“It has gone down hill!”

Elm Street Oyster House
Reserve with OpenTable
Elm Street Oyster House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 169 Restaurants in Greenwich
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Greenwich Avenue
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have not been to the Elm Street Oyster House in several years but I had the opportunity to go last Friday night, what a disappointment! It must of been dress down Friday because our waiter was in blue jeans. It was a holiday weekend so we were seated right a way because the place was practically empty. When we received our salads it looked like they had just had the plastic wrap taken off them and when I tasted my salad it tasted as if my salad had been in the refrigerator several days; limp and soggy. My friend's salad was removed before she could even finish just because they wanted to serve the main course. When my white and black bean rock shrimp soup was set before me it was a let down because it lacked an embellishment either in the form of a garnish or in flavor. My friend thought her fish and chips were short on the fish. Overall this restaurant has lost its way.

1  Thank Rombutan

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband, my adult son and I dined for the first time on Saturday night. When we entered, we passed a long narrow bar and was led into a separate dinning space which was small yet did not feel cramped. We shared oysters on the half shell and fish chowder, both were quite tasty! My husband had the paella filled with shellfish and my son and I had the grouper special. The fish was perfectly cooked but the sides were way out of proportion to the meal=half a head of broccoli and a dozen fingerling potatoes. Also I'm not a fan of goat cheese and the menu was a bit misleading by saying broccoli with cheese without further description. The service was attentive but we got the feeling they needed to turn the tables quickly, we got the check with our dessert, not a moment later. For the prices they charged, we should not have felt as rushed. We would return but for lunch.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great service,and good food. We were seated on a Saturday night at once and waiter was very attentive. we ordered a appetizer to share and they were served with share plates. The fish was fresh and and the deserts were just OK. I would go back

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I researched a number of restaurants in downtown Greenwich prior to booking a lunch reservation at the Elm Street Oyster House (ESOH). The online reviews of the ESOH seemed wonderful, but the restaurant just didn't meet the quality of the reviews.

The restaurant's atmosphere is nice: simple cafe style. The staff is helpful and attentive. In my opinion, given that the restaurant is in Greenwich and the lunch prices are very high, the food and wine just weren't that great. For the first time ever, I sent a glass of house wine back, as it was so bitter. My luncheon guest also did not like her wine, either. I ordered the renowned lobster roll, which was advertised as being a 1 1/4 lobster. When I received my plate, yes, the plate was filled to the edges, but with bread and cold french fries. The lobster meat was drowned in dressing, and all I tasted was sliced tomato.

In fairness my lunch guest did enjoy her tuna taco. It, she said was prepared beautifully, but I don't think I will return.

Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I thought this place would have been better. The oysters were very good but the fish entrees, although fresh, we're nothing spectacular. For a fish restaurant I expected more. That being said, I would go back.