“A trip to Europe in Greenwich!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homestead Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Homestead Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Greenwich
Rye Brook, New York
“A trip to Europe in Greenwich!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2005

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor, I was a little reluctant to stay at the Homestead Inn, however, I am so glad we did! I am not sure what the other reviewers are talking about, this Inn oozed class and warmth! From the moment we arrived we were greeted in the parking lot and not allowed to carry one thing ourselves. The staff was friendly and helpful when it came to organizing our evening plans. We had the smallest room they offer, but it was really quite lovely and all the decor from the entrance, restaurant and our room was just exquisite. We live very close by, but felt oceans away! The turn down service, robes and slippers were a nice touch and the room was quiet, temperature perfect and bed cozy and comfortable! All this and I have not even gotten to the restaurant yet - superb!! It is pricey, but I have seen worse and the ingredients used in the dishes are well worth the cost. So fresh and inventive, the flavors are just right! The restaurant was packed on a monday night, yet we were made to feel as if we were the only ones in the restaurant and our every whim was attended too. We had the exact opposite experience of prior reviewers. As a matter of fact, Theresa, the owner was on hand to speak to whenever we wanted and the whole staff was extremely approachable and helpful. We will return again and again!!

• Stayed November 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
3 Thank smlev02

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2005

We have stayed in Relais & Chateaux properties all over the world - including the US, Europe, Africa, Australia and New Zealand. We have always found the charm, ambience and service to be above reproach. Such experience was the reason we decided that while we moved to a new house we would make reservations at the Homestead Inn in Greenwich, CT for 2 nights of calm during a busy time.

From the moment we checked in, we found an absolute lack of professionalism, hospitality, and comfort. We intended to arrive at the hotel at approximately 9:00 p.m. We therefore called ahead to order room service to be certain we could have a late dinner. We were promised by both a receptionist on the phone and at check in by Teresa Henkelman herself that the chef would be able to provide hot soup as well as a cold menu . At 9:30 pm we called room service to order soup and something cold . We were rudely told it was not possible. We had to phone twice and argue with a brusque and unhelpful staff in order to finally secure hot soup and a salad.

Our room itself was in such a state of repair that we questioned whether only the restaurant Thomas Henkelman, and not the hotel itself, had been awarded Relais & Chateaux status. The windows were apparently original to the house, but had not been cleaned in some time and displayed mold inside the old storm windows. The bathroom was so minuscule that it was not possible for two people to be in it at the same time . It also had no bathtub, just a very small shower. The bathroom light did not work . There was missing tile in the shower, paint splatters from the ceiling covering parts of the tile, and damaged plaster around the incredibly small sink . In short, it was painfully apparent that housekeeping and guest comfort was a low priority for this property. We asked for a change of rooms, but again we were told it was not possible. We then asked for down pillows instead of the large and uncomfortable foam pillows in the room. We were again told our request could not be satisfied, this time because all of the available down pillows had been provided to other guests.

We awoke in the morning determined to give the inn another chance, and went downstairs for breakfast at 9:35am. We were told that breakfast was no longer being served (it had just ended less than 5 minutes previously), and were not even offered coffee. When we asked whether there wasn't something the chef could offer us , and after waiting five minutes we were told "coffee, thats it". We pointed out that no one had told us, nor were there any announcements in the room, that breakfast would be unavailable after 9:30. Again, the staff simply reiterated their rule and made no effort to see how we might be accommodated with even a cold plate of fruit, bread and coffee.

This was more than we felt we should take , and went to inform the front desk. Instead of listening to our complaints and attempting to discuss them with us, the front desk staff simply argued with us and made excuses for each of incidents we cited. For instance, when I complained about the lights not working and the disrepair of the bathroom, the front desk clerk sniffed, "I checked that room myself and it was fine". She declined my offer to show her the dirty and inoperative condition of the room. This hotel experience had truly turned into the worst of my life - and I'm a very frequent world business traveler. We asked to both check out and speak directly to Theresa Henkelmann - who revealing the true level of professionalism and guest concern at this property - declined to do so.

In short, we received not a single smile or moment of accommodation or hospitality from the time we checked in until the time we checked out a day early. Our experiences at Relais & Chateaux properties such as The Ellerman House in Capetown and L'Albereta in Erbusco -- to more local favorites such as Blantyre and The Mayflower Inn -- has always been that such distinctive properties seek to anticipate the needs of their guests, and attempt to provide some type of hospitality or alternative when those needs could not be satisfied . We certainly did not have this experience at The Homestead Inn. Instead, the staff and demeanor of the Homestead Inn seemed rule oriented and not in the least inclined to change their ways in the slightest to accommodate even such small requests as an advance order of hot soup at 9:30 p.m or a cold breakfast of fruit and bread at 9:40 a.m. Our experience was not only disappointing, but embarrassing that such poor hospitality and accommodations are being offered by the Henkelmans here in my hometown. In my experience , The Homestead Inn does not deserve the distinction of the Relais & Chateaux designation . It is apparent that the Henklemans tout the designation to advance only their restaurant endeavor, and hide behind it to provide an inferior hotel experience.

• Stayed September 2005
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2005

The food is always excellent but it is simply not worth it. The Homestead Inn have confused snobbery for class. They treated us abominably when we were married there, talked down to us and our guests and generally made us feel completely unworthy of their service. We would NEVER recommend this place which is sad because the food is really wonderful and it is a nice location. We were just sorry that we picked it for our wedding!

24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2004

I stayed at the Thomas Henkelmann and Homestead Inn in Greenwich, CT recently. For an extremely expensive and self proclaimed excellent place to stay, they have employed some of the rudest staff possible. A request for coffe to be brought to the room at a 6:00 a.m. wake up call, brought a rude call at 3:30 in the morning prior to delivery of the wake up call and delivery of coffee asking what should come with coffee, ie sugar, diet sweetner, cream,etc. Could not the staff have put all of it on a try and simply delivered it nicely?? A call at 3:30 am was not necessary. The bartender is the standout amongst staff in friendliness and good service. Curt, and abrupt telephone communications were common place in dealing with the staff.

28 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2004

Hands down the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel in my entire life. The bed was so uncomfortable neither my fiancé nor I could get to sleep. The pillows were lumpy and foam (apparently you have to request down pillows in advance - something they told us after we checked out). The room was small and awkward and extremely UNLUXURIOUS. We checked out very early so we could go home to get some sleep and the manager was not there to speak to. When I called the next day to complain, not only was she unsympathetic, but she took my name and number and never called my back. The second person I spoke to didn’t let me get a word in edge wise and then hung up on me, not once, but twice!!!! I have never experience such poor customer service – I have no idea where these ladies were schooled in hotel management, but they could do with a refresher course. Our total bill was over to $700 for ONE night (including dinner and drinks) – and we left completely unsatisfied. By the way the prices listed above are grossly understated – rooms start at $200 – ours was $350 and was the worst money I ever spent!!!

20 Thank Peanutnbutton
Villanova, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2004

I am fortunate enough to have stayed in a number of fine hotels and I can safely say that this is not one of them. The room was small and impractical. The bed was too hard and queen size. The pillows were made of lumpy foam. While the television list offered an array of channels, only a few were available. All of this would have been bearable, despite the $350 price tag, if it hadn't been for the attrocious behaviour of the staff. When we tried to suggest that we were not satisfied with the standard of the accommodation, we were told to phone the owner, Theresa Henkelman. However, when we tried to reach her, her staff refused to transfer us and did not listen to or acknowledge our complaint. Instead, they hung up the phone - twice! These small Inn's do not provide the amenities of many characterless hotels but rely on quaint charm to provide a home away from home. This hotel fails in all areas. I would suggest that people looking for a romantic getaway (or any other trip) try elsewhere.

20 Thank MPG007
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2003

We stayed at Ryetown Hilton for the previous nights. This gave us a clear picture of what kind of hotel is Homestead Inn. Comparison is, Homestead Inn has no Minibar, iron, ice pale, swiming pool, etc. which are common in an US hotel. Its tables in the bed room and bath are small and things would easily fall from their top to the floor. Bed room is relatively small. All these things are the value of Homestead Inn, while it represents a style of life in a New England home. In addition, Homestead Inn is very quiat during the daytime and on Sunday.
We did not have dinner this time, but I know how nice it is to sit and eat there. We often did it while I was lived in Greenwich and in White Plains until some three years ago. Anyway, we have returned home having a happy memory there. Thank you very much.

Hideki Tsubota

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwich
Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rye
Hilton Westchester
Hilton Westchester
#1 of 2 in Rye Brook

Been to Homestead Inn? Share your experiences!