“Hilton Groton - You really did not cut it!!”

Hilton Garden Inn Mystic Groton
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Hilton Groton - You really did not cut it!!”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We were greeted at the Hilton by a lovely member of staff that, when I explained it was my husbands 60th birthday, gave us some free breakfast vouchers for both mornings we were there. That is where the great time we were expecting ended.. Upon entering our room we noticed that the duvets on the beds had little bumps all over them - upon close inspection we realized it was due to the washing - all the insides had bunched up into little wads. I went down to reception and saw a different receptionist who actually laughed when I complained! She did send up a couple of nylon type blankets - which had cigarette burns in them!! The air-con is operated from a wall switch and every time it reached the set temp it completely shut down so we had to switch off completely at night because of the noise going on & off. Also the desk is situated next to the air-con unit and blows directly on to the side of your body so again it had to be turned off when working. The bed which is supposed to adjust either softer or harder did not work - the bed was so uncomfortable I actually slept on the floor both nights. I really do not want to go on with this review so I will just say that this was supposed to be a special weekend in a great hotel for my husbands 60th birthday and by Sunday we were glad to leave - Hilton you really did not cut it for us!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rosielamb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This a comfortable clean hotel. It has been in existence since 2009. As other reviewers have pointed out this is a typical HGI floor plan. However the pool and jacuzzi are quite nice compared to others. Breakfast is good and unlike other reviews the staff is attentive. I have stayed at this HGI over 30 times and I still go back. ( I am up in Groton for business frequently).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Williamstown, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have recently stayed in quite a few HGI's, and this one was typical: very clean and comfortable. My only gripe was with the breakfast staff who couldn't be bothered to look away from the television and even say "hello" upon my arrival. There were two servers glued to the TV through my entire breakfast, and while the breakfast is part-buffet and part-order, no one ever came to my table to check in with me (or even collect my breakfast coupon). Usually, they at least bring coffee. A glass of water would have been nice, but apparently CNN headline news was just too enthralling. This is not typical of the experience at other HGI's, as the breakfast staff is usually very attentive and deserving of a tip. Needless to say, I did not leave a tip and I hope this wasn't typical behaviour at this HGI. If so, management needs to adjust its priorities.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jssp90
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Like others who have reported on this hotel, I am a big Hilton fan. And, in most respects, this Hilton Garden Inn fits the high expectation. The lobby was quite nice, the customer service was consistently superior, breakfast was good and plentiful, and the bed was comfortable. So, why not 5 stars? Well, the location was not really Mystic, Connecticut. It really is located in Groton, about 8 miles from the exit to Mystic on I-95 and not really close to any noteworthy attractions, unless Walmart is in your travel plans. The room itself was of standard size with a relatively small bathroom. A perfectly nice place to stay along the I-95 corridor, but I'll drive the extra 8 miles to Mystic next time.

Room Tip: The hotel is a bit off the main highway, so noise should not be a problem no matter what side of the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

Hilton never let's you down. Clean rooms, beautiful lobby, pool, and exercise area. Recieved two free breakfast passes which was delicious with many choices. Would definitely recommend. Only down side is its about 5-10 min away from the city mall and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2012
Wadsworth, Ohio
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My husband and I went to visit my son in Westerly, RI and this hotel popped up when I searched the vicinity for a hotel to stay at. The hotel itself is very nice, clean and seems to be updated. Our room was a pleasure especially when I recall a recent stay at another hotel elsewhere. We had purchased a bed and breakfast plan and we found the breakfast to be very good. The staff at the hotel from the front desk to the dining area were very helpful. My only complaint is that the occupants of the room beside ours decided to party quite loudly and late at night on our second night there, I heard later that there was a wedding party staying at the hotel. I had to call the front desk at 1:30AM to complain to the front desk. The fella asked me if we wanted to be moved to another room at that time of night, which we did not want to do. We were in bed and in the middle of our stay, unpacked, etc. I thought that was a poor offer to remedy the situation. He offered to call the room and ask them to be more quiet and after about a half an hour things did settle down. The front desk did offer to give us breakfast vouchers that next morning but we did not need them as we had already purchased breakfasts with our stay. I can't expect the hotel to be responsible for other occupants inconsideration but since they offered the breakfast vouchers, I don't know why they could not have deducted that cost from our bill. Shame on my for not suggesting it.............

Room Tip: A/C was loud, we just used the fan and the room was more comfortable. The comforters must weigh a 1...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Waitsfield, VT
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton so we could site see and visit the local casinos. The location is perfect for seeing everything. Our room was spotless and had a great view of the forest behind the property. The staff is superior in every way. We can't enough about how warm and professional EVERYONE was. From the front desk to maid staff saying goodbye even though they were busy with all the Sunday checkouts it was a great stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
Hampton Inn - Groton
Hampton Inn - Groton
#3 of 14 in Groton
Best Western Olympic Inn

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Mystic Groton? Share your experiences!