“NOT a smokehouse”

Cuisines: Barbecue
harford ct
“NOT a smokehouse”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I love barbecue and had such high hopes for this place being so close to home. I visited last week full of excitement until I got myorder. I have been to many bbq places and know never to judge by the decor or presentation. So I will judge my food experience on taste and quality. First of all I had the brisket platter. Gray , overboiled tasteless meat without a hint of smoke ring and or flavor to it. The barbecue sauces were good but should never be the star of the show. Without sauce, the meat was tasteless. NOT wood smoked at all. The pulled pork was tasty but definately not smoker prepared, I suspect a slow cooking method but again, not barbecue in any sense of the term. The sides were nothing to write too much about. premade sides matched the low quality of the meat. I am sorry to write such a bad review but I feel alittle insulted that the owners/cooks would think that the food and restaurant would be acceptable. I beg them to reinvent before too long.....

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank anniem4690
MaryEllen011, Guest Relations Manager at Gideon's BBQ Smokehouse, responded to this review, October 30, 2015
We are so sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with our authentic Southern style BBQ smokehouse. We do wood smoke all of our top quality meats, and regret hearing that you did not speak with the owners or chefs, who all welcome the opportunity to explain cooking methods. For example, our smoked brisket is slow smoked for 12 hours. I am sure that is you were to come in now, over 2 years after you left this review, you would be pleasantly surprised. We suggest you call ahead if you are in a hurry, however, as our business is growing and take-out orders are more quickly filled if patrons call or order online. Again, we are sorry that we didn't get to talk with you directly about your concerns. Had we had the opportunity to discuss our BBQ with you, we are sure you'd have had a better understanding and we could have rectified your dissatisfaction.