WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa

Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Groton
GreenLeadersBronze level
“DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Prior to checking in - on the phone - I requested a late checkout. Was told OK - 2pm. On my departure day I was told we must be out by 12. Upon check -in- told that the request for two beds is just a request - they tried giving our family one bed & a pull out couch!! During - room had hair dangling from the bathroom vanity - the shower liner holder was broken. When asking the desk for requests - the answers are "no". Unbelievable - you are MUCH better off staying one exit down the highway at the HAMPTON INN. Their prices are reasonable - and they offer free breakfast. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TRAVELING-1260

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Glastonbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

We frequented the hotel often and were always pleased with the service. This year the hotel was upgraded, all Marriott hotels were upgraded and because of this prices were increased. No longer worth going to the hotel as the location is horrible. Room views are of highways and it is a few mile drive to get anywhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lauren S
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a little over a week while on a business trip. This hotel is quite nice. The rooms are big, with a small couch to sit on, and the beds are comfy, with multiple firmness pillows to choose from. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There are connections to the TV on the side of the bureau you can use to connect your laptop or other device to the TV, so I was able to stream movies, which was good. The heating system was noisy. I was able to tune it out, but I know some people would find it irritating. The room I was in (348) overlooked to roof of the banquet area of the hotel. I was usually only in the room at night and don't care about a view, but for those that do, you may want a room in a different section. There is a Starbucks in the lobby area, but I did not get coffee there because I had to leave each morning before they opened (6 AM). I did eat at the restaurant, however, and it was excellent, although expensive. I expected that though. The pool and hot tub were nice and clean. The fitness area was decently equipped, although most of the time it was too crowded. There is a Red Door Spa in the hotel, which is a nice feature. I made use of the spa once and it was worth every penny. The only complaint I had for this stay is that every day, the coffee supplies in the room were not completely replenished. I had to go ask for more creamer, sweetener, stirrers, cup lids on several occasions. I'd stay here again for a quick trip, but I think on my next trip of this length or longer I'll opt for a hotel that has small kitchens in the rooms or at least a microwave and fridge. I may also look for a hotel that has other businesses in walking distance. This one did not.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cindy351
North Haven, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed one overnight with my husband for personal not business. I had read good things about the hotel so we decided to give it a try. I am a Hilton honors member but also have a Marriott card. I just never really stayed at Marriotts much because I didn't think they were as good as Hiltons. Lol

This place was beautiful. You walk into a very big lobby and it is nicely decorated and clean! The staff at check in were very friendly. Check in was a breeze. The room itself was beautiful. Again it was nicely decorated and very clean. The bathroom was amazing. The tub and the shower were separate and the tub was a large jacuzzi tub.

The only negative was the bed which was not terrible but my side sloped. And the pillows were a little too firm for me. I need them a bit more pliable. All of the staff seemed really friendly. A very good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dbbohner
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We went to the this hotel over Christmas and had a wonderful and peaceful Holiday time. The hotel's pool and hot tub were the feature for me and I totally enjoyed them. I swam every day and wound down in the hot tub. We ate in the hotel restaurant (Octagon) and found the food far above average. We had quite delicious dinners on 2 evenings and 2 very good buffet breakfasts as well. Service was quite too. This restaurant had become primarily a steakhouse since the last time we visited (2 years ago) at which time I recall a fabulous duck preparation that was no longer on the menu. Also, I missed the chocolate cherry bread pudding that I had eaten there previously. Who knows, next time they will have some new surprises in store. I would say the quality was very similar to our previous visit.

The only difficulty we had at the hotel was their reluctance to provide us with complimentary breakfast (we should receive this, especially when the concierge lounge is closed, as we are platinum elite guests). When I pointed this out to the desk staff, they did give us some coupons for breakfast (but not every day). Overall, we are very pleased as the staff was gracious, cheerful and accommodating.

Room Tip: Its nice to have a room overlooking the lake
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I've been coming to this hotel frequently since 2009. Plus are a large parking, great lobby, and a Starbucks on site. The service is always excellent, the staff is great very helpful with good recommendations. If you are in the area, this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Follow staff recommendation, they are great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LeonardoFibo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We chose the Marriott Mystic for a quick romantic getaway over the holidays with a special AAA rate of $99/night. We requested a high floor with a view and early check -in. Upon arrival Rebecca at the front desk was very helpful and got us into a lovely corner room on the 5th floor. Rebecca also recommended a great local breakfast place called, 'Somewhere in Time.'The room was very comfortable and we had a refrigerator put in for convenience. The King bed had great linens and was very comfortable. My husband wouldn't care but I enjoyed the warm gold and red color scheme of the decor. The TV pay per view movies has a delay so that the images and sound were slightly off...sort of funny during action movies. We enjoyed the pool, spa tub and fitness area. The Red Door Spa looked inviting and will take advantage of a massage next time we visit!

Room Tip: The corner room on the fifth floor is quiet and has 2large windows and a view of the water across th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Mystic
Mohegan Sun
Mohegan Sun
#1 of 5 in Uncasville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,062 reviews

Been to Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!