“The USS Nautilus is a "Must see"!”

The Submarine Force Museum
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Groton
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of the world's first nuclear submarine has several other exhibits on the history of submarines.
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We take the kids pretty frequently to this great submarine museum, visit the USS Nautilus and enjoy a piece of modern history preserved in its entirety. Crammed spaces to go through, but awsome to see. You get a self guided/recorded tour and friendly and helpful staff. Don't rush the tour because it can end in 5 minutes if you are rushing and you will miss the details. Look at the details of the torpedoes and the launch compartments, every time I go I see something new and enjoy the visit!!

2  Thank Jalal A
in 12 reviews
"on display"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stopped on the way back to Boston from Mystic Seaport. Free admission and parking. But lots to see! If you are even remotely into subs or military hardware you WILL love this place. If you aren't, you should still find it interesting - lots of exhibits even the layman would enjoy. Real subs, cutaways of others, lots of pretty diagrams and pictures. And Santa was peaking out of one sub, which my daughter spotted and laughed and laughed. Tour the actual Nautilus with (free) supplied audio self-paced tour material.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I recently took my boyfriend on a surprise birthday trip to Groton, mostly because I saw the wonderful reviews on this website; and we were not disappointed! We almost accidentally went into the actual naval base, as that's where the line was headed and we didn't have GPS, but luckily we saw the sign before actually entering it. The museum is much larger than I thought it was going to be, with plenty of torpedo's, artifacts and other interesting facts about submarine's I wouldn't have known before.

We spent about 2 hours, though we could have stayed longer if we weren't really hungry, and it was my boyfriend's favorite part of the trip. The inside of the USS Nautilus was really great, with a self-guided audio tour and plenty of dioramas that showed how life was lived on the sub. The actual tour was probably only half of the whole submarine, with a lot of it showing the cabins and mess hall, and it would have been cool to see the engine and nuclear reactor room as well. Maybe next time.

There was a group of Boy Scouts in the museum as well, so it's definitely kid friendly-though probably not too too young. Overall great museum, lots of fun and very well kept!

1  Thank Mirandarosepetal
Reviewed December 2, 2012

A free museum which outlines the history of submarines in the U.S. as well as a self-guided tour of the first nuclear sub, Nautilus. Great fun for everyone!