look in Mystic. Too bad because the location was ideal.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MysticM88, Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to submit your review to TripAdvisor. The community relies on guests for honest feedback, and we appreciate that. I am so sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us, but I can assure you I have personally taken care of each issue specifically.

I've addressed the issue with our food and beverage team to ensure that all processes are being followed for timely order fulfillment. I apologize for having to wait for service at the restaurant – I know that must have been extremely frustrating.

I apologize that your call was not returned and I would be happy to speak with you and encourage you reach out to me directly.

I am sincerely sorry for the trouble that you encountered while you stayed with us and can assure you it’s not a typical experience here. We strive to ensure each and every guest leaves satisfied and has a positively memorable experience while we host you. I hope you do reach out to me personally so we can further discuss and give us another try to change your mind about our hotel.

Regards,

Adam Szafarek
Front Desk Manager
Mystic Marriott Hotel
(860) 446-0351
Monroe, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

We have stayed here many times over the years and will continue to do so. We came in for the weekend to see Lady Gaga at Mohegan Sun. It is 20 minutes from the Sun and Foxwoods which makes it great if you want to see or show or gamble a little bit but don't want to stay at the casino (I can only tolerate the smell of smoke for so long). It's also a short drive from the seaport, outlets, movie theaters, etc. I find the service to always be consistently good and the breakfast at the Octagon that they offer complimentary to Platinum members is wonderful. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. I think it's the best option in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Carmel, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

I was Very disappointed with the virtual concierge service, after waiting a while I had to call and find out where and when my order would be delivered to my room. The rooms were extremely noisy and the walls were so paper thin that I could hear the people in the room next to mine when they were using their bathroom! After 3 hours and 3 phone calls from me the hotel security staff FINALLY decided to call the local police to break up the party that was going on in the room next door and clear the room of all the people in it, at this point it was after 2:30 am! There couldn't have been any soundproofing in the hall because people were coming and going at all hours of the night and you could hear whole conversations going on in the hall! After telling the front desk that I would like to have a late check out they proceeded to deprogram my room key and it took me going back and forth from my room to the front desk 3 times to get the key to work! Upon checkout I told the staff of my horrible experience, they just said sorry! when I got home I left the hotel mgr a voicemail but he never felt the urge to call me back to ask about what happened... This was Not an inexpensive hotel, even with the AAA discount my bill was $300 for one night! It was a terrible experience!

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the elevator and vending machines as possible! Insist that the mgmt. cor...
Green Features: What practices? it was very hard to find a garbage can in the hotel and the one outside near the side entrance was overflowing!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Pam F
WHGGuestService, Director of Operations at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2014

I've addressed the issue about the room service communication and delivery with our food and beverage team to ensure that all processes are being followed for timely order fulfillment. I apologize for having to worry about whereabouts and timeliness of your order – I know that must have been extremely frustrating.

The issue regarding the noise on the floor in which you were staying has most certainly been addressed with our front desk team. We have strict policies regarding guest safety and comfort and I am sorry to say that our team that our team missed the mark on adhering to those policies. In addition, the missteps on our part regarding your keycard programming have been addressed. Because of these issues that you’ve brought to light, we’ve met with our team and begun conducting a vigorous refresh of customer satisfaction.

Regards,
Tina Fleming
Director of Operations
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

I stayed at this hotel May 16-18, 2014. I was in town for a wedding. I had a good experience and would stay here again.

The hotel was clean and the grounds were very nice. It is right off I-95 and easy to find. There are plenty of restaurants and attractions within 5 – 7 miles.

The front desk staff was friendly, professional, efficient and knowledgeable – all good things. The Wi-Fi was free and the signal was good. I did not utilize any of the restaurants or pool.
The room was good size and clean. The bathroom was also clean and there were plenty of towels.

I was there during the weekend and there were a couple of large groups at the hotel. One night a very large group was in front of the hotel after midnight making more noise than I liked. I did not complain but I was wondering why the hotel staff did not go out and put a stop to it.

I did have an issue with housekeeping during my stay that was significant enough to review with the manager. I thought she handled it very well and I was satisfied with her reaction.

My one criticism is with the parking lot. There is plenty of parking and the lot is safe and well lit. The problem is when you park in the lower lot there is no “cut through”. There is a break in the bushes but dragging a suitcase over a curb and through mulch is no fun. You can walk around and come down the drive aisle but it was a long walk.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Mystic
Hyatt Place Mystic
Hyatt Place Mystic
#3 of 13 in Mystic
Holiday Inn Express Mystic

Been to Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!