All reviewswinter rooma wonderful staysmall weddingother guestsbreakfast is servedrooms are spacioustop floornext morningpatwaynecomfortkeuriglinensbrideboston
Reviewed June 9, 2010

From the pictures, this place looks beautiful, but unfortunately I did not have a good experience with this Inn. My now husband and I were to be married at this inn. Unfortunately, due to the fact he is in the army, last min. he was called back earlier than we thought and we had to cancel the wedding at the Inn and do it where he was stationed. I wrote two (2) emails to them, the first one stating that there might be a problem and the second one stating that there was a problem and we would have to cancel. The rep. stated that they never received these two (2) emails despite the fact they received every other email I sent, claiming they ended up in their spam box. Pat, the rep., called me a week before the date in question and asked why I haven't called the JP (justice of the peace) yet. I replied that I sent them the two (2) emails, which led to the claim that they didn't receive them. I even resent them the original emails per her request, and they contained the dates, which were well before the time required for proper cancellation. They then charged my card on 6/6/2010 for the deposit. Even though when I did talk with Pat a week before the date, she did not indicate she was going to charge me the deposit.

Do not use this Inn, period. I would highly recommend that you find a different Inn. Pat claimed this is a new Inn, about a year old, and business was slow. If this is how they are going to treat their customers, they don't deserve to be in business at all.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tgooley
CtRiverValleyInn, Owner at The Connecticut River Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2010

As every hard working innkeeper knows, there will come a time when you get a “negative” review. But we don’t consider this particular review as a “negative” review but as an opportunity as innkeepers to let the trip advisor community know why small properties such as ours have cancellation policies.

Every guest reservation is both important and special to us. We ask that you understand that cancellation policies are not meant to unduly enrich ourselves but that they are a necessary part of managing a small Bed and Breakfast Inn. Cancellations affect a small property significantly because once a room is “reserved” it becomes “unbookable” to others who may visit our website. Potential guests may then go elsewhere for their lodging needs. Most often, if a cancellation is made in 7 days or less, there is not enough time to re-book the room as statistically Bed & Breakfast guests make reservations a minimum of several weeks in advance.

In this particular review, the reviewer (referred to as “T” from now on) booked a wedding event less than 30 days before the event. On the “wedding” page on our website, our Booking Policies are clearly posted. They are actually posted right next to the wedding package that “T” chose and are as follows: “We do require a non- refundable deposit of 50% of the wedding package at the time of reserving your wedding date. The remaining balance for the wedding is due 30 days before your wedding date and there are no exceptions. Full payment for your wedding is due at the time of your reservation if your wedding ceremony will take place 30 days or under from the date you reserved your wedding.”

Since “T” was booking a date less than 30 days before the event, the entire cost of the event was due, but I sensed that there was a financial issue (knowing they were military and all) I told her I would take a 50% deposit instead with the remaining balance due a week before. A cancellation e-mail had been sent by “T” several days after the event was booked, which we were not aware of as the e-mail landed in the “junk” e-mail box. “T” felt that since she sent an e-mail, that she did her part. However, this was a non-refundable deposit.

We would have gladly refunded the deposit, even though we did not have to since the cancellation was unexpected so shortly after it was made, but we were not made aware of the e-mail cancellation until the Monday before the event – much too late to re-book – and after we had turned away 2 other interested parties for that date.

We only found out about the e-mail after I reached “T” after leaving 2 messages on her cell phone and then called her at work. By the time I reached “T” it was the Monday before her booked date. The Minister had contacted me to tell me he had not heard from her yet to go over their wedding vows. “T” mentions the cancellation policies posted for room reservations, but even these policies say that a Cancellation must be a CONFIRMED CANCELLATION. Her cancellation was never confirmed by us because we were not aware of it. This is why a “confirmed” cancellation is required. Much the same way as when making a room reservation, the B&B sends out a confirmation to the guest so they will know they have a room on the date they reserved. “T” should have been aware there was some sort of issue concerning her cancellation since she did not receive a CONFIRMATION of Cancellation from us as stated in our cancellation policies.

We are deeply sorry to the Trip Advisor community that sometimes this forum is used to cast an unfair negative light on a person or property when emotions are high and when it is realized that it was not the property which was at fault.

We hope you read the other 9 reviews prior. Written by guests who have actually stayed here and met us personally, the picture painted is quite different. We wish “T” and her husband well and we welcome them at our B&B in the future.

Reviewed June 6, 2010

This is the best B&B we've ever stayed in. The Inn was beautiful, warm and so inviting. The meals were homemade and delicious. The rooms had everything you could ask for. The grounds around the Inn were gorgeous. We can't say enough of how wonderful our stay was. Saving the best for last...the couple who own the Inn, Wayne and Pat were the nicest, friendliest people you could ever meet.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2010

This is an exquisitely restored home from the late 1700s in a charming little town on the Connecticut River. The common area and rooms are filled with fresh flowers, it is beautifully decorated, and the beds and linens are of top quality. Even though our room was on the street side, it was remarkably silent. Breakfast was also excellent, with fresh white chocolate scones and a homemade frittata. The host and hostess were cordial and extremely helpful without being invasive.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2010

This is a beautifully restored old home with 4 completely unique guest rooms, each with their own character and charm. The owners made us feel very comfortable and welcome, as if we were part of their family. Breakfasts were amazing, with fruit, fresh baked goodies, and a featured main course. One day we had Pumpkin waffles, and the other was a quiche, both hot, fresh, and delicious. Wayne gave us a very thorough tour of the house, complete with references to the local history of the town, and even had documents that they had found during the restoration that dated back over a hundred years. The house also contained many examples of Patricia's artistic pieces, including much of the dishware which were hand decorated. We stayed in the Autumn room, which was very warm and cozy, with a touch of modern design. Fresh coffee could be brewed at any time with the single serving coffee maker. We also enjoyed walking around town, which was both quaint and scenic. We would gladly recommend this inn to others, and plan to return there ourselves.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2009

My husband and I visited our daughter who lives in Glastonbury. We stayed two nights and wished we could have stayed more. Our daughter was able to join us for breakfast both mornings for a small additional charge. Breakfast was delicious and relaxing. The leaves were near peak and the grounds were beautiful. We slept well not only because the beds were comfortable but because it was so quiet and peaceful. We enjoyed talking with Pat and Wayne and learning about the inn and the surrounding area. They have done an amazing job! We will be going back.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple