“Great Place to Stay in Greenwich”
Review of Stanton House Inn

and 1 more site!
Stanton House Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Greenwich B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 25, 2009

I was nervous about staying at a "B&B" as we normally stay in 4 or 5 star hotels--but this place was great!! The rooms were huge, the beds and pillows comfortable, the rooms and bathrooms clean and the staff and owners were very friendly and helpful!! The inn is very well run and also very well located, being only a few minutes' walk to Greenwich Ave and a Wholefoods Market! We would definitely stay there again. My husband will stay there on his next business trip, too as it is much nicer than the other much more expensive places in Greenwich.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed August 24, 2009

The inn is a grand house with public rooms on the ground floor and rooms above, making them quiet and private. Rooms were nicely appointed with A/C, great views, and clean! Breakfast was easy, (come any time you'd like during breakfast hours and help yourself to a delicious selection including hard boiled eggs.) Would highly recommend. Within an easy drive or bike ride to Greenwich Ave.'s restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2009

I was very impressed. I had about given up going to B & Bs because they are often so cluttered and "overdone". But this place was classy and charming. Our room was large and beautifully decorated. The beds were comfortable. I would definitely recommend this place and come back again. It was also an advantage for us to have free wi-fi.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2009

My finacee and I wanted to have our immediate family stay at The Stanton house Inn on the weekend of our wedding this coming August. We were first told that only a Saturday stay night required a two-night minimum. The wedding is on Sunday so when the innkeepers were told that some of the guests would only stay on Sunday, they changed their policy to say that Sunday also required a two-night stay. When we inquired about hosting a dinner for our families on Saturday evening, we were told we had to book at least 16 rooms. When we tried to reserve the rooms we were told we could only have 12 and that they had to be reserved by May 1st. Having decided to make room 20 our bridal suite, we called on May 1st only to be told that the room was booked. When I called to ask why we were getting so many mixed signals, Doreen's husband called me back to say that our party would be more comfortable at a hotel and that there was no room at The Inn.

I believe this all happened after we asked if we could occupy the common rooms until 11 on Saturday if members of our party had rented the adjoining rooms. We're not a loud obnoxious party...the members would have been my 72 year old mother, my elderly in-laws to be and my brothers and their wives who are all in their 40's but after coming home from dinner, I thought it possible that some people would like to have quiet conversation in the living room so I was trying to gage their policy.

Very odd behavior for people who are in the hospitality business. Enjoy the empty Inn on August 2nd.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
11  Thank TrippedUp_9
stantonhouseinn, Owner at Stanton House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2009

Unfortunately, every business will have a few unhappy customers along the way. Despite the claims of this potential guest, our policies have been in place for the 25 years we have been in business and do not change as arbitrarily as they seem to believe. We have dealt with similar requests from previous parties who seemed to continuously expand their expectations and demands to beyond what we reasonably provide. This may lead us to decide that the Inn is not suited to their needs. We came to this conclusion with these potential guests after their two, hour long tours of the Inn and numerous phone calls.

We would also like to point out that these TripAdvisor raters loved the Inn—until we stopped bending to their every demand. Consequently, they did not actually stay with us. We are sorry they had a less than positive experience with management, but feel that their rating our actual amenities based on this and not on their actual experience of our location, guest rooms, breakfast etc. is improper and misleading

Reviewed September 2, 2008

I wanted to like this Inn more that I actually did. The location and room were top notch. The Village of Greenwich is lovely. I was given a nice room, just off the front of the house. It is a great option for leisure of business travelers.

I entered the house and their was an unpleasant smell in the foyer. Kind of a strange beginning. I arrived somewhat late and the common area closed at 10 PM. Didnt have much time to make use of these. I think that most people can be respectful in the common areas, if they are reading or just relaxing. I can understand the tv being turned off.

Should I have another trip to the area, I would not select this B & B. A few simple changes and I think it would be an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank BulldogMatt
stantonhouseinn, Owner/Manager at Stanton House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2008

We would like to take the opportunity to thank this guest for staying with us at the Stanton House Inn in August.
While we always appreciate feedback from our guests and value their insight, we feel that the review this guest posted was biased. As the Director of Corporate Sales for a "4 Diamond"-rated hotel in San Francisco, we understand that he may be accustomed to the services and amenities provided by a large full-service hotel. We are a twenty-room bed and breakfast Inn - not a full service hotel. Therefore, we feel that comparisons of our Inn to larger hotels are unfair and misleading.
We would like to apologize for the unpleasant smell in the foyer that the guest wrote of in his review. We had been power-washing and painting the front of the house shortly before his arrival.
While we regret that this guest was unable to enjoy our common areas for a longer period, we do enforce their hours of use for the comfort and convenience of our guests.
We have guest rooms located to the side of each common room, and we close the common areas at 10:00pm for the consideration of the guests staying in these rooms. A significant number of our guests are business travelers who enjoy our quiet and peaceful atmosphere, and are eager for a good night's rest. By enforcing the common areas' hours of operation, we are able to offer these guests a peaceful haven away from the office.
We hope that you will find this response helpful in understanding our policies and the reasons we have for implementing them. We have written to this guest dierectly to address these issues. We are happy to hear that he enjoyed his room itself, but we regret that, due to the brevity of his stay, he did not bring these issues to our attention while here at the Inn.

Reviewed February 10, 2008

For just a little more than you would pay to stay at a sterile chain hotel, you can stay at this architecturally charming inn.

We don't stay in B&B's often as we value our privacy and they can be noisy . We stayed on the 3rd floor and didn't hear any creaking floors or slamming doors - it was perfect! Because this was more of an inn, the owners were there when we needed them but not over-bearing as can be the case in some B&B's.

The only negative...I broke open my croissant one morning to be greeted by green mold ....the owners were highly apologetic and replaced the offending item with a much fresher specimen, however, anyone that knows anything about great breakfasts should know that croissants don't stay fresh for long, and should be supplied daily.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2007

I have been a guest at the Stanton House Inn over 40 times. Having traveled extensively I can give it an unqualified "tops in Bed and Breakfast Inns" with no hesitation. This is not a chain hotel, with noisy bar or restaurant and anonymous atmosphere and decor. The host family is attentive and gracious, caring for details such as fresh flowers, a lovely breakfast, and a real feeling of home. I often encounter repeat guests, equally appreciative as I am, to enjoy this unique and wonderful "home away from home".

• Stayed: April 2004, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank inn_travellerBoston
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwich
Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich
Hotel Zero Degrees
Hotel Zero Degrees
#3 of 14 in Stamford

Been to Stanton House Inn? Share your experiences!