“good food poor service”

Ranked #8 of 88 Restaurants in Glastonbury
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Our creative menu is sure to excite your palate. We pride ourselves on our seasonally changing menu selections we refer to as “Kooky Konkoctions”, or, of course you can always create your own. We cater all types of occasions from elaborate full service special events, weddings, parties, corporate meetings, private dinner, backyard picnics to simple delivery drop-offs and everything in between.The Spicy Green Bean, more than anything else, is about great taste and quality food. Variety comes in a close second. You'll be able to return again and again and have something great and different, every time.Our bakery selections are baked fresh daily so each day the selections vary - Stop in and see what we have or call in advance to place a special order. Each day we usually have a varied selection of fresh baked cookies, cupcakes, brownies, bars, cakes, and homemade ice creams!!
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
“good food poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

This was a first time visit for my wife and I. We were amazed at the outstanding flavor and portions of the food. The wait time for the food was probably 15+ not bad. But the service could really use a adjustment. We had one server for the whole resturaunt. When we were eating another waiter showed up and started going around lighting up the candles. We were empty on our drinks our server was lost somewhere so we asked the waiter who was lighting candles to refill our drinks took awhile but we did get our drinks. The floor was sticky and the dining area was hot and sticky humid. For the amount of business you are doing you need to make the investment !!!. I told my wife that the food was out of this world BUT if the dining area was uncomfortable and not up to parthan I can only imagine what the kitchen and storage areas are like.

• Visited June 2013
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Hi Thomas S:
Thank you for coming into the Bean and taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed the food! The service issue we are aware of and constantly working to try to make it a more enjoyable experience. As far as improvements to the temperature, we do not own the building so there is not much more we do, we have installed new air conditioners each year and put a large in the kitchen area to circulate air as well. The flooring we do apologize for, we are currently working with the landlord to get permission to change the flooring. You are more than welcome to come into the back next time you are in to see the kitchen and storage area, we have never gotten below a 96 score from the health inspector.
Thanks and hopefully you will be back!

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Come for food. Be patient with service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Visiting Glastonbury this week, I returned to one of my favorite restaurants in town. (We lived in Glastonbury for 16 years prior to moving to NC a year ago.). The Green Bean did not disappoint on the meal - but the service was typically slow. We had the eggplant special sandwich with artichokes. It was amazing! If you aren't in a rush, this is a must visit lunch restaurant in Glastonbury.

Visited June 2013
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hi Debby G and thanks for stopping by on your visit! Sorry about the slow service, it is something I have been constantly working on and hopefully we can figure it out soon!
Thanks again!
“Terrible staffing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that I have dined here at least 10 times and have generally enjoyed my experience here each time. Today, however, I am sitting in a completely packed restaurant staffed with one server and one cook. There have been five walk outs due to lack of service in the time I've been here. Needless to say, SGB needs to figure it out. I will not be dining here for breakfast again.

• Visited May 2013
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hi Foodie8249: I am aware of what happened that morning. We usually have three servers scheduled to work and that morning 2 of the 3 no showed. This was unfortunate for us as well as our customers but it obviously was not planned. I am happy to hear you have been in 10 times and I hope you have noticed we always have multiple servers on at once. We did have three cooks that morning and one of them started working the tables until we were able to get more staff in at 11AM. I am sorry you had to experience this and I do hope you will give us another chance.
Hope, Rhode Island
“Great food, great prices, love the BYOB”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had a great time at this restaurant with a group of friends. The food is excellent, the prices were great and the service is fantastic. We were the only people in the restaurant during a snow storm, they stayed open for us and were wonderful.

• Visited December 2012
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thanks so much Lauren L for your awesome review of us! We appreciate it!!

Farmington, Connecticut
“Best at off-peak times”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Eclectic menu -- delicious food. Love this place. Reminds me a bit of throwback hippie era but with a modern edge. Very small, so off to slightly-off peak times are best -- otherwise you risk being stuck in too small a space with a group of bombastic men or cackling women -- neither is enjoyable. Many good meatless options. Lots of interesting specials and for dinner you can also order from lunch menu for lighter fare. Very reasonable prices, friendly staff. Bring your own wine for dinner, no corking fee. Great lunch take out -- build your own delicious sandwiches with so many choices of fresh real foods! Tiny storefront. convenient location. parking in back.

• Visited April 2013
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Hi LimerickRoscommon! Thanks for the great review. As a small business owner I truly appreciate the time you took to review us. Thanks!