“Over rated....”

GreenLeadersSilver level
W. Chester Pennsylvania
“Over rated....”
Reviewed November 17, 2010

Lousy internet and room air conditioning is very noisy. Check in for diamond members not necessarily fast, sometimes 2-4 parties in line. Better choices elsewhere....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ponder, Texas
Reviewed October 4, 2010

I only have one complaint about this place, the internet is SUPER SLOW. I talked to tech support twice and they assured me nothing was wrong, but taking minutes for a simple webpage to load indicates a problem. The rooms are fine, clean and decent-sized. The staff here is very friendly and other than the super-slow internet, I'd return. However next year when I return to the area I'll select a different property.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Alton, NH
Reviewed October 1, 2010

I travel very infrequently for my business so this trip for a business conference was very exciting for me. It was far enough away that I opted to stay 2 nights even though it was a big expense for my small business budget.

I arrived around 9 pm after a 3 1/2 hour drive to a very helpful man at the desk. The last thing he said was "If you need anything at all, please give us a call". I proceeded to my room (#218). All that I could smell when I opened the door was the smell of cigarettes. It was so strong that my eyes got watery after less than 5 minutes in the room. I called the front desk to request a different room and was told that the hotel was so busy, they couldn't possibly help me.

My irritation is this: The room was clearly labeled as "non-smoking" but it had been smoked in and the cleaning staff knew it. I don't know what the policy for the hotel is in this scenario, but the carpeting should have been cleaned prior to another guest in it. My perception was that although the room was tidy, the smell made me question just how "clean" it was. All the little things that I may have overlooked became very obvious including little things like: the bathroom did not have a functioning fan and the hairdryer was broken so you had to hold the button the whole time to complete the process.

My overall feeling about the hotel was not good and didn't improve when I realized that the continental style breakfast was not included in the price of the room....it was an additional $11.00 for coffee, yogurt and a banana. Things did get a bit better on the 2nd morning when we had the option of an "American Breakfast" which included freshly made waffles, omelets, hashbrowns etc for the same price. The staff was fantastic and I left wondering where THAT service had been during the other part of my stay.

If I were to stay in this area again, I would check out the hotel next door (which is the same cost) before staying at the Hilton Garden. I'm not a big believer in giving a service oriented business a 2nd chance to make a first impression.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Air conditioning is motion censored which doesnt help when sleeping. It says 65 degrees but was no where close. It was a very hot weekend and we were uncomfortable in our room. The other item we called down for was tooth paste which they never sent up. Not a very responsive staff. Hopefully this was just an off weekend! Besides that the bed was comfortable and location easy to get to.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed June 25, 2010

This hotel is in a great location - near shops, restaurants, and easy access to Hartford. The staff is incredibly friendly and professional and the hotel was clean. A few gripes - the doors are ridiculously heavy - the exterior, room, and bathroom doors were all hard to open and swung shut quickly. The room was clean, but the furniture and fixtures seemed like they had been purchased at a hotel liquidation sale. The TV constantly switched from mono to stereo, and many of the "featured" cable stations were not available. Also, the fitness center is pretty pathetic. But the location and courtesy of the staff were wonderful. The Homewood Suites, which is next door, seems a better deal - it was clean and in the same great location, but also offers complimentary breakfast and evening social hour. Parking got competitive, as it seems they share the lot with the nearby office buildings. One additional note - the internet at the hotel was very slow. But overall, a good choice if you have to go to Hartford.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank TX_TnE
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 5, 2009

As a frequent business traveler, one gets to thinking one knows what to expect. What a nice experience to be truly pleasantly surprised. From my initial interaction with Jennifer, the front desk agent, to the restaurant service and quality, this visit was filled with wonderfully positive surprises.
Typically, I would say that at a HGI property I get consistent quality that is entirely acceptable, but nothing really noteworthy. At this property I was delighted. Without question, if I am near this area again, I will stay here.
Great staff, nice room, terrific food (though the lobby atmosphere makes it more utilitarian than, say, romantic) and a pleasant location. I interacted personally with 5 different employees and, without exception, found them to be a perfect blend of friendly, knowledgeable and eager to help.
The price seemed a little high for this type of hotel at $187, but I have had far less positive experiences for far more money. In light of the service level I'd say it was pricey but still "of value".
Highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Detroit, MI
Reviewed July 8, 2009

The previous reviews did a great job summarizing this property. Pretty much you typical Hilton garden Inn property. I did not have good luck with the internet access and it was running slow. But it was a clean quiet location and the normal layout. Please see photos for additional views. Restaurants across the streets within walking distance and right next to Homewood suites as well.

Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glastonbury
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,064 reviews
Howard Johnson Express Inn - Rocky Hill
Quality Inn & Suites Meriden
Hartford Marriott Downtown

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Hartford South/Glastonbury? Share your experiences!