“restaurant below expectations”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Greenwich
New York City, New York
“restaurant below expectations”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Few weeks ago I stayed at the Delmar Hotel in Greenwich while doing business in the area. The hotel is very beautiful and the hotel staff was very professional and friendly. I especially appreciated the complimentary ride to the offices in the morning and unlimited coffee. The hotel restaurant is another story. First I was disappointed to learn that the chef who I met there few months ago is no longer there and until today the restaurant does not have an executive chef! Second the restaurant service was very poor and chaotic. It seemed to me that the waiters were unable to manage servicing both inside and outside sides of the place, the hostesses seemed not aware what is going on and overall attitute was very arogant. For example: I asked for table outside and was told that there was no table available and I could wait for 15 minutes. I decided to wait but nobody came to get me for 25 minutes until I asked the hostess again. I ended up eating in the main dining room which was fine but simple sorry would help (nobody apologized). There was not one waiter taking care of my table which seemed very unorginized to me. One waiter brought me water, another bread basket, another one asked about my drink order which I already told the first one.... I will be back in Greenwich but will definitely choose different restaurant to go to - Greenwich Avenue offers many other possibilities, especially if I can get a ride with the hotel car.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank wild4ever

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Atlanta
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We have just returned from three nights at the Delamar and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. After reading Trip Advisor reviews, we had requested a balcony and a "quiet room" which were both provided by Room 110. The staff could not have been friendlier, especially the guys who provide complimentary rides within a 3 mile radius of the hotel. Things we loved: Location near the train station and Greenwich Ave, view of water and boats from our balcony, wine and cheese reception on Saturday and Sunday evenings, complimentary harbor cruise on the Pegasus, wonderful massages in the spa, flexibility of a late checkout and the overall feeling of a small, elegant hotel. The only real negative was the lack of a pool. It was 90 degrees and we would have enjoyed a dip! We did not eat at L'Escale but did have a drink at their bar. It is odd how the restaurant is attached to the hotel but very much a "separate entity." We even had trouble getting back into the hotel from the bar. Locked doors and you need your room key. Confusing and strange. Otherwise, a really lovely hotel and we will hope to return!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lovetotravelofcourse
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We stayed to avoid imposing on friends for a local charity event. The room, 212, was right on the water, and an array of gorgeous yachts was just to the left. See pic. Across the inlet local sight-seeing boats come and go every few hours - you either like that or you don't; we did. The bathroom is appealing, a butterscotch color marble, good shower, good amenities, terrific towels. See the pic below. (Do watch out for the tub - it's bottom is not at the same level as the floor.) Comfy bed, turned down. The valet parking staff was especially helpful and attentive. I would characterize the rest of the staff as very helpful and eager to please, if on the young side. There was a very small bit of confusion about WIFI codes, but once that was resolved, the WIFI worked fine. We had a small balcony with a wrought iron table for two, see pic. There is a lively and musical bar scene down below this balcony, at least on this July Saturday evening, but the surpisingly heavy and well engineered glassed doors to the balcony blocked 99% of that sound, leaving only a musical murmor. I was surprised they worked so well. We had no trouble falling asleep. And room service breakfast outside in the glorious morning, on the water, was worth any slght noise the night before. Sorry to sound so positive, but there really was nothing wrong with the place. I'll stay there again willingly. (But do avoid the poorly-ranked L'Escale restaurant, at the other end of the same building.)

Room Tip: Room 212 had a cute balcony and water view, but is right above evening revelers. Not for you if you...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed June 29, 2011

The stay was delightful. The front desk was very friendly and responsive. They fixed a small leak immediately. The decor is very pleasing and the the restaurant is excellent.
You need to have a harbor view unless you will never enter yoour room in daylight!!!!!!!
The spa is excellent , if a little pricey. There is no pool so you can be on the water, but not in it. Internet facilities for printing boarding passes was excellent.

Room Tip: Waterview only..........
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Maryland
Reviewed June 26, 2011

And the little things are what differentiates 4 from 5 stars in a property that is charging a five star rate. The Delamar is in a beautiful location, on the harbor, the rooms are nice, the exercise room is nice, the restaurant is nice...so why the 4 stars.

The hotel has wireless internet, or supposedly it does. We tried the ipad - no wireless; tried the laptop, no wireless. The desk person was bordering on rude with a "we never had this problem - try plugging it in to the wall with an ethernet cable".. which doesn't work for an ipad. We were picking up secured wireless internet from other locations, so clearly this was a Delamar problem. I understand that sometimes there are technical problems, but the dismissal by the front desk person is really not 5 star standard.

They offer a continental breakfast. A few pasteries and a cup of coffee - blah. We were staying on the concierge floor, and they at least had a bagel and some yogurt up there, albeit no where to actually sit and eat it.

When you are charging $300+ a night, you really need to outdo Best Western (we have stayed at one in the area that had an infinitely better free continental breakfast, a responsive desk person, and internet that worked for under $100 a night).

So .. Delamar .. really nice property but at a five star hotel its the little things that count and put you above the chains, and this was missing our last visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank AAndTMD
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I did not stay at the Delamar Greenwich; I spent the night at the Delamar Southport, but was granted a site inspection of the Greenwich property through my job.

This hotel is just wonderful. Tastefully decorated, spacious rooms, great spa. You are greeted with warmth in the beautiful lobby. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. I cannot think of anything negative to say about this place.

The on-site restaurant is equally amazing. Beautiful, well-staffed, and the food is spectacular.

I highly recommend this hotel for anyone in the area, especially in the summer. Get a harbor view room, it is worth it, and stay for brunch.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
England
Reviewed May 28, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights and overall was an excellent experience. Beautiful room, lovely view and the restaurant was very good indeed. The staff were very pleasant and helpful in the main. We benefited from staying on the floor where breakfast was provided, which was great, although we had no table in our room where we could eat breakfast so it was a bit of a 'camping experience'. A table/chairs in the lobby on that floor would be a nice touch for those who don't want breakfast in bed, or maybe a tray? A couple of gripes, there was a $15 service charge nightly and I am not entirely sure what for as tips were still expected from anyone and the one time we ordered a drink there was a service charge which increased the bill by about 25%... Also, the telephone didn't work in our room for the whole stay which was never fixed despite being reported twice. However, neither of these detracted from a lovely stay, although one might expect no gripes at all at the 5* boutique service they are trying to achieve and with the prices charged.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank JonesEngland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwich
The J House Greenwich
#3 of 3 in Greenwich
Doral Arrowwood
Doral Arrowwood
#2 of 2 in Rye Brook

Been to Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!