“Best Salmon Ever”

J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 88 Restaurants in Glastonbury
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Blue potato chips & chocolate velvet cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy dinner for two or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner seven days a week, beginning at 4pm. Reservations are highly recommended.
Kissimmee, Florida
“Best Salmon Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I went to J. Gilberts for the first time in July and was not disappointed! I had a coupon for a free appetizer and my family ordered the jumbo lump crab cakes which were very delicious. They were each a decent size and we were able to split them between three people. I ordered the maple plank roasted salmon and it was the best salmon I have ever had. I asked the waiter to cook the salmon on the well done side and it was amazing! The yukon mashed potatotes were good as well, but I was too full for the green beans. My family also got a slice of carrot cake to go. The slice was huge so it was easy to split it between three people.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Sarah P

Hartford, Connecticut, United States
“Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had been to J. Gilberts a few years back and remembered it as being good. The meal we had last week there was actually much better than we remembered. Our waitress was pleasant and helpful as well as prompt but not pushy. My steak was delicious and cooked to perfection. My wife being a vegetarian was a little concerned that there wouldn't be anything for her to enjoy. Our waitress recommended the chef make a custom cooked veggie platter which came out beautifully presented and my wife loved every bite of the masterpiece! Everything about the evening was excellent and the next time I need a "steak fix" I know where we will be heading. We finished the meal with a decadent chocolate cake and couldn't have eaten another bite. Nice job J. Gilberts!

Rockland, Maine
“This was probably the best steak dinner I have ever had out....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stopped in Gastonbury because my insane Sat-Nav system routed me through the most congested parts of America's interstates. This coupled with thunderstorms that made it impossible to drive and see at the same time caused me to pack in traveling or the day. So, I'm at the Hilton Garden Inn and wondering what my dinner options might be. Frankly, none of the places had much of a rating. This place was near the top and close enough to walk. I cook quite a bit. I never order a steak out. This place had oysters on the half shell...something I don't make at home. It also had a Cajun Spiced Filet 8 oz. – poblano au gratin potatoes,
shiitake mushroom, port and sherry jus ...Sounded like a possibility to me.
I began with half a dozen oysters and a Tangueray 10 martini. The oysters were small. While the supplied sauces were tasty, I preferred them au naturrel. They were great. The main course arrived with my wine order. I had ordered the steak rare. How do you cook a rare Blackened steak? They did it exceptionally well. It tasted so good. To steal a catch phrase, "It was like Butta." The potatoes au gratin were fabulous. I asked if there was salt and pepper available. My server mentioned that the chef thought everything was perfectly seasoned, but he would get me whatever I wanted. I decided to taste first. He was right. It didn't need a thing. I couldn't have made this at home. It was a true treat.
Desert was a chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache. It with an espresso and a Sambuca was the perfect way to top off the dinner.
The people working at the restaurant were easily as impressive. I watched a table of 4 across from me leave. Within seconds a woman clad completely in black, like a ninja, had sprayed the table with, I assume, disinfectant, wiped down the seats and reset the table for 6 all within 4 minutes. It's an amazingly efficient operation with excellent food. Go. Try it. I doubt you will be disappointed. Oh. I took the remains of the desert back to have for breakfast. If I could only have figured a way to have it and bacon.

1 Thank astro005
Glastonbury, Connecticut
“Never Disappointed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is by far THE place for steaks in the Hartford area. Always cooked to order. Service is great. And an outstanding wine selection. Book your reservations early as tables get booked well in advance.

• Visited July 2013
Tolland, Connecticut
“A consistent performer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We have a friend who loves this spot so we go every six months or so. Food is consistently excellent. Last weekend we had the iced shellfish platter with extra oysters and they were super fresh. The swordfish special was the best swordfish I can recall - moist and again very fresh tasting. Steak was cooked perfectly, sides were delicious and service was prompt and friendly. I don't think you can go wrong here.