“Pleasantly Suprised”

Flagship Inn And Suites
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Reviewed August 8, 2008

I booked this hotel through priceline's name your own price and got 45% of the asking price for this place. At first sight I thought it was going to be a flea infested trap but I was pleasantly surprised. There is not anything special about the rooms but they are clean and cozy. I could not ask for more for the price I paid. I would stay here again and I would recommend it to someone else. It is only a one star facility but again if your looking for economical, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank bubblehead82

Reviewed July 22, 2008

booked through hotwire. first glimpse was discouraging -- ratty, run-down, dirty building.

i walked in to see two people in the lobby complaining about the rotting smell in their room. staff wouldn't honor the hotwire price and insisted on getting an additional $25 before they'd let me check in. needing a place to stay, i was ready to give them the $25 but said i'd want to see the room first, especially after the couple's complaints. they wouldn't let me see the room i was going to check into, and the hotel manager started yelling at me for asking. it was incredible.

since i booked through hotwire, i couldn't get the money back either. there's a nice red roof inn nearby...i'd recommend that if you're trying to save money. if i could give this place a lower rating than "awful" i would.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank kindofblue111
Reviewed November 5, 2007

My only experience with the Flagship Inn is with the standard room with the queen bed, so my comments pertain only to this kind of room.

My solo trips to Foxwoods are usually day trips, but when I plan on spending a few days, I stay here. This is what humorist Dave Barry might call a “guy” place. This is not the place I go to with my wife [or girlfriend, for that matter].

BATHROOM:

Tiny. Maybe some peeling paint. Maybe some calking or other substance to prevent leaks. The towels aren’t fluffy. There’s minimal counter space.

But…

The shower has always had a steady flow.
There’s always been plenty of hot water.
The toilet has always flushed

THE ROOM:

Adequate size. The bedspread is worn and maybe has a stain or hole. The room has a certain scent. I think it’s some kind of cleaner or scented spray, but I don’t find it offensive. I consider it part of the ambience. The room has no alarm clock, but there’s a digital clock as part of the microwave. There’s no full-length mirror, but as I said, my wife isn’t with me.

But…

The sheets are clean.
The bed is comfortable.
The TV works [I watched Game 1 of the 2007 World Series here].
The fridge works [I stored my World Series ice cream snack here].

HEAT/AC

I never stay here during the pricey tourist season, so I can’t comment on the air conditioning, but the heater/fan has always worked perfectly. You need to be somewhat innovative, however. The air blows directly into the bottom of the curtain, which captures the air and billows -- rather pretty, actually, but very inefficient for air circulation and privacy. I solve the problem by taking a phone book or some other object and holding down the curtain.

SECURITY

The room opens directly into the parking lot, but the outside is well lighted.

The bathroom, however, is vulnerable. It has a typical house-type window whose bottom pushes up and top pushes down. It’s secured by the standard rotating lock in the middle. The window faces the back of the motel which is a grassy area. The room is on ground level. I’d be nervous if my wife or daughter were here by themselves.

PRICE

Using a coupon website or the motel’s website and not staying during tourist season, I’ve never paid more than $40 + tax per night.

SUMMARY

This is a no frills lower-priced alternative to higher priced lodging with more amenities. As a guy staying alone, I get what is important to me.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank Sanamarl
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I stay in a lot of hotels and I think this one was close to the worst. I mostly stay at Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn. I almost left Flagship and went somewhere else but I had already paid online. My first clue was the "lobby". It is one of those motels where the owners live in the room behind the lobby. There was a bell to ring and right next to that was a sign in big letters that said "We Have A Strict NO REFUND Policy." I knew at this point I was in trouble. My room was 1 queen non-smoking and the price was $50 with taxes. The price was cheap but I could have stayed at Holiday Inn for $30 dollars more, but I didn't know this at the time.
My room was 127 and once I opened the door the smell was horrid. It smelled like it had been closed up for years with NO fresh air. I kept the door open most of the time I was there trying to get some fresh air. I should say I only stayed at this hotel because it was last minute and the reviews on travelocity said it was o.k. Those people making those comments must live in nasty in their own home. The room was small, the bed spread had lots of stains, the carpet was dirty around the edges, the "furniture" was old, the bathroom needed a good cleaning, the tub had some kind of glue stuff around it, I guess that was used to fill in the holes in the tub. The soap was the cheapest I had ever seen, and the only other item they had was shampoo but the little bottle had been open and refilled several times it seemed. The bed was old and sad. I slept in my clothes. The t.v. was old and it was only 19" or smaller.
This is a warning.....stay somewhere else, or at least don't pay until you see your room. Maybe some of the other rooms are a little better.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank mrjump25
Reviewed October 7, 2007

I booked a one night stay based on price, as other motels were $20 - $50 more. The motel has seem better days. The room was a good size with a refrig, micowave & coffee pot. The TV only faced the bed and could not to rotated toward the seating area. The room was clean, but the bath tub had a 2-3" stain all the way across the front edge of the tub. There was some sort of glue on the walls of the tub in 4 -5 spots. The walls show signs of numerous repairs. All the rooms have a bright outside light near the door (good for security) but the light shined in the room because the drapes did not block out all the outside light. I would spend the extra money and stay elsewhere. But first check the reviews of the motel that you do select.

• Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank NewYorkSolo_traveler
Reviewed September 4, 2007

We made very short notice reservations for the Saturday night of Labor Day weekend. We paid $124 plux tax for a total of $140. We were willing to pay this price because of the heavy demand for that weekend. No other places had vacancies on such short notice. We wanted to take advantage of the 1/2 ride to the RI beaches. The only room left was a smoking room, but that was acceptable to us even though we are not smokers.
This property is in serious need of some TLC. The walls had holes in them. The bed was semi-comfortable. The air conditioning barely worked. Thankfully the temperature that night was moderate. I would be careful about using the motel supplied shampoo etc. because of the country of origin of these products. The TV was adequate, there was no clock radio in the room as advertised. The bathroom could use a thorough scrubbing. The parking is very convenient,
The location is convenient, especially for those seeking to go to Foxwoods and not pay Foxwoods prices. The location is easy to get to, and there is a 24 hour diner nearby. Also a Walmart nearby,
I would only stay here again if no other place were available. I have been in far worse hotels in central Asia, but not too many as shabby as this here in the states. This was not "terrible" and worthy of only one star, but it's pretty close.
This place is definitely not for families with kids. Strictly for the ultra budget-minded or those with no other option. I see that this weekend the rate is $80, aqnd other similar hotels are about $20 more. Spend the extra $20 and go somewhere else.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank nuds78
Reviewed April 8, 2007

This place was the closest to the Casinos unless you wanted to stay at a bed and breakfast or at the casinos. We paid 50 for a room with one bed and that included tax. It was a great deal. IT was clean and comfortable. Room 21 is great. We looked at other rooms and some were not as nice as 21. We did look at a double bed room and it was really big great for a family. We would stay there again. Great price for the location. Bathroom was just remodeled.

Stayed: April 2007