“Most Bang for Your Buck”

Flagship Inn And Suites
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Lake Peekskill, NY
“Most Bang for Your Buck”
Reviewed August 27, 2003

I found this place through Orbitz, which gave us the best rate. It was much less expensive than the other motels that were listed, and I was concerned about this. However, since my husband and I only needed the room to sleep in, I decided to shoot the dice.

What a great surprise. We were a bit worried that the place was going to be a dump because of the low price, but were we wrong! Our room was huge, and we were overjoyed to find a microwave and fridge in our room.
We decided we would use this place whenever we visited Mystic Seaport.

I have since booked rooms here on several more occassions, with mixed results. On our third visit, we were given a room in the older section of the motel, and were a little disappointed. The room was much smaller than the first room we had. The toilet handle had to be jiggled to keep it from making noise and swirling, and one of the sheets had a blood stain. However, as soon as we brought it to the attention of the staff, the sheet was replaced. Also, the air conditioner had to be kept on its highest setting in order to keep the room cool.

I also booked a room with two beds later in the summer, and that room was huge. Worth the extra ten bucks!

As long as you don't stay in the older part of the motel, this is the best you'll do for the money in this area. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was fine if you're not a big breakfast eater. They also have tea, coffee, apple juice, orange juice, and hot cocoa available 24 hours.

As for cleanliness, this motel is only okay. Your bed is made and your towels replaced, but beyond that, I don't think much cleaning occurs here. The rugs in the older section can be a little sticky. And smoking rooms tend to reek of stale smoke when you first check into them.

The best rooms are the non-smoking rooms, which are tremendous and very clean. However, they are all located on the second floor, so if you don't like stairs, it could be a hassle.

Another plus is that although the motel policy is to allow check-in at 3:00 p.m., they will check you in much earlier than that if the room is ready. We once stopped by around 1:00 p.m., just to make sure they had our online reservation, and they checked us in right then! Also, one time I overslept and rushed to make the 11:00 a.m. check-out, and was told that if it happened again, I could check out at noon with no problem.

I highly recommend this place. It will satisfy all but the nitpicking types, who really should not stay in motels to begin with, as they always expect hotel quality. As for my husband and I, we will continue to book here as long as their price is the lowest.

3 Thank teachernthehood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed July 24, 2003

The most rude staff I have ever met, our stay for 6 days was a consistent battle. Rooms were dirty, sheets on the beds were old...the air conditioners were ancient, I wonder if they even have a maitenence staff. Like the above poster you seem to get what you pay for..and in this case...we got low budget.

Travelers are raving about these Groton hotels

Reviewed April 13, 2003

Difficultly to book a room caused probelms and the sr. staff was very rude and arrogant in helping to resolve the problem. A very disorganized facility. with not concern for customer service just a fast buck

Reviewed November 1, 2002

stayed here and found the rooms to be outdated. thin walls and older carpeting were what i noticed first. air conditioners were window units that took hours to cool the room and didn't seem to be serviced for some time. cable tv and the fridge/microwave combo were a plus.

Reviewed October 19, 2002

Had an incredible stay. Room was super clean... great amenities... refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, freezer, hairdryer, iron/board, clock radio. Well maintained and friendly people. For the price, you can't beat it. I'll be back.