“The place to stay around Mystic / Groton area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa

Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Rome, Italy
“The place to stay around Mystic / Groton area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I've been coming to this hotel frequently since 2009. Plus are a large parking, great lobby, and a Starbucks on site. The service is always excellent, the staff is great very helpful with good recommendations. If you are in the area, this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Follow staff recommendation, they are great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LeonardoFibo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We chose the Marriott Mystic for a quick romantic getaway over the holidays with a special AAA rate of $99/night. We requested a high floor with a view and early check -in. Upon arrival Rebecca at the front desk was very helpful and got us into a lovely corner room on the 5th floor. Rebecca also recommended a great local breakfast place called, 'Somewhere in Time.'The room was very comfortable and we had a refrigerator put in for convenience. The King bed had great linens and was very comfortable. My husband wouldn't care but I enjoyed the warm gold and red color scheme of the decor. The TV pay per view movies has a delay so that the images and sound were slightly off...sort of funny during action movies. We enjoyed the pool, spa tub and fitness area. The Red Door Spa looked inviting and will take advantage of a massage next time we visit!

Room Tip: The corner room on the fifth floor is quiet and has 2large windows and a view of the water across th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I've been coming to this hotel frequently since working in the Pharmaceutical Industry. Maybe it is because of the area supply/demand, but I would expect more from a Marriott catering to large pharma business clientele and boasting a Red Doos Spa.

Positives: Workout facility OK, plenty of parking, lobby, Starbucks on site.

Cons: Rooms are standard to below average marriott (remind you of busy airport Marriott) and seem to have more wear and tear over the years I've stayed, particularly bathrooms; rooms are not particularly well cleaned; checkin is not usually a quick process.

I've actually started just staying in Providence since I fly in there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Acton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Visiting Mystic Seaport for the Holiday Night Lantern Tours (great!!!!) Mariott is my prefered hotel when going anywhere. I have found them to have the most wonderful beds, nice furniture and decor, friendly and helpful staff and most reliable and consistant brand. That said, this Mariott met my expectations for high quality. I'm giving it only three stars for a couple of reasons - but understand that I am nit picking here and rating it three stars against other mariotts and luxery hotels. [You may say this is wrong, that the rating should be against all other gotels. Maybe, but I also paid premium Mariott prices but wasn't 100% premium satisfied, So against the bang for a buck factor it also was a notch below great.]

Internet was very slow. TV was a nice, large flat screen, but the signal cut in and out every minute or so with a second or two of black screen. The in-room coffee was enough for only one cup (I am used to two at least.) Not surprisingly, there's a Starbucks in the lobby. So if you have more than one coffee drinker be prepared to go without or be squeezed for a $4 cuppa joe. The view (from the upper floors mind you) is only of the parking lot (ample and free).

Again, those are the reasons I found it not a 5 star stay. It's still a very *nice* hotel which is comfortbale, clean and friendly.

-- Additional. I wrote the above before having breakfast. It was not a good experience so three stars now seems high and totally justified. "The Octagon" is the Mariott's restaurant which is a steak house. For breakfast... they have a cold buffet (straight forward fruits, cereal, yogurt, milk). The 'hot buffet' is you order food (she rambles off options like omelets, waffles, etc) and they bring it to your table. That IS NOT a BUFFET!!! And whne we arrived there was no one to great us. We had to wander in after a few minutes and then encountered a waitress who seemed miffed we wandered in. I explained there was no one at the greeter station. She explained she was the only one and 'apologized' (seems feint). $64 for wife and two kids. Okay, dropping the review to two stars. This is a sub-standard Mariott.

Room Tip: Eat elsewhere for breakfast. There are manay choices in a ten minute radius.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank TegansDad
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is the best business hotel in the area. The rooms are very nice (Marriott standard). The Concierge Lounge is good. They had issues keeping the breakfast foods stocked up while I was there. The only major complaint is that the hotel still hasn't seemed to supply decent towels for the bathrooms. Most of the bath towels and floor mats are threadbare. If they could fix this one area, I could give a higher rating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I typically stay at the Hilton in Mystic, CT when I'm in this area, but decided to give the Marriott offering a shot. I was very surprised to see the AAA rate was a $75 savings- $125 vs $199 regular rate- whoa! That's more savings than my yearly dues with AAA!

This property has ample self-parking (free) and check-in was a breeze. I was not upgraded as MR plat, but was told I wasn't upgraded (as MR plat) because no king rooms were available on the club floor (no problem for me, I don't mine getting what I paid for!). I arrived around 9:50, and the club lounge closed at 10. I quickly dropped my bags in my room and headed up to check out the lounge before closing. The lounge was empty, aside from the attendant and offerings. Typical spread of cheese and crackers, fruits, and veggies, pretzels. I was told by the attendant they had hot offerings (dumplings if I remember correctly) but they "went fast", as far as beverages, they had wine, Michelob ultra, a local pale ale, and a disappointing assortment of spirits; canadian club, etc... one of the worst spirit offerings I had seen.

I filed out a card at the honor bar itemizing my consumption of alcohol and left it, along with a tip for the friendly but not over-bearing attendant and headed down to the restaurant for dinner. The food downstairs was fantastic, I had the scallops & risotto, the scallops were fresh and cooked perfectly, as was the risotto, very rich but fantastic.

As for the room itself- modern furnishings, clean. No complaints at all. This property uses lodgenet (big + in my book, I love to watch a movie while going to sleep.) but the room lacked a mini-fridge, which combined with the icky spirit offerings in the lounge account for the 4, instead of 5 stars. mini-fridge is a necessity for some of us! I don't eat breakfast or drink coffee, I need my morning energy drink and prefer it cold!

Room Tip: AAA rate for great savings!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew C
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed here after a day at a nearby casino. I was really surprised because I expected more for a Marriott resort – we have been staying at a Marriott Residence Inn which is much nicer. The room was comfortable; we had an excellent night sleep. We had a view room, but the reservoir was pretty far away. I thought the hotel looked much more majestic from the outside than from the inside, but it could be because there were several events in the ballrooms, and a college basketball team was staying there. We would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Mystic
Inn at Mystic
Inn at Mystic
#5 of 14 in Mystic
4.0 of 5 stars 305 reviews

Been to Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!