“Nice place to visit.”

The Submarine Force Museum
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Groton
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of the world's first nuclear submarine has several other exhibits on the history of submarines.
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The Submarine Museum has always been right down the street but I never went there since my father was on submarines for 30 years and I have been on quite a few for dinners. But, I did go after my father passed away just to go back in time a bit. It is free, that was the best thing. Then I went down on the sub and it brought back so many memories. It is not a guided tour, but the do have handsets you can use for the tour. There were a lot of interesting things to see and it will give you an idea of how so many sailors live in very tight quarters under water for six months. You have a better understanding of what our submarine sailors go through for our freedom. If you have the time It is worth it to stop and go through and also check out some interesting things in the museum. Oh, and this would be impossible to go through if you are in a wheelchair or have trouble walking. No handicap facilities on the submarine. You could visit the museum part though.

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"on display"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We love our troops in our family and museum's like this are important to us. Visiting it on Veteran's Day made it all the more special. Imagine the profound disappointment my 7 year old son felt when we were told that the USS Nautilus Submarine was closed to visitors for basic maintenance. Closed on Veteran's Day Weekend? Seriously, what scrooge thought that was the right decision? I hope he/she is happy that they disappointed so many children who are the future of this country.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We saw on the website prior to our visit that they would be closed for a few days for updating but would open 11/10/13 to be ready for Veterans Day. We visited the Museum 11/10/13 and the museum was open but you could not tour the submarine Nautilus. We were very disapointed in this and thought they could have done a better job on the website. We would have waited to visit the Museum at another time so we could complete all we wanted to see.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I guess I am lucky. I got a one-on-one tour. My BF is retired from the Navy. I was impress at all the interesting things there. I love museums.They also had new recruiters there on a scavenger hunt. And stopped by the gift shop there.