“Average - for a very good hotel”

Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Groton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Acton, Massachusetts
“Average - for a very good hotel”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Visiting Mystic Seaport for the Holiday Night Lantern Tours (great!!!!) Mariott is my prefered hotel when going anywhere. I have found them to have the most wonderful beds, nice furniture and decor, friendly and helpful staff and most reliable and consistant brand. That said, this Mariott met my expectations for high quality. I'm giving it only three stars for a couple of reasons - but understand that I am nit picking here and rating it three stars against other mariotts and luxery hotels. [You may say this is wrong, that the rating should be against all other gotels. Maybe, but I also paid premium Mariott prices but wasn't 100% premium satisfied, So against the bang for a buck factor it also was a notch below great.]

Internet was very slow. TV was a nice, large flat screen, but the signal cut in and out every minute or so with a second or two of black screen. The in-room coffee was enough for only one cup (I am used to two at least.) Not surprisingly, there's a Starbucks in the lobby. So if you have more than one coffee drinker be prepared to go without or be squeezed for a $4 cuppa joe. The view (from the upper floors mind you) is only of the parking lot (ample and free).

Again, those are the reasons I found it not a 5 star stay. It's still a very *nice* hotel which is comfortbale, clean and friendly.

-- Additional. I wrote the above before having breakfast. It was not a good experience so three stars now seems high and totally justified. "The Octagon" is the Mariott's restaurant which is a steak house. For breakfast... they have a cold buffet (straight forward fruits, cereal, yogurt, milk). The 'hot buffet' is you order food (she rambles off options like omelets, waffles, etc) and they bring it to your table. That IS NOT a BUFFET!!! And whne we arrived there was no one to great us. We had to wander in after a few minutes and then encountered a waitress who seemed miffed we wandered in. I explained there was no one at the greeter station. She explained she was the only one and 'apologized' (seems feint). $64 for wife and two kids. Okay, dropping the review to two stars. This is a sub-standard Mariott.

Room Tip: Eat elsewhere for breakfast. There are manay choices in a ten minute radius.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TegansDad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Orlando
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is the best business hotel in the area. The rooms are very nice (Marriott standard). The Concierge Lounge is good. They had issues keeping the breakfast foods stocked up while I was there. The only major complaint is that the hotel still hasn't seemed to supply decent towels for the bathrooms. Most of the bath towels and floor mats are threadbare. If they could fix this one area, I could give a higher rating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I typically stay at the Hilton in Mystic, CT when I'm in this area, but decided to give the Marriott offering a shot. I was very surprised to see the AAA rate was a $75 savings- $125 vs $199 regular rate- whoa! That's more savings than my yearly dues with AAA!

This property has ample self-parking (free) and check-in was a breeze. I was not upgraded as MR plat, but was told I wasn't upgraded (as MR plat) because no king rooms were available on the club floor (no problem for me, I don't mine getting what I paid for!). I arrived around 9:50, and the club lounge closed at 10. I quickly dropped my bags in my room and headed up to check out the lounge before closing. The lounge was empty, aside from the attendant and offerings. Typical spread of cheese and crackers, fruits, and veggies, pretzels. I was told by the attendant they had hot offerings (dumplings if I remember correctly) but they "went fast", as far as beverages, they had wine, Michelob ultra, a local pale ale, and a disappointing assortment of spirits; canadian club, etc... one of the worst spirit offerings I had seen.

I filed out a card at the honor bar itemizing my consumption of alcohol and left it, along with a tip for the friendly but not over-bearing attendant and headed down to the restaurant for dinner. The food downstairs was fantastic, I had the scallops & risotto, the scallops were fresh and cooked perfectly, as was the risotto, very rich but fantastic.

As for the room itself- modern furnishings, clean. No complaints at all. This property uses lodgenet (big + in my book, I love to watch a movie while going to sleep.) but the room lacked a mini-fridge, which combined with the icky spirit offerings in the lounge account for the 4, instead of 5 stars. mini-fridge is a necessity for some of us! I don't eat breakfast or drink coffee, I need my morning energy drink and prefer it cold!

Room Tip: AAA rate for great savings!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew C
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed here after a day at a nearby casino. I was really surprised because I expected more for a Marriott resort – we have been staying at a Marriott Residence Inn which is much nicer. The room was comfortable; we had an excellent night sleep. We had a view room, but the reservoir was pretty far away. I thought the hotel looked much more majestic from the outside than from the inside, but it could be because there were several events in the ballrooms, and a college basketball team was staying there. We would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed her back in August 2012. The service was excellent. It is somewhat in no-mans land location wise. The hotel is very nice and the staff was very helpful with recommendations and accommodations.

If you have a car and don't mind driving a bit, this is a great place to stay.

We did not eat in the restaurants or use the spa. The spa looked expensive. We did have coffee from the starbucks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ossipee
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Our stay was great, the spa experience was wonderful. All the hotel employees were so friendly, helpful & always said 'Hello, how are you ladies doing?' Made us feel special. We have stayed here before--it's one of our favorite places for one of our get-aways.

Room Tip: We've never had a bad one.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
long island
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We enjoyed our stay very much, the beds were very comfortable - very clean in the room as noted by other reviews.
We picked this hotel as it was only 25 min. from Foxwoods and much less than staying right on the premises of the casino. It was an easy drive and well worth it. Our room was very far away from the elevators - room 660 so I wouldn't advise choosing that particular location unless you like long walks.
Front desk staff was professional and friendly and we enjoyed the breakfast buffet the next morning.
It is always a plus for a hotel to carry bath and bodyworks products.
If I return to see another show at Foxwoods, we will definitely choose this hotel!

Room Tip: Unless you like corner locations and a very long walk - don't choose room 660
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Mystic
#1 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Inn at Mystic
Inn at Mystic
#5 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!