“Not Up To Par”

Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Groton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed one night over the July 4th weekend. The stay was just o.k. and the service was below what I've come to expect from the Marriott brand. The hotel is NOT in Mystic. Rather it is located in Groton, several miles from all of the attractions in Mystic. I used Marriott's new on-line check-in which did not work. Prior to our stay, I used Marriott's Virtual Concierge to request a rollaway bed and extra towels. Neither were in the room upon arrival and the front desk was not aware of the request. The concierge lounge was closed "for the weekend" on a Friday - I guess they have 3 day weekends at this Marriott. That was not an issue, except that the lounge was locked up tight and I could not get bottled water for the room. My experience has been that concierge level guests have access to the lounge for water and soft drinks. Such was not the case at the Groton...I mean Mystic Marriott. The front desk told me that the one small bottle of water already in the room was complimentary. To be fair, the hotel did meet the request for the rollaway and towels and did send 2 small bottles of water to the room. But, Marriott should not set the expectation with the on-line check--in and Virtual Concierge if the property is not able to meet those expectations. We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, "Octagon". I had a coupon for 2 free continental breakfasts (I am Marriott Rewards Platinum). Our server asked us, "You only have one coupon for all four of you?" leading me to believe that we had been short changed somehow. The breakfast buffet was typical and the variety of fruit was particularly nice. However the staff seemed overwhelmed and the buffet needed more frequent replenishing. The atmosphere was semi-chaotic and not relaxing at all. All in all, this is a standard Marriott property and the service left me a little disappointed. But then I stay at a lot of Marriott properties and when you tout service and set expectations, you need to be able to meet them. Overall, our stay was just O.K.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank PolyPal
There are newer reviews for Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We went back and forth when considering places to say for a recent Mystic trip and eventually chose the Marriott Mystic. I couldn't be happier with the choice. The hotel is two short exits away from the "downtown" Mystic area and the quick trip was very pleasant. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are very nice and the amenities can't be matched in the area. The only thing missing is an outdoor pool. Great place, without a doubt I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Super_Dino
WHGGuestService, Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We strive to be the hotel of choice in the Mystic area and look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Very nice hotel. Beautiful lobby. Great and convenient location to all Mystic attractions. Nice indoor pool. Concierge level very nice, however, the lounge lacks supplies, utensils and attention. Hallways could use a vacuum but overall a very nice place.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Laura M
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stay at Marriott and Hilton properties often. This Marriott is very good. It is true that it is in Groton, not Mystic, but if Mystic is what you seek it is just a few miles up the road. The hotel just off I95, yet not so close as to hear highway traffic, easy to find, and provides easy access to all the quaint towns of southeastern CT - Stonington, Mystic, Noank, the submarine museum...The hotel is well kept and the staff very warm. Starbucks in lobby, high end restaurant, spa, and more.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CTManny
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed 1 night. It was like all Marriotts. We enjoyed our stay and really wished we would have stayed longer here instead of going to the Mystic Whaler Inn(it was AWFUL). I would without a doubt stay here again! It was great, like all Marriotts are!

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed at this hotel after attending a wedding nearby with some friends. The staff was so friendly and accomodating and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. There is a great restaurant and bar on site along with a Starbucks in the lobby. I used the gym which had lots of equipment and an indoor pool. The location is perfect to visit all of the Mystic tourist attractions. The Red Door Spa is right at the hotel too for any treatments you could want. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We love this hotel and stay here every time we go to Foxwoods. It's a beautiful property, the staff is knowledgeable, very friendly, and helpful (though we were given incorrect directions to the Cross Sound Ferry). The entire hotel is spotless and the rooms, though small, are well appointed and clean.

I usually treat myself to a spa treatment at the Elizabeth Arden Spa, which is attached to the hotel, but I didn't have time on this trip.

We didn't eat in the restaurant this time, but the food is always good. I did manage to grab a quick coffee on the go at the Starbucks in the lobby.

My only issue with this stay was the shower curtain liner in our bathroom, it was abut 6" too long and dragged on the bottom of the tub. It was rather gross to think it had soap, etc from prior use. Maybe raising the shower rod would help.

We'll be back soon, but will probably request a corner room next time - they are quite a bit larger.

Room Tip: Request a corner room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Mystic
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#1 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Holiday Inn Express Mystic

Been to Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!