“Great family food”

Putnam Restaurant
Ranked #64 of 159 Restaurants in Greenwich
Cuisines: American, Italian, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
NY Metro area
“Great family food”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Our family loves the cajun chicken at Putnam and I like the egg white omelet. Coffee is always good and Juan is always friendly.

• Visited April 2013

“Not your greasy spoon diner”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I were in Greenwich for two hours and decided to have dinner. Neither of us wanted an elaborate meal because we had a 2-hr drive ahead of us.

I had the gyro and my husband had the Reuben. The gyro was served on a very fresh tender pita, folder around the filling. I requested additional tzatziki, which was thicker than a typical sauce (think dip). I spread it on. There were four slices of gyro meat with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and onion. I asked them to hold the peppers. It hit the spot for me and I will order it again.

The Reuben was made with very lean corned beef. This was obviously hand sliced from a larger brisket roasted on the premises. The slices were a little thicker than what we have typically seen. The Swiss cheese had a stronger flavor than some of the milder varieties. My husband and I agreed it needed a little more Russian dressing, which we requested. I would have liked a little more sauerkraut but my husband was satisfied. Overall, I would say I have had better Reubans but only because I prefer mild swiss, more kraut and thinner corned beef. But, this was a good sandwich and very reasonably priced.

We both had sweet potato fries, which are hand cut. The waitress said they roast turkey breasts every day for their sandwiches and meals, so my husband is going to try that next. I am going to try the souvlaki.

We didn't have dessert. The waitress said the rice pudding is excellent and made on site.

Our bill for two sandwich platters, two iced teas, and two coffees was about $25 (I don't have the receipt handy).

We were pleased and will definitely go back next time we're in town.

• Visited June 2013
Stamford, Connecticut
“Don't Forget This Family Owned Gem”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I eat regularly at the Putnam Restaurant on Greenwich Avenue , a Greek diner with a family atmosphere. Owner and chef Nick creates daily specials like Carne Asada , meatballs, and Greek style lasagna. The service is excellent, especially John, who has been there 20 years. They have Wifi so I eat alone and read my IPad or go with friends. Open every day of the year. You will be greeted by owner Sandra, very pleasant. We need more of these family owned places, which I like to support.

• Visited May 2013
White Plains
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Mid afternoon looking for a complete meal on Greenwich Avenue is impossible for no one is serving EXCEPT the Putnam Restaurant. Being the only place serving complete meals in the afternoon was further met with the food being delicious. It was agreat surprise and I do not hestitate in recommending this restaurant at any time, escecially in the mid afternoon, where it is the only show on Greenwich Avenue.

• Visited November 2012
Long Island, New York
“Hidden Gem on Greenwich Avenue”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This restaurant is the hidden gem of Greenwich Avenue. The "Avenue", as it is known in the upscale town of Greenwich, Connecticut is the home of many fine restaurants. Most of them tend to be on the expensive side, but their food is good. The Putnam Restaurant is exceptional, the food is excellent, the service highly friendly, and the prices reasonable! The overall feel is a cross between a diner and a cafe. Finally, the food: Expertly prepared and not over-produced! They do not over-spice or over-dramatize the meal. This is a good EATING restaurant! I have been here many times and almost always order one of the specials. On our most recent visit I ordered the prime rib and my fiance ordered the broiled scrod. Each was done to perfection. The prime rib was very nicely prepared, not swimming in gravy, the potatoes and vegetables were fresh and tasty. The fish was in a very light sauce and succulent. Soups were wonderful and not too salty either. This is, as I said a good "eating" restaurant when you are hungry and don't want to be bothered with strange-looking (and frequently strange-tasting food) at an "upscale" restaurant. The price will also please you, dinner for two (with one coffee) and no drinks was $38. Price will vary on selection but this is a great value. The service is just so friendly and gracious. Other specialties I have ordered here in visits past were meat loaf with mashed potatoes and other broiled fish dishes. Portion size is nearly perfect too. I have always enjoyed coming here. This is a winner.

• Visited September 2012