“Expected better” 2 of 5 bubbles

Boxcar Cantina
Ranked #16 of 158 Restaurants in Greenwich
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Original New Mexican cuisine using locally sourced and organic ingredients. Dine and drink fireside. Be sure to try the "Super Chief" margaritas made from 100% agave tequila and CT raised chicken tinga tacos. Boxcar Cantina is Connecticut's first certified green restaurant.
Greenwich
“Expected better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

The other reviews on this restaurant we good enough to head over and try. We did....
When we arrived we were moved very quickly away from the bar area as we were told you have to be 21 to wait in there( we were with our 2 kids) so there really is no waiting area, we were waiting next to seated tables....finally sat down. Place is very loud, and the service was poor. My husband and I ordered margaritas and kids ordered lemonade.....waiter mixed these up and gave my 4 year old the margarita.....nice job...not !!
We ordered and food came in a timely manor, but not worth the presentation or the time we waited for the table. Appetizers were very expensive, 17$ a shot of patron silver, bottle retails for 49.99$. Amy's frozen organic Mexican is a better bet.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

New York City, New York
“Avereage”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Decent mexican food outweighed by difficult parking and too many kids at cetain times.
If you can go at off hours, when lot is not crammed nor are the high chairs they food is good.

Visited October 2012
Garrison, New York
“Favorite South Western Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Everything about Boxcar Cantina is excellent!!

I arranged to meet a group of family and friends there for lunch, we all ran a little late and a few in the group even later, but the staff were so accommodating and made us feel welcome. I had the best Carne Adovada Enchillada and the Super Chief Margarita is one of the best I have had on my travels (including visits to Mexico). A few in the group were not drinking alcohol and they had the most refreshing and amazing limeade. The meal was fairly expensive, but worth every penny, they use organic, natural and local produce and that means a lot to me, to know where my food originates from.
Boxcar Cantina is a must go to on my list!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Greenwich, Ct
“Excellent food but eat in the bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

Very good food and margaritas but difficult the enjoy with all the children running around the small restaurant. Meal is more expensive than most Mexican restaurants but they use high quality ingredients. Eat in the bar if during dinner hour.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wilton, Connecticut
“Close Mexican Food for Greenwich Residents”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

I thought the food was pretty good here, but there was definitely "something" missing. I found it to be pretty average.

Visited July 2011